Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i got some very generous parts from a member here when he decided to give away his old build.

this build is gonna be a mix bag of old parts and a 60 bucks case i picked up at micro center, for all you old x58 owners out there this will be a walk down memory lane
biggrin.gif

________________________________________________________________________________________

Parts:

mobo = gigabyte X58A-UD7 Rev 1
cpu = Intel i7 930
cpu cooler = Prolimatech Megahalem
gpu = EVGA GTX 480 Fermi
ram = triple channel corsair dominators!
case = NZXT S340
power supply = some corsair psu i found in the basement

total cost of the build = 65 dollars after tax
biggrin.gif

_______________________________________________________________________________________
i'm also turning this into a computer class for my 13 year old brother.

thank you very much themadhatterxxx
thumb.gif

http://www.overclock.net/t/1531266/free-stuff-nyc-long-island

however it wasn't as smooth sailing as i thought it would, turned out his megahalem didn't came with raisers like mine did.

his

and mine

_______________________________________________________________________________________

due to the slightest of differences, couple pins were bent. but no worries, i waited til a particular bright saturday morning, and start plucking at these bent pins!

so after a good half an hour. everything was smooth sailing

...until i load up the harddrives. oh man i thought the marvell sata 3 controller on my asus board was bad, the ones on the gigabyte was even worse! it's extremely temperamental. i felt like i was baby sitting my baby cousin again, the sata3 don't like certain hard drives, or a specific cable, i spend half of today switching things back and forth to get the hard drive recognized. but it was worth it in the end!

by the end of it i was this close to installing it into the case, only to find out the IO shield was missing, following themadhatterxxx 's suggestion, i decided to make my own! out of cardboard no less!

bare-codes anyone?
thumb.gif

since i haven't got my case at the time. i threw it into my 800d to see if it fits.

let me tell you something, cutting cardboard sounds alot easier than it actually is. i lost count how many times i busted from pure frustration.

i'm gonna get up early tomorrow, and try to finish installing the os and see what other issues i'm gonna run into.

cheers everyone
thumb.gif

12/23/14:

got everything working!

unforunately i have to switch motherboard due to various issues i ran into, like cooler was too big for the ram, and socket placement was too close to the northbridge.

so here it is!

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Wow, such a powerful system for only $65! Insane! Also very nice of that guy to give it away for so cheap
smile.gif

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Haha, fair enough! Still damned good deal for you and your bro
wink.gif

Also, I miss clocking on X58 so bad.. Everything now a days is so simple, it's no challenge or skill anymore! I used to love clocking on my old Rampage 2 Extreme... Here's my old golden 920 doing 4.7ghz at only 1.26v http://hwbot.org/submission/872665_go4life_cpu_frequency_core_i7_920_4704_mhz
Sadly I was held back by my ram and multiplier, this was absolute maximum possible stable. But boy do I regret selling that chip... Only golden chip I have ever had, to this day it's still the best 920 I have seen. It did 4ghz at less than stock volt right over 1v and 4.4ghz at 1.1v. It is also the hottest chip I have ever had, not even a 360 + 240 radiator with 2k fans was enough to cool it lol.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Glad to see that you put it to use. Parts were just languishing in my house.
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: kckyle
1 - 8 of 8 Posts