Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a FX-8350 Vishera and put it in an AM3 socket board.

I did run a search on newegg to check compatibility. Copy pasting "890FXA-UD5" into newegg brings up the 990FXA-UD5 product page, which I didn't notice. I quickly verified that my board was indeed compatible with AM3+ sockets (such as the FX-8350).

When I put the CPU into the board and attempted to boot, it did not post, and shut down after a few minutes.

Question is: did I damage the CPU or board? As far as I can tell, the pins aren't damaged. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Why would you leave it in a non-POSTing state for minutes on end?

Damage is unlikely. Keep in mind it's not a supported CPU on that board.

Edit: I stand corrected.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

It depends on the version. version 3.1 it is, On the older version it not.

To the op did you make sure you had the right version of the mobo for the cpu? also did you update the bios to support the new cpu?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

Doesn't sound like a compatibility issue. Should work fine. I'd look for a problem elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

Edit: I stand corrected.
I was having issues with the previous CPU. On ungraceful shutdowns, it would take several minutes from anything to appear on screen (it would POST, but not on-screen). Thinking it's a mobo issue, which is reason enough to shop around for a new one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobdown View Post

It depends on the version. version 3.1 it is, On the older version it not.

To the op did you make sure you had the right version of the mobo for the cpu? also did you update the bios to support the new cpu?
Didn't even know there were revisions like this
frown.gif
. Probably have the older version.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
usually on gigabyte mother board, they have the version number by the last pci /e slot close to the rear of the case.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

usually on gigabyte mother board, they have the version number by the last pci /e slot close to the rear of the case.

I'm at work and can't check, but I bought it on May 18, 2010. Seems that rev 3.1 (AM3+) was released some time in 2011.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorbeam View Post

Quote:

I'm at work and can't check, but I bought it on May 18, 2010. Seems that rev 3.1 (AM3+) was released some time in 2011.
well with the version 3.0, it supports the 8350. version 2.1/2.0 supports the lower fx's 4130/4350/6350.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts