Overclock.net banner
1381 - 1400 of 1419 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey

So I got boinc all going and stuff.

I have a 7950 laying around, was wondering if could get this to work on the same machine as the 6870. Strictly just for crunching no gaming.

I want to use the 6870 cuz its under water. 7950 will be with the stock Twin Frozr cooling. Probably wont overclock it much.

FX8350 4.5 @ 1.38v
CHVF Motherboard
620w SeaSonic powersupply
6870 975/1125 1.3v

Possible? 6870 and 7950 on the same motherboard? Or just take the 6870 out and throw the 7950 in?

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynes View Post

I have a 7950 laying around, was wondering if could get this to work on the same machine as the 6870. Strictly just for crunching no gaming.
I have a 7850 and 6750 in the same system now, no reason your set up won't work. You need to configure BOINC to see both GPUs and depending on project you may need to exclude the 6870 since its not GCN (for example I don't know if the 6870 it does DP required by Milkyway).

You need to edit cc_config.xml in your BOINC program data directory. So for example this would use both GPUs in my system and restrict specific projects to specific GPUs.

Code:

Code:
<cc_config>
<options>
<report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
<skip_cpu_benchmarks>1</skip_cpu_benchmarks>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
<exclude_gpu>
        <url>http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/</url>
        <device_num>1</device_num>
</exclude_gpu>
<exclude_gpu>
        <url>http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/</url>
        <device_num>0</device_num>
</exclude_gpu>
</options>
</cc_config>

·
Registered
146 Posts
6870 cant do Milkyway no DP. Been running Collatz on it.

Kinda late for me now will have to mess with the 7950 tomorrow. Will give it a go.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynes View Post

Hey

So I got boinc all going and stuff.

I want to use the 6870 cuz its under water. 7950 will be with the stock Twin Frozr cooling. Probably wont overclock it much.

FX8350 4.5 @ 1.38v
CHVF Motherboard
620w SeaSonic powersupply
6870 975/1125 1.3v

Possible? 6870 and 7950 on the same motherboard? Or just take the 6870 out and throw the 7950 in?
It is possible. I have 7950, 7870 and 6770 in the same rig and BOINC can use them all when I fire it up.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Hey guys! I'm starting off with Moo! Wrapping just now, and this is my first step into BOINC.
wheee.gif

I suppose I will end up with a rather complex setup consisting of several machines, so I spun up an account @ Bam!
I just added this project to my account and I'm figuring things out slowly.
smile.gif

This post is but a simple Hello world for now, but I suppose I'll edit it soon enough with help requests.
laugher.gif

Edit: OK, I am up and running! I dedicated whatever is free of my 3570k at home and a single R9 290 - I was even able to dedicate the one I wanted with the .xml configuration file.

On a side note, are there any projects for which a processor would perform better?

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Welcome to the team.
biggrin.gif

All of the CPU projects are fairly similar in terms of PPD.

For AMD GPUs (and nvidia), PPD varies widely between projects.

GPU Project PPD (highest to lowest):

- Collatz Conjecture
- [email protected] (if you can get any tasks)
- Moo! Wrapper
- GPUGrid (nvidia only)
- [email protected] (requires double precision, 7970 is king with it's less gimped dp capabilities)
- PrimeGrid
- [email protected]
- [email protected]

Similar to folding you will want to leave a core free to feed your GPU for most projects.

A great program to use for controlling a large number of different clients and tasks is BOINCTasks http://efmer.com/b/boinctasks

Feel free to post in one of the project support threads, or start a new thread, if you run into any issues.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
That's pretty cool! Thanks for the heads-up, I might actually refer to BOINCTasks since it looks decent on a quick glance.
As for the PPD - hmm... I usually like the challenge of a little competitiveness, and it seems like cherry-picking projects would yield higher results.

On the other hand, though, I like pulsars...
rolleyes.gif

I'm currently running:
Einstein on a puny GT 630,
Milkyway on the 3570k and a Xeon E3-1230v2, and
Moo! Wrapper on a R9 290.

Would you reckon I should eventually turn the R9 290 towards CC or Poem? (Or perhaps both, with Poem having a lot higher ratio or something of sorts)?
smile.gif

Again, thanks for the information!

On a side note, I am using ProcessLasso - a very handy program which allows me to set (by process name, regardless of PID and running instances) every process to a default CPU, I/O and Memory BW priority. Thus allowing me to run a full number of CPU threads without getting in the way of the GPU.
yessir.gif

However, I will further test this program to confirm no performance loss.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
POEM's GPU work is very sporadic, and it can be difficult to get work, even if there are GPU wu's available.

Collatz is a well established project that, aside from some random server downtime, consistently has work, and the project admin is very active and helpful on the forum. Be sure and check out the Collatz project support thread if you decide to run that on your 290, since there is a separate gpu.config for that project, that will allow you to max out your GPU.

Personally, I am not much of a points chaser, so I tend to run the projects that are interesting to me or whatever the Projects of the Month are.
thumb.gif

I have been using Process Lasso for the last two years and it is very handy when running multiple CPU/GPU projects.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Well, I've let my 290 (and my mobile phone, lol) do some maths for Collatz Conjecture and I must say that 1.5M PPD on the R9 290 is
kookoo.gif
in comparison to everything else I've tried so far.

·
Tweaking since 386 era
50 Posts
Hi All, i recently joined the forums and feel quite at home already. Been doing quite some DC'ing for [email protected] so i decided to join your team. I noticed there are two other overclock.net teams, both very small, both focussed on SETI and not pointing to a specific thread... are these unofficial or something?

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogMcCree View Post

Hi All, i recently joined the forums and feel quite at home already. Been doing quite some DC'ing for [email protected] so i decided to join your team. I noticed there are two other overclock.net teams, both very small, both focussed on SETI and not pointing to a specific thread... are these unofficial or something?
Welcome to the team.
:cheers:

Those teams are from before OCN had an official team, and this thread was the catch-all thread for the OCN BOINC team. Things have progressed a bit since then, and there is now a wealth of info along with a bunch of helpful crunchers on the OCN team.
:D

Be sure and put your BOINC ID in your profile to get your BOINC postbit - The BOINC postbit is Here!

1381 - 1400 of 1419 Posts