Overclock.net banner
1401 - 1419 of 1419 Posts

·
Tweaking since 386 era
50 Posts
thanks for the warm welcome, i just filled out the postbit! Interesting to see there is such an active community for a passive activity as distributed computing. Never expected that... do you guys have any suggested reading on this phenomenon for me?

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Right. Let's bring this thread back to the living world.

Is anybody crunching with an AMD GPU under any Debian-based distro?
I'm having a buttload of issues with Ubuntu server 16.04.5, the amdgpu-pro drivers, and a R9 290. I've already searched extensively for any workarounds and even tried to hack together a few of the amdgpu-pro modules.

To skip the first round of questions, the drivers work. I am on the latest kernel (4.13), lshw -c video shows amdgpu as currently active drivers, I am able to work with the GPU in other software, however BOINC is quite certain that there is no usable GPU.
Code:
31-Dec-2018 15:41:40 [---] GPU detection failed. error code 512
 31-Dec-2018 15:41:40 [---] No usable GPUs found

Edit: I've tried the proprietary stack to the same effect, and currently I have oibaf's open source driver stack installed.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Right. Let's bring this thread back to the living world.
Is anybody crunching with an AMD GPU under any Debian-based distro?
I'm having a buttload of issues with Ubuntu server 16.04.5, the amdgpu-pro drivers, and a R9 290. I've already searched extensively for any workarounds and even tried to hack together a few of the amdgpu-pro modules.

To skip the first round of questions, the drivers work. I am on the latest kernel (4.13), lshw -c video shows amdgpu as currently active drivers, I am able to work with the GPU in other software, however BOINC is quite certain that there is no usable GPU.
Code:
31-Dec-2018 15:41:40 [---] GPU detection failed. error code 512
 31-Dec-2018 15:41:40 [---] No usable GPUs found
Edit: I've tried the proprietary stack to the same effect, and currently I have oibaf's open source driver stack installed.

You will definitely need the proprietary stack (at least the openCL portion of it), or ROCm (if you're feeling adventurous) in order to crunch openCL projects. I'm not currently running a Debian based distro, but I am about to install Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS to help msgclb get a Fury X up and folding in Ubuntu. https://www.overclock.net/forum/370-team-competition/824250-ppd-police-130.html#post27783672

Just so you know that it can be done, I have had everything from 7970s (using the old Catalyst drivers) up to a Vega 64 crunching in Linux. :thumb:

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
You will definitely need the proprietary stack (at least the openCL portion of it), or ROCm (if you're feeling adventurous) in order to crunch openCL projects. I'm not currently running a Debian based distro, but I am about to install Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS to help msgclb get a Fury X up and folding in Ubuntu. https://www.overclock.net/forum/370-team-competition/824250-ppd-police-130.html#post27783672

Just so you know that it can be done, I have had everything from 7970s (using the old Catalyst drivers) up to a Vega 64 crunching in Linux. :thumb:

I had some issues with installing one of ROCm's dependencies. I will give it another go.
Thing is I've also ran a 7970, R9 270 (yeah yeah I know :p ), R9 290, RX 560 and RX 580 under Linux 16.04. All of them under the full proprietary driver stack and without any trouble whatsoever. Some of the cards even ran on this particular installation!

Have you restarted 1) the PC after driver install and 2) the client after restarting the PC? Last time I had an AMD card in Ubuntu the drivers loaded after the client so BOINC saw no GPU.
Yes, I always restart the server, even though I don't really need to.

E: ROCm did not work. Neither the full stack nor the OpenCL subset.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
That is a head-scratcher if you had tahiti and polaris GPUs crunching. I did a quick test with the latest pro-driver (18.50), and [email protected] also failed to see the GPUs. Which Pro driver are you trying to run now? I think that 18.40 was the last driver to officially support 16.04 LTS. Maybe just try and go back to one of the previous versions. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-40 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-30

I am currently running the latest driver, but I didn't see any improvements from the 18.30 driver.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
I tried 18.20, I tried 18.40
I tried hacking together a few modules of the 18.04 LTS driver.

But all that doesn't matter. I got it working, although in an incredibly stupid way...
I downloaded the dev version (7.4.22) of the boinc-client from Berkeley's site and it just ran.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Ha, so evidently there is some issue between the way the current client, and the Ubuntu version of the openCL drivers, are identifying compatible openCL GPUs. This looks exactly like the issue that [email protected] has with openCL on AMD.

I don't have this issue on my systems, but they are all running Arch. These are the portions of the AMDGPU-Pro Ubuntu driver that I use:

• opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd_driverVersion_amd64.deb
  • opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd_driverVersion_amd64.deb
  • libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1_2.4.95-driverVersion_amd64.deb
In addition to those packages from the Ubuntu driver the only other things needed is to get the openCL libraries added/linked in the correct locations, the standard libdrm from Mesa, and the Open source OpenCL ICD loader (ocl-icd). Here is a link to the package for opencl-amd from the AUR on Arch. https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/ocl-icd/ You can see what it is bringing in from the Ubuntu driver if you click "View PKGBUILD" under "Package Actions".

I haven't tried it yet, but it replicating this should be fairly straight forward on Debian based distros without using all of the additional cruft from the AMDGPU-Pro stack.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
Ha, so evidently there is some issue between the way the current client, and the Ubuntu version of the openCL drivers, are identifying compatible openCL GPUs. This looks exactly like the issue that [email protected] has with openCL on AMD.

I don't have this issue on my systems, but they are all running Arch. These are the portions of the AMDGPU-Pro Ubuntu driver that I use:

• opencl-amdgpu-pro-icd_driverVersion_amd64.deb
  • opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd_driverVersion_amd64.deb
  • libdrm-amdgpu-amdgpu1_2.4.95-driverVersion_amd64.deb
In addition to those packages from the Ubuntu driver the only other things needed is to get the openCL libraries added/linked in the correct locations, the standard libdrm from Mesa, and the Open source OpenCL ICD loader (ocl-icd). Here is a link to the package for opencl-amd from the AUR on Arch. https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/ocl-icd/ You can see what it is bringing in from the Ubuntu driver if you click "View PKGBUILD" under "Package Actions".

I haven't tried it yet, but it replicating this should be fairly straight forward on Debian based distros without using all of the additional cruft from the AMDGPU-Pro stack.

Heh, ironically, I had already tried everything you said. I had manually linked all the libraries because the paths weren't correct (x86_64-linux-gnu instead of lib64, I think). Installing opencl-amd didn't work for me either, regardless which kernel I tried it on. The ICD loader wasn't necessary for my last try which got it working.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure where else to post it but the RX 5700 XT properly undervolted with the GDDR6 overclocked is more energy efficient than the Radeon VII at hashing ETC. I'm wondering how to benchmark it in BOINC as I'm contributing to the [email protected] project in the Overclock.net team. I can see how much credit I'm receiving but I don't know what to compare it to.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Radeon VII is really a bigger pro card so I can see how the 5700s are more efficient.

My RX 580 can do 2x in 19-20min, 1080Ti can do a task in ~7:30, 1070Ti in ~10:50 and 1070 in 12:30.

Some 5700 comments here including some from @tictic;
https://einsteinathome.org/content/all-things-navi-10

Some people have posted Radeon VII numbers here:
https://einsteinathome.org/content/all-things-radeon-vii-vega-20

Do you allow stats export from [email protected] site? I don't see your name:
https://stats3.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=eah&team=10797

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
I get that but it wasn't very clear from an end user perspective that while I could see my own contributions, nobody else could. It appears that changing my settings has all my credit showing up TODAY when in fact it covers more than a week.
Yep, I saw your stats update today. For new users, everything will show up as it's like you're a new user today. There are still being that have been crunching for years that enable external stats export. I believe external sites wipe out the user tables so even if you crunched before the option started one would no longer display. Enabling the option would output all the credit as if done in one day.

All user stats can still be seen at [email protected] website. The option is for external stats export.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm still rocking my i7-6700K so I have it set to run 4 threads whenever CPU usage is below 45% total. That is pretty much all the time except for stalls here and there since I am not playing my more CPU intensive games at the moment. My RX 5700 XT A.E. is on a Wattman profile that runs it at ~100W total but still hashes at almost the full power of the card. The best power curve for this card is well below the factory specs so basically think of them all even reference as factory overclocked at this point. I'm hoping that the future RX 5800/5900 can do the same but at a less gimped core clock speed.

BTW it turns out the OpenCL drivers have a very small/silly bug that make Navi cards produce invalid results with this project. Until there's a fix I am leaving the GPU portion disabled.

1401 - 1419 of 1419 Posts