Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE
Quote:
Motorola Mobility, a maker of Android smartphones that agreed to be bought by Google for $12.5 billion, didn't violate Apple's rights on three patents, U.S. International Trade Commission Judge Theodore Essex in Washington said in an initial determination today without elaborating on his findings. Two of the patents related to touch-screen technology.

The case has been part of a broader battle that Cupertino, California-based Apple is waging across four continents against makers of phones that run on Android, which the company claims copies features of the iPhone. Apple received a mixed ruling in a trade commission case against Taoyuan, Taiwan-based HTC Corp. last month, and is awaiting decisions on additional complaints against HTC and Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung Electronics Co.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I would have flipped out and lost even more faith in the system if they won.

·
sɪɴɢɪɴɢ ɢᴏᴅᴅᴇss
3,364 Posts
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNAlAwlFu2hXK2uyYArho9txF0OizNverN9IfKPyTVSQKtQxrS
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRanDdNvt9kM8U3KypkzP75hct3KSs_Y5nhlRrXDoYy3cNDNDO68g

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Waiting for the people who didn't read the source to come in and and go "herp derp, you don't own the rectangle apple!"

I actually didn't realize that one of the patents was about the ability to add/install components without having to run an installation program or reboot the device.

·
Registered
641 Posts
How much do these companies actually make of royalties? It must be a ton with how much they all sue eachother for anything that is slightly similar.

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microfister View Post

they make good products. but for christs sake, stop trying to shut every other company down, your still winning.
This is Apple's crusade to destroy Andriod. It was Steve Job's dying wish and Tim Cook will see that it happens. Microsoft stole their idea once, they're not going to let the same thing happen again and go unpunished.

·
Gamer
486 Posts
"Apple Loses Ruling in Patent Case"

L.M.F.A.O!!!

·
Banned
6,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

This is Apple's crusade to destroy Andriod. It was Steve Job's dying wish and Tim Cook will see that it happens. Microsoft stole their idea once, they're not going to let the same thing happen again and go unpunished.
I sincerely hope he meets the same fate as Jobs before he can make that happen, then. No company has the right to try and sue the competition into oblivion over frivolous things such as installing an app without rebooting the phone. That's just ridiculous and I'm so glad it was thrown out of court.

Now, if Google entirely ripped off something like Siri (down to the code, not the method) then I'd be all for a lawsuit against that. But suing based on the method of doing something relates to this.

Siri method:

Record users voice

Send that to the servers

Servers figures out what has been said, finds appropriate response

Siri gives response.

Google could and should be able to do something in EXACTLY the same way, with their own servers and their own code. The second they steal or "borrow" code from Siri is the point there's a problem. But patents based on methods and not actual full on details and code should be disallowed. HTC's problem with the numbers in text shouldn't have even gotten to court. That's just not something you can patent and unless Apple's code was stolen letter by letter there is no case, imho.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Its kinda sad and desperate that Apple tried to pull this on Google's android OS even after they acquired Motorola and its patents to guard specifically against this kind of activity.

The standardized platform will rise and proprietary Apple will fall once again just like pc's vs mac's.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkO View Post

The depth of your devotion to a soulless corporation literally sends a chill up my spine. I just hope there aren't more people like this or humanity is truly doomed.......

·
Gamer
486 Posts
Now... You know what would totally make my day? APPL
gunner.gif
stock to fall through the floor!!

That's just for not exchanging my stupid MacBook Pro that keeps overheating.. Flogged it on fleabay now. Not my problem
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 39 Posts