Overclock.net banner

Boinc Team Pulse Check

8635 26
How is everyone doing? Things have certainly calmed down from the old days when we were having BGBs every most and frequently had 120-150 members attending/competing for prizes. The world has certainly changed for sure between hardware prices, presidents, pandemics, etc. Hope everyone is doing well, and ready to enjoy this holiday season.
So whats going on guys? I hope you all are well, and healthy as this year comes to a end. I pray that the new year will bring lots of great things for you all. Maybe one day we can put a defibrillator on this team and get it running like it used to be. If anyone needs anything I am here. Take care. 馃檹
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Not new to Overclock.net
I just grabbed a dual E5-2620 setup. Going to see how it performs with CPU tasks and might even put a GPU or 2 in it if the power draw isn't too insane. Looks like it has really old BIOS firmware so I want to look at updating that and see if I can grab some cheap v2 CPUs and increase the core count a bit.
Which motherboard are you using? I had upgraded my Intel S2600CP to support changing from 2670(v1) to 2680v2 CPUs; no problem with that upgrade.
WCG run times on the 2680 CPUs is about twice as long as on my Ryzen 3950x at 4 GHz. Power output from my PSU when CPUs are at full load is around 425 Watts.

Once more into the Fold
Same Intel S2600CP, I was just reading up on how to do the upgrade through the shell commands. Some people have issues with the upgrade and the other built in programs in the firmware when upgrading from the original BIOS.

Right now Im running 23 threads at 2.29Ghz pulling 220W at the wall with no GPU. About 50% longer run time on SiDock projects than my 1700x at 3.9GHz.

Once more into the Fold
Those prices are a little rich, the cheapest I found, at an actual webstore, were at servermonkey. Ebay also has a ton, but well ebay.....

I agree though, a modern Zen rig will have better PPD/Watt with a little higher initial investment.

Premium Member
Those prices are a little rich, the cheapest I found, at an actual webstore, were at servermonkey. Ebay also has a ton, but well ebay.....

I agree though, a modern Zen rig will have better PPD/Watt with a little higher initial investment.
I've bought a bunch of ES/QS CPUs on Ebay, and generally I haven't had any issues. Just look for a seller with good feedback, and you should be pretty safe.

If you keep the board, I have at least one 2680(v2) that needs a home. I have a second one, but I think it got fried when I toasted one of my boards running 4 OC'd GPUs 24/7. Watch out for running lots of GPUs if there is no auxiliary PCIe power on the board.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.