Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I buy a new cpu/mobo/ram/ from newegg. an AMD 64 3000+, dfi lanparty nf3, ocz pc4000 512mb, Thermalright XP-120 and a 120mm fan to go on it. i already had a 450w psu, and a coolermaster wavemaster case. took out the old mobo/cpu (msi mobo w/ amd xp 3000), put in new everything, and just kept the video card, and hard drive for the amd64 system. (the xp3k went into a new shuttle
), so anyways i put it all together and it boots up, and i go into bios just to see how it looks, didnt change anything besides what device to boot from first, and the clock, restart and try to boot windows and BOOM. Blue Screen of Death Pops up for a SPLIT SECOND and WALLAH!! Disappears!!. So what i did was i took it to this Geek Squad thing @ best buy cuz its the closest place, have them take 2 days at it, and when i go to check on it, the guy informs me that they still hadnt really got a chance to work on it, and he compiments me on the water cooling system that i have, which is actually not a water cooling system but a huge heatsink w/ heatpipes or something, so realizing that these geeks cant tell the difference between heatsinks and water cooling systems i decided to get a refund and take back my computer. only to have the same problem. i was able to get the error thingy to stay up longer and this is what it says after "error" : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
PLEASE HELP ME!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,356 Posts
OMG! i faintly remember the blue screen of death (i had 98).
I dunno try slowly rebiulding your set up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox

try booting up with out overclocking.

i didnt overclock anything. the only think i changed the bios was the date/time.
 

·
Some call me... Bifford
Joined
·
5,265 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bindusar

With all those new key components I think you are looking at having to reinstall Windows. Are you tryiing to boot from the original HD or the OS CD?

I have to agree with Binduser here, you cannot change that much hardware and not re-install. Eventhough many of the components may be the same, the mobo is the key. I have just recently learned that the raid controller from two different types of Asus boards are different enough to cause problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bindusar

With all those new key components I think you are looking at having to reinstall Windows. Are you tryiing to boot from the original HD or the OS CD?

Exactly, when you change motherboards, especially when you change chipsets, IRQ and bus address change and Windows get's confused sometimes, so you gotta reinstall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bindusar

With all those new key components I think you are looking at having to reinstall Windows. Are you tryiing to boot from the original HD or the OS CD?

Well when the problem first occured, i wasnt able to get past bios, the only thing they did at best buy was get me to the windows login, and from there i shoulda been able to get in on safe mode atleast, tried that and after i login i get the error. someone was telling me that since i just switched the mobo's that the HD could be loading from the other mobo's drivers, and that i should just reformat, did that and still nothing. i didnt entrily reformat the disc cuz i have other partitiions that are for storage, but i just reformatted the one that had Windows. and after setup like 1 second after its done or almost done, the error comes up. its winxp btw
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox

windows gets *****y when you change the mobo....usualy best to reinstall/repair.

I have never actually seen the repair function work, jsut backup on disk and reinstall the entire OS.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

I have never actually seen the repair function work, jsut backup on disk and reinstall the entire OS.


i got it to work for me when i "accidently broke" my gigabyte mobo and had to switch to a FIC mobo.
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox

i got it to work for me when i "accidently broke" my gigabyte mobo and had to switch to a FIC mobo.

Then you are the second person I have met that it has worked for, I know of dozens of people that it did not help in the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by Bindusar

So you are working with a completely clean install of XP?

Well, the setup looked like it was finished and then the blue screen comes up. i dont remember if when i restart if it restarts the setup or if it tries to boot. should i just delete all the partitions and try again? some1 else suggested some how using FDISK or w/e that is .
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dman786

Well, the setup looked like it was finished and then the blue screen comes up. i dont remember if when i restart if it restarts the setup or if it tries to boot. should i just delete all the partitions and try again? some1 else suggested some how using FDISK or w/e that is .

I don't think a different partitioning agent will resolve your problem, it looks like a problem from within windows, either a corrupt file or bad drivers.

However you can try to zero-fill the disk before you next install to see if ghosts are causing the problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

I don't think a different partitioning agent will resolve your problem, it looks like a problem from within windows, either a corrupt file or bad drivers.

However you can try to zero-fill the disk before you next install to see if ghosts are causing the problems.

ghosts?
 

·
Linux Guru
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by dman786

ghosts?

Whenever you reformat a disk some data is left behind as unnoticable ghosts, if the amount of ghosts on a HD is too great it will sause system errors or seemingly corrupted files, only bringing a HDD to zero-fill-state will delete all ghosts.

Who manufacturs the HDD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Whenever you reformat a disk some data is left behind as unnoticable ghosts, if the amount of ghosts on a HD is too great it will sause system errors or seemingly corrupted files, only bringing a HDD to zero-fill-state will delete all ghosts.

Who manufacturs the HDD?

pretty sure its a western digital, how do i bring the HDD to a zero-fill-state
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by mfillpot

Go to http://support.wdc.com/download/
Find your HDD, then download the data lifeguard tools, that program will include a zero-fill program.

well i found the CD and im goin to try to boot from it to see if i can do it there cuz i cant get into windows.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top