Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building a watercooling loop in August/September of 2020 with old parts I had from a previous rig, but new watercooling equipment. After the release of the RTX 3000 GPUs and ryzen 5000 CPUs, I decided to scuttle the build and redo it with new hardware. Fast forward to now and I finally obtained all the parts I need to watercool it all.

From the original watercooling loop, I've retained two 560x140mm radiators, and a D5 pump, but all the rest of the hardware (GPU block, CPU block, tubing) is new. I started to fill it today, and I noticed some bluish dust-like pieces flowing around in the tubes and getting stuck in the GPU block. I took it apart and flushed all of it out of the GPU and CPU blocks, but I still have yet to take apart the radiators to clean them out. Here is the what the gunk looks like:

gunk.png

There was a lot more of it than in this photo, I took this picture after I had already dumped most of it. I think this could possibly be from oxidization in the radiators since they have sat empty for the past half of a year. I had cleaned the radiators before installing them but that was also back in August.

Any other ideas for what this could be, or am I guessing correctly? What should I do to clean this out of the radiators?

·
Vandelay Industries
2,442 Posts
I think you've got it. Flushing won't remove everything and erosion will over time loosen up that oxidation. Maybe someone else will have another opinion though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What kind of tubing did you use? What kind of coolant? If soft tubing, it could be plasticizer releasing from the tubing.

Oxidation from copper and brass is greenish in color, not blue.

·
WaterCooler
4,314 Posts
Bluish? I'd say its from the radiators. How did you clean them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lemme add some more context to answer some of the questions in this thread. In the old build, I was using soft primochill tubing:

In the new build I am using acrylic tubing from bitspower (the tubes were a pain in the ass to get right):

The radiators are HardwareLabs Black Ice SR2 Multiport. I am in the process of cleaning them out right now, the above pic is from last night. I don't have the blitz cleaning kit so I'm gonna try some hot water mixed with a little white wine vinegar and salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts