Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK over the months since I've been water cooled I noticed that my distilled water/zerex mix might be losing its oooompf. I first noticed that the coolant in the loop isn't as pink as it was when I first put it in. Youy can see the side by side comparison with unused, left over coolant. Temps are fine but I just wanna see if I can do better.

So I've decided that one of these days (maybe tomorrow) that I'm gonna bleed this stuff out and put in a new mix of liquid. I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is on this one and put some distilled water with Evan's racing coolant (20:1) and see if that's better. At least this time it won't be ghey pink and it still has anti corrosion properties. I'll hopefully be able to see what UV dye is all about. Seems like a good idea or am I nuts? btw, what's the effective life expectancy of water/coolant in a WC loop anyway?

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
UV coolant all the way

EDIT: there is no stantard (at least not that i'm aware of) lifetime for coolant, especially self-made ones, normally ppl would change it every 4 month, but if it doen't get dirty or temp doesn't rise then everything's alright

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bled her dry! It was a dirty job but it was worth it.

First I got the air compressor and sprayed all the dust outta the case. Then I took the tubing off the radiator and started draining the loop. It's about 32oz. of fluid that I drained into an empty milk jug. Then I stuck the compressor nozzle into one of the tubes and blew out every drop of fluid that was hiding in the blocks till it was bone dry. (Pic 1)

Then I thought to myself, "Now would be a perfect time to reroute my tubing." So I got the grinder and bored out the stock WC holes in the back of the case to fit my 1/2" ID tubing and ran them through there. Now I don't have to waste a precious PCI slot for my tubing anymore.
What's that mean? I have sound now!!!! (Pic 2)

Now everything is nice & neat and I can use both my PCI slots. btw, my temps dropped about 2 degrees.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
I did the same thing by drilling holes in the back of my case for my tubing to go through the holes diameter are 3/4" as well as my tubing, and just my opnion you should put some zip ties on the hoses inside and outside the holes so the hoses dont rub/slide back and forth against the possible rought edges of the holes you made in your case. Image of what mine looks like, yes it is a little getho but it does the job.

·
Banned
4,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

OK over the months since I've been water cooled I noticed that my distilled water/zerex mix might be losing its oooompf. I first noticed that the coolant in the loop isn't as pink as it was when I first put it in. Youy can see the side by side comparison with unused, left over coolant. Temps are fine but I just wanna see if I can do better.

So I've decided that one of these days (maybe tomorrow) that I'm gonna bleed this stuff out and put in a new mix of liquid. I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is on this one and put some distilled water with Evan's racing coolant (20:1) and see if that's better. At least this time it won't be ghey pink and it still has anti corrosion properties. I'll hopefully be able to see what UV dye is all about. Seems like a good idea or am I nuts? btw, what's the effective life expectancy of water/coolant in a WC loop anyway?

yea bleeding will be easy if you unplug the power to all teh components but the WC parts, then just continue the loop while adding coolant and taking out the old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist

You guys need to get some gromets for those holes. Especially since they are only like 25 cents

yea thats a good investment to having some gashed tubing spuing coolant everywhere.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I hate to say it, but the reason there is a color difference, I believe is because the container holding your coolant, is bigger then your reservoir.. So its thicker, and therefore darker

I mixed 4oz of zerex to a gallon and a half of water, and its still been going good after 4 months. I go off smell to judge if the coolant is still good, I think it smells like the day I added it in.

I also added about 40 drops of blue UV dye haha

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that simple, trust me. I don't like to half ass it if possible so I went all out with the air compressor, etc. I love it now, the new coolant is clear, it smells nicer than Zerex, temps are a tad lower, the tubing it outta the way and this coolant is suppose to last 500,000 miles in a car before it needs to be changed so I'm sure it'll last a long time in my WC loop.

btw, I've used more than half the bottle of dye so far

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

It's not that simple, trust me. I don't like to half ass it if possible so I went all out with the air compressor, etc. I love it now, the new coolant is clear, it smells nicer than Zerex, temps are a tad lower, the tubing it outta the way and this coolant is suppose to last 500,000 miles in a car before it needs to be changed so I'm sure it'll last a long time in my WC loop.

btw, I've used more than half the bottle of dye so far

jesus! haha

I only used like 1/10 of my bottle, but it was at least 40+ drops lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts