Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I managed to melt the cables from my psu and the motherboard's power connectors the last time i used BOINC.
I was "only" using 75% of the cpu when computer was idle, but it stressed the system too much anyway.
My question is this: Can anyone recommend a "safe" setting for me, so that I won't end up like I did the last time?
My motherboard then was a MSI K9A2-CF-F with a AMD Athlon II 820 cpu, and a 400w chieftec psu. My HT speed then was 240MHz.
I recently got a new coolermaster 500w psu with a ASUS M4785-M and the same CPU and Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 w/heatsinks. I run the HT link at a "safe" 240MHz and the ram at a little over 800MHz.
Appreciate the help. ;-)

Best regards from
Chiron

·
Hardware/Software OG
1,689 Posts
What it was was the CPU and the 5770 drawing to much on that cheap PSU...

I had a cheap 450W running a B55 x4 and a 5770 and it got so hot that I thought the cables were gonna melt so I put on a quality 450W and now run smooth as silk.

That new PS should help quite a bit. I think that OC on the CPU is ok, but what is your voltage at?

Also, worst case scenario you can set the CPU preferences to uses CPU time at like 50% and that will definitely take care of it. You could do that and go 100% on the GPU and still make good points (125K~150K ppd) with that rig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobos223
View Post

What it was was the CPU and the 5770 drawing to much on that cheap PSU...

Yes, I use a low-powered (around 50-60w 4670) then, but I probably overloaded the system with too many harddrives,fans etc.

Quote:

View Post

I had a cheap 450W running a B55 x4 and a 5770 and it got so hot that I thought the cables were gonna melt so I put on a quality 450W and now run smooth as silk.

That's good, it looks like there's a huge difference in the quality whnen it comes to psu's. A 450w of a quality brand will sometimes easily outperform a 600w "Cruzeair". ;-)

Quote:

View Post

That new PS should help quite a bit. I think that OC on the CPU is ok, but what is your voltage at?

I always run stock voltages, so i guess it's around 1.35v on the cpu?
My ram is upped to 2.1v (Corsair XMS2 DHX/EPP though)
The MSI P1MDG 5770 have voltage-control from the factory, but I haven't gotten around to try it out yet. I'll probably never will, as I'm not very fond of voltage tweaking. I like it in theory, though. lol

Quote:

View Post

Also, worst case scenario you can set the CPU preferences to uses CPU time at like 50% and that will definitely take care of it. You could do that and go 100% on the GPU and still make good points (125K~150K ppd) with that rig

Thanks for the tips, I'lll try those settings and keep an eye on the temperatures.
Have a nice day!

·
Premium Member
6,446 Posts
there is no way that pushing your system can cause the cables to melt. Its like buying a kia and riding the hell out of it or buying a mustang. which can you push harder/longer? you get out of it what you put into it. must have been a too high a gauge wiring that the psu was using. when you put a load on it, the amps were too much and got the wires hot.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilzon View Post
Definitely caused by the power supply lol chieftec

lol my thoughts exactly. I read chieftec and went, and theres your problem. Just get a decent brand PSU and youll be fine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts