Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Amazing job on the terminal block! I always though that these things were cool for the build where otherwise you'd have 12 connectors jammed into one >.<'

Also thanks for the "push" for me to get my 6870 under water
smile.gif

Having similar setups I must say that it made something click in my head: if he can do it, you can too!

smile.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I had the spare 200mm case fan laying around that I took out of the top of my case to make room for the radiator. I went ahead and painted it as a trial run since I have never disassembled or painted a fan. I think I will go ahead and use it as it turned out pretty good. Also, I didn't like the brown/orange crossfire link, and I had a spare laying around so I figured I'd paint the spare black too to see how it turned out. It looks pretty good and I will use it too.

Oh! And I got my sleeving in.

All disassembled -

fanpaintjob.jpg

Unpainted spare crossfire link -

fanpaintjob1.jpg

All done, The crossfire link is on the fan... kinda hard to see.
cheers.gif

fanpaintjob2.jpg

and my sleeving -

sleeving.jpg

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulkPull;12125415
I had the spare 200mm case fan laying around that I took out of the top of my case to make room for the radiator. I went ahead and painted it as a trial run since I have never disassembled or painted a fan. I think I will go ahead and use it as it turned out pretty good. Also, I didn't like the brown/orange crossfire link, and I had a spare laying around so I figured I'd paint the spare black too to see how it turned out. It looks pretty good and I will use it too.

Oh! And I got my sleeving in.

All disassembled -

Unpainted spare crossfire link -

All done -

and my sleeving -

sleeving.jpg
Black only?

Good luck on the sleeving!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Niiice, but no picture of the painted crossfire link? Looking good so far though
Nevermind. It was hard to see it on the fan XD

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Did a bit of sleeving tonight. The fans on my external rad were the first to be sleeved, and my they were my first sleeving job ever. I think they turned out fairly well. It was a great learning experience to get me ready for the PSU.
biggrin.gif

sleeving2.jpg

sleeving1.jpg

Unfortunatly, the PSU sleeving will have to wait until this weekend. I have to work all week and will need my computer. But this weekend my schedule is wide open and I can't wait to sleeve the PSU and my case wires, it should really tie the whole build together.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Pretty Sexy if I do say so myself

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Nice job; looks very good for a first sleeving job!
If you want an advice, try stretching the sleeve more. Also, try to cut all the heatshrinks on the same size; when you put them on, make sure the little bump (end of sleeve) is in the middle.
Looking forward for the PSU!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnur;12136094
Nice job; looks very good for a first sleeving job!
If you want an advice, try stretching the sleeve more. Also, try to cut all the heatshrinks on the same size; when you put them on, make sure the little bump (end of sleeve) is in the middle.
Looking forward for the PSU!
Ya, thanks for the advice. Like I said, it was a learning experience. I did try to stretch the sleeve but since the heatsrink was only grabbing onto wire and no pins, it just pulled the sleeve and heat shrink up the wire. is there a way to avoid this when doing my psu? Because I will be sleeving from the pin all the way to the inside of my psu. If I srink the heatshrink around the sleeving and onto the plug pin then stretch the sleeving and shrink the heatshrink onto the psu side of the wire, won't it just slip on the wire again thus unstretching my stretch.

Any advice would be great.
cheers.gif

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulkPull;12136487
Ya, thanks for the advice. Like I said, it was a learning experience. I did try to stretch the sleeve but since the heatsrink was only grabbing onto wire and no pins, it just pulled the sleeve and heat shrink up the wire. is there a way to avoid this when doing my psu? Because I will be sleeving from the pin all the way to the inside of my psu. If I srink the heatshrink around the sleeving and onto the plug pin then stretch the sleeving and shrink the heatshrink onto the psu side of the wire, won't it just slip on the wire again thus unstretching my stretch.

Any advice would be great.
cheers.gif
Heh, your learning experience was better than mine
smile.gif

You might want to heat the heatshrink a bit longer; just a bit. If you're using a lighter, make sure you go with the blue flame part. If you're using a heat gun, well, make it half a second longer.

With the last sleeving I did, I had issues with some heatshrinks staying and other wouldn't. Over time I just decided to let the heat stay a bit longer and I've seen an increasing amount of "sticky" heatshrinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FannBlade;12138433
Try and find heat shrink with adhesive in it. That way it will be stuck to they wire and won't slide.
Adhesive is personal preference but I don't love it; hard to "re-sleeve" if you miss and are looking for perfection (or at least trying to get there...)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I found some time to add some much needed light to me case. I did not like the blue lights that came stock with the sniper, so I got rid of the blue LEDs and added a touch of red.

My red parts (I am learning how to use my wife's camera, finally) -

lights6.jpg

The switch to turn on and off the LED strips installed -

lights4.jpg

lights3.jpg

I mocked up the wiring to make sure the LED strips and switch would work. It did -

lights5.jpg

All done. You'll notice the side panel fan is not on. I did not wire it up on purpose as I have the stuff incoming to add a window side panel and the fan will no longer be used -

lights2u.jpg

lightsy.jpg

Still hoping to sleeve the PSU and case wires with the MDPC sleeving weekend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lovely build, especially those EK blocks and bridge, how many hours of work do have in it?
smile.gif

Man these water cooling logs are so tempting....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakboy;12163140
Lovely build, especially those EK blocks and bridge, how many hours of work do have in it?
smile.gif

Man these water cooling logs are so tempting....
It would probably be easier to measure my time in by days... not hours.
cheers.gif

41 - 60 of 128 Posts