Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob's Internet Security Guide!
This list does not list all security programs, only the better ones

Note: This is the only place I keep this list up to date now!

Legend:
* = Paid
+ = advanced users only (I will not be providing detailed instructions)
### = highly recommended

note: some of the programs are 32 bit only, or the 64 bit is only in Beta, so just keep that in mind when searching

Recommended Active Protection
Antivirus (choose 1):
### avast! Free Antivirus
nod32*

Firewall (choose 1):
### Comodo Internet Security
(Activate the Firewall only during installation)
- set firewall secuity level to safe mode
- set Defender+ level to disabled (set to clean PC mode if you want HIPS protection)
- leave sandbox disabled
Online Armor
- a bit more of a pain to set up
Outpost Firewall*

Optional Active Protection
HIPS - for "zero day" attacks (use 1):
### Defense Wall*+
This could hypothetically be the only program you would ever need.
GeSWall+
Malware Defender+

Behavioral Blockers (use 1):
### Prevx edge*
My overall favorite program.
- runs in the cloud so it is super light
- has one of the best detection and cleaning rates
- (almost) never has to update
- the free trial allows free/unlimited scanning and active detection for life
Threatfire

Browser Virtualization:
### Sandboxie+
- browser "pseudo" virtualization

Environment Virtualization (use 1):
returnil*
- full on demand environmental virtualization (all changes to computer will be reversed upon restart when active)
### shadow defender*

Recommended On Demand
spyware/malware scanners (use all):
### a-squared Free
### SUPERAntiSpyware
- make sure to disable active protection and tray icon
### Malwarebytes Anti Malware
hitman pro*
- runs many on demand scanners at the same time through the cloud

misc, scanners and utilities (use all):
CleanSofts Update Notifier
checks for old software and links to updated software
### CCleaner
- registry cleaning
- secure history and recycle bin shdredder (if you need it)
### AutoRuns+
- play around with startup programs (only un-click what you know)
### MyDefrag - enhances windows native defrag (used to be called JkDefrag)

Disk (pseudo) imaging backups (use 1):
###Shadow Protect*
- best disc imaging software
- quick
- allows you to virtually mount and look through your backups
- allows incremental backup (instead of creating an entire new image it edits an existing image)
Paragon Backup and Recovery Free

Browser Essentials (at least use WOT and XMarks)
### Latest Firefox
Noscript+
Allows one to set permissions for content to run on a website
- just click on the "S" on the bottom of the browser to select what you want to run, or if you just want everything to run
- right click "S" -> options -> notifications -> unclick "show messages about blocked scripts"
CS Lite+
- controls cookies
- to permanently allow cookies for a website do same as no script except left click the cookie on the bottom. For all websites you don't frequent allow cookies only for session.
- right click "cookie" -> Update Blocklist -> get same menu back up -> CS Lite Options -> BLocklists -> automatically check for updates -> weekly
### Web of Trust
- Community Site Rating (displayed next to google searches as well)
### XMarks Bookmark Synchronizer
- online bookmark and password backup.
- Can access your bookmarks from anywhere
- can sync between most major browsers.
- there are some other components (like site ratings) you can disable if you don't like

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Interesting list. Everyone has their own opinions, so I hope people keep this thread clean.

As far as sandboxie goes, I don't believe x64 OS users can use it. It's only 32bit currently (iirc). (Just saying you might want to make a note of that. Source)

And Avast is my AV of choice. To each his own.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did note a few of the programs are 32 bit only only on the top, however a few of them have beta 64 bit versions that may be coming out soon.

As for AVs, I have found Avast and AVG to be good, but their quality has really jumped around alot over the years, where as Avira has been consistent for the last few years with their great heuristics.

Plus, I am still angry at AVG for killing link scanner (grrr..)

·
Registered
671 Posts
sandboxie by tzuk works for 64bit. its free but u get a pop up after 30 days once in a while.

and i use geswall on my secondary computer, its not an actual hips, but its more liek a virtualized sandbox. and i use threatfire, on my main computer as well.

finally someone who posts good quality security programs in stead of people suggesting just your typical antivirus which are not as good as hips/BB/sandbox apps

reps to u my friend

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
awesome list. I personally use Sandboxxie, Microsoft Antivirus/Firewall

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucido View Post
Yea, I agree with you there. I kind of generalized HIPS to include proactive user defined permissions, which defensewall and geswall kinda do.

And sandboxie is a great program. You can almost test malware by just using that program

what i said was a derp moment lol, i mean tlike virtualized browser, geswall is awsome and so is sandboxie 64bit even though it not as secure as the 32bit version.

im just glad you posted this because so many people here and other forums always want to suggest only antivirus' and tahts not good because it relies on signatures.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Avast Anti-Virus 5.0 ftw

·
Registered
671 Posts
lucido see what i mean? no offense to you ramair mustang but did u even read down the whole list? antivirus' should not be your first line of defense.

i use avira my self but it just there as back up protection incase something goes wrong with sandboxie or threatfire.

but of course u can never be 100% secure when using a computer with internet connection

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could really actually go without an antivirus if you do something like (one example amongst many):

Defensewall/Geswall
Prevx 3.0
Paragon/Shadow Protect
Returnil/ShadowDefender

The added benefit with those programs as well is that if you screw up your computer on accident, a few of them could even reverse those changes.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
lucido see what i mean? no offense to you ramair mustang but did u even read down the whole list? antivirus' should not be your first line of defense.

i use avira my self but it just there as back up protection incase something goes wrong with sandboxie or threatfire.

but of course u can never be 100% secure when using a computer with internet connection
Non taken. I only said avast for the antivirus. I dont have anything at all on my laptop or desktop running xp but desktop running win7 I have avast, spyware doctor, CA pest patrol, spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. The XP side and my Laptop have nothing at all except for Faronics DeepFreeze. My dad got a virus on the laptop and It sent itself to my desktop that didn't have Faronics on it at the time. It destroyed everything had to format the entire computer. Funny thing is we are not even networked it set up a netword by itself or ran rampid on my ip and got into mine. All I had to do is restart the laptop and everything is back. Like placing tracing paper over the permanate information you want and anything you do or anything a virus spyware or whatever does is gone like throwing away the tracing paper after you restart. I however had no choice but format. I now run Faronics. That's all the protection you need. I've tested it by using a wipe program to destroy the OS and it crashed. Rebooted and it's like nothing ever happened. I Love my Faronics.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramairmustang View Post
Non taken. I only said avast for the antivirus. I dont have anything at all on my laptop or desktop running xp but desktop running win7 I have avast, spyware doctor, CA pest patrol, spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AdAware. The XP side and my Laptop have nothing at all except for Faronics DeepFreeze. My dad got a virus on the laptop and It sent itself to my desktop that didn't have Faronics on it at the time. It destroyed everything had to format the entire computer. Funny thing is we are not even networked it set up a netword by itself or ran rampid on my ip and got into mine. All I had to do is restart the laptop and everything is back. Like placing tracing paper over the permanate information you want and anything you do or anything a virus spyware or whatever does is gone like throwing away the tracing paper after you restart. I however had no choice but format. I now run Faronics. That's all the protection you need. I've tested it by using a wipe program to destroy the OS and it crashed. Rebooted and it's like nothing ever happened. I Love my Faronics.
yea man, im not trying to bash people that only use antivirus apps as their main line of protection, im just trying to help out people and realize that while antivirus programs are good, HIPS/BB/Sandbox apps are better. i use avira as an antivirus along other programs for a layered security approach.

i heard good things about deepfreeze, what exactly does it do? is it sort of like returnil?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts