Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
WaterCooler
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nvidia Corp.’s market valuation topped Intel Corp.’s for the first time, powered by soaring demand for graphics chips in data centers and other fast-growing technology fields.

Nvidia gained 2.4% on Wednesday, giving it a market value of more than $248 billion. Shares of the graphics chipmaker are up 72% so far this year as investors bet the coronavirus pandemic has accelerated a shift to cloud-based digital services that use its technology. Intel shares have fallen 2% in 2020.
Bloomberg

Yahoo

Marketwatch

Attachments

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
"Soars past"...

"Soars past"...?

Hardly. Soars past would have been a jump where nVidia's market cap was dramatically greater than Intel.

The Marketwatch headline is better - "surpasses" - that is correct. It is greater. But "soars"...? Pfft. A minor blip in the other direction and Intel will "soar" back again.

Congrats to Bloomberg for the clickbait headline, I guess.

·
WaterCooler
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Definitely misplaced in the title for sure. They could say they've soared over the course of 2020 verses themselves at the beginning of 2020, but yeah we'll see if they actually pull away or Intel just takes it back which seems more likely to me.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Good time to buy or already missed the gains?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,346 Posts
As a very active trader since February, I can honestly say the COVID-19 climate has made the stock market and the respective valuations completely independent from reality.
While pre-covid it was a jungle, now it is something where you can actually change the laws of physics.
They claim 'demand for graphics chips in data centers' when the reality is too much dry powder and people buying stocks under artificial life support from the likes of Fed, ECB, etc.
Everyone has shifted their attention to tech companies because all the others sectors are bleeding badly.
In a few years when affected sectors will be reshaped, the likes of NVIDIA will actually have to innovate to keep their inflated valuation.

The best example is Tesla. It has become the most valuable car making company in the world.
Quite funny to say the least. This year the stock drops to 360 dollars a share.
Fed and Trump announce their measures and the stock picks up.
Blinded by bonuses and quick profits, traders pile up on Tesla.
Stock reaches around 800 dollars a share.
Some c*ke party friends Elon met online,while he was having a menage a trois with Amber, tell him 'We did not get enough shares'.
Elon says 'hold my beer'.
Elon goes to Twitter : 'My company is overvalued! Share price is too high'. He then goes and sues California for lock downs.
People react ...share price drops back to levels where huge profits can be made.
C*ke buddies buy , current investors jump as well and voila ...TESLA STOCK IS AT 1370 dollars!
Meanwhile Elon keeps it down and still claims TESLA is overpriced.

·
mfw
8,641 Posts
"Soars past"...

"Soars past"...?
Yes. What's so strange about the wording employed?

It definitely soared. It's up 72% this year, and you can see the sharp rise in the graph. And while it soared, it overtook Intel's in value - hence the "soars past."

Semantically, there's nothing wrong with the title.

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
proper wording would be "soars, finally surpassing"
e.g. "Nvidia valuation soars, finally surpassing intel graphics chip boom"

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yes. What's so strange about the wording employed?

It definitely soared. It's up 72% this year, and you can see the sharp rise in the graph. And while it soared, it overtook Intel's in value - hence the "soars past."

Semantically, there's nothing wrong with the title.
What is so strange is that Bloomberg conflate two things, to generate a headline.

The valuation of nVidia soared. As has already been pointed out by Sir Beregond and epic1337... and yourself. It surpassed, as Marketwatch stated in their headline, the description of which I had no problem with. But Bloomberg, as seems to have become commonplace in headlines, reaches for hyperbole. While it is entirely possible that nVidia will continue to rise, and Intel will continue to fall, a state at which could be described as "soaring past"... that is in the future yet. Currently, the gap between the two is still rather narrow. The Yahoo! and Marketwatch headlines are much more reasoned and far less extravagant.

·
mfw
8,641 Posts
proper wording would be "soars, [...] surpassing"
I see no difference between that and "soars past" semantically. It seems you guys are attributing a subjective magnitude to "past" that is not commensurate with its objective meaning.

What is so strange is that Bloomberg conflate two things, to generate a headline
Maybe they ARE playing to most people's expectation of what the expression is supposed to convey to generate a more exciting headline, but, then, you're making an assessment based on your expectation of an expectation instead of the words' actual meaning.

At the end of the day, it's an accurate description of the event. It's not like it's fake news or anything.

·
Otherworlder
7,506 Posts
I see no difference between that and "soars past" semantically. It seems you guys are attributing a subjective magnitude to "past" that is not commensurate with its objective meaning.
i have no problem with "soars past", i'm more in favor of a more descriptive title, e.g. "soars, finally surpassing" with the highlight being "finally surpassing".

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
from $20 to $400 in less than 5 years. :)

sad i only got on in the middle.

·
mfw
8,641 Posts
Speculation. Investor's expectation that something will rise (others want it too) so they can sell it later on for profit.
Are you sure nVidia's increasing portfolio and market penetration has nothing to do with it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
As a very active trader since February, I can honestly say the COVID-19 climate has made the stock market and the respective valuations completely independent from reality.
While pre-covid it was a jungle, now it is something where you can actually change the laws of physics.
They claim 'demand for graphics chips in data centers' when the reality is too much dry powder and people buying stocks under artificial life support from the likes of Fed, ECB, etc.
Everyone has shifted their attention to tech companies because all the others sectors are bleeding badly.
In a few years when affected sectors will be reshaped, the likes of NVIDIA will actually have to innovate to keep their inflated valuation.

The best example is Tesla. It has become the most valuable car making company in the world.
Quite funny to say the least. This year the stock drops to 360 dollars a share.
Fed and Trump announce their measures and the stock picks up.
Blinded by bonuses and quick profits, traders pile up on Tesla.
Stock reaches around 800 dollars a share.
Some c*ke party friends Elon met online,while he was having a menage a trois with Amber, tell him 'We did not get enough shares'.
Elon says 'hold my beer'.
Elon goes to Twitter : 'My company is overvalued! Share price is too high'. He then goes and sues California for lock downs.
People react ...share price drops back to levels where huge profits can be made.
C*ke buddies buy , current investors jump as well and voila ...TESLA STOCK IS AT 1370 dollars!
Meanwhile Elon keeps it down and still claims TESLA is overpriced.
Lmao where in God's name did you find this? @Wishmaker

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
Speculation. Investor's expectation that something will rise (others want it too) so they can sell it later on for profit.

Aka plaster it all over web to grab more attention and desire to buy it so the price goes up and up until the dreamy bubble bursts.
Are you sure nVidia's increasing portfolio and market penetration has nothing to do with it?
50/50

but if you paid more attention you'd see pretty much every single stock has a hype article for it, every/every other day.

they love to cite WCCFTech, btw. let that sink in for a while.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
its ALL shenanigans. that's what you fail to realize.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was kicking myself for not getting in at 250 when they were sitting mid 300. They're not stopping. This is nuts.

·
PC Evangelist
46,723 Posts
Tech stock, the new BTC.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,890 Posts
"In the short term the market is a voting machine; in the long term the market is a weighing machine"

- Paraphrasal from Benjamin Graham's book The Intelligent Investor

Also shall we introduce everyone to the manic-depressive Mr. Market or do we think that is beyond the scope of our overclocking community board?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts