Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into buying a blu ray drive. I have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor, so no sweat there. However I only have a VGA cable. I'm running off of a 4850, so it has DVI and HDMI outputs, and is HDCP compliant. My only question is this - is there any compatibility issues if I run it through VGA? Or will there be a loss of quality in either sound or picture (or worse, it won't even work). Furthermore I don't quite understand HDMI... it's sound too I know, but how does that work considering sound comes from the sound card unless I'm horribly mistaken, which is possible. Anyways thanks in advance for the help.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
The video card (if it supports HDMI) come with an HDMI out sound driver.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can use the vga cable without a problem. HDCP only works to protect the digital output of the device. As for HDMI audio... it works depending on the vid card. For Nvidia you connect your sound card to the vid card. For ATI cards, the card themselves decode the audio and output the sound. Only limitation is that ATI cards can only output 2 cannel LPCM.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
I use a DVI cable to the TV and then my sound goes out to my 7.1 from my computer. The tv doesn't have 7.1 or anywhere near the wattage ;P

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there won't be any audio or video quality difference between VGA and DVI/HDMI?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts