Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miners are becoming an epidemic and in-browsing mining is only going to get worse.
Therefore, it is important that all users protect themselves by installing antivirus software
that detects when a browser connects to known mining services such as CoinHive.

Unfortunately, new services keep popping up and it has become a game of whack-a-mole
for the security industry.
Therefore, your installed software may not detect the URL or scripts associated with a new in-browser miner.

To add further protection, you can use an adblocker with Chrome, which will block in-browser mining scripts.
For those looking for a more granular approach, you can use the CoinBlockerLists site to download lists of
IP addresses and domains affiliated with in-browser mining.
Source,
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...hrome-task-manager-to-find-in-browser-miners/

Hi,
Found a nice tutorial on how to use add to host file for others than might not of ever done it before like myself :eek:
Actually pretty easy seeing my browser Palemoon nominer add-on for Firefox is not compatible :(
https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus...04593-protecting-yourself-browser-miners.html

·
Politically incorrect
9,295 Posts
uBlock and NoScript are amazing.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Still here...
3,314 Posts
Hi,
Yep I've got Ublock origin too found it on this very website :thumb:

NoScript though is a pain I couldn't deal with so many alterations..... very complicated breaks darn near very website :/
Just ran into this one though seems interesting
http://win10epicfail.proboards.com/thread/105/build-own-hosts-file
Here's a fairly well maintained list of urls for the hosts file approach. If you do use this approach, once you've made your changes to the Windows hosts file, open a command window and run the following command at the prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

That should be done every time you make changes to the hosts file.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Here's a fairly well maintained list of urls for the hosts file approach. If you do use this approach, once you've made your changes to the Windows hosts file, open a command window and run the following command at the prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

That should be done every time you make changes to the hosts file.
And then restart any browsers you have open.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Good info missed that part :)
I didn't use the other one I posted just the coin blocker one in the op :)

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
open a command window and run the following command at the prompt: ipconfig /flushdns. That should be done every time you make changes to the hosts file.

So that's why changes wouldn't always take effect! After all these years, lol, i finally know.. thanks for that tip :)

*Edit: If i may ask a related question, is there any downside to having multiple same entries in the hosts file? Asking because so far i've got my own list (which includes everything the 'ready-made' ones don't have), the windows/microsoft-related list and a general hosts file list, which is huge. Using Ctrl+F to search if a new entry already exists is fine, but when a new.. new.. list is to be added with 294746528 new entries, that's a bit too much for me to check.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Eh, i am fine using CoinHive instead of having crap ads.

·
Still here...
3,314 Posts
So that's why changes wouldn't always take effect! After all these years, lol, i finally know.. thanks for that tip :)

*Edit: If i may ask a related question, is there any downside to having multiple same entries in the hosts file? Asking because so far i've got my own list (which includes everything the 'ready-made' ones don't have), the windows/microsoft-related list and a general hosts file list, which is huge. Using Ctrl+F to search if a new entry already exists is fine, but when a new.. new.. list is to be added with 294746528 new entries, that's a bit too much for me to check.
Not really any downsides other than possibly adding confusion to the mix: only the first instance of a domain name will be read. Once an instance of the name has been resolved, no further reading of the file takes place.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Not really any downsides other than possibly adding confusion to the mix: only the first instance of a domain name will be read. Once an instance of the name has been resolved, no further reading of the file takes place.
Thanks man, appreciate it :)

·
New001
2,668 Posts
uBlock and NoScript are amazing.
yeah with this combo nothing is getting passed. I've been surprised by some of the sites I've seen running the js miners, but haven't been too worried so far with the ublock/noscript combo.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I utilize pi-hole on my network. I also vpn into it with my phone so I always block adds in apps and when browsing on my phone. Can also prevent almost all data mining and tracking.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Using AppArmor with a very restrictive Firefox profile to sandbox it from many of these types of attacks, always using No Script as well. For those saying No Script is hard, really try using it for a few months. The more you use it and the more good sites you white list, the easier to gets. Eventually you might only be clicking one or two things per browsing session and 99% of everything else is blocked. I couldn't even imagine using the web without No Script.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
For those saying No Script is hard, really try using it for a few months.
Months? Took me some 15 minutes to understand the operating principles of NoScript (and ScriptSafe, which is what I'm using now). After that, it's just slowly building a whitelist, which requires much less patience than dealing with OCN's buggy page loading...

There's nothing hard about it. Some people just don't care enough yet. Like you said, though, I wouldn't browse again without it.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
If you come across a bitcoin mining script would the CPU usage or GPU usage go up considerably and obviously?

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
If you come across a bitcoin mining script would the CPU usage or GPU usage go up considerably and obviously?
Neither, because there are no Bitcoin mining scripts.

There are Monero ones, and its your CPU usage that will increase. Considerably? Depends on how much the website has put as CPU usage limit. It could be 1%, it could be 50% of your CPU power.

·
Overclocker in training
14,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,
If you use the last post I made and update it every week or month no need to worry.
UBlock Origin browser add-on make it as easy as it gets for other stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts