Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure it went boom but its deffinitly dead..

800watt winpower PSU its dead as a dodo now.. about 10 min ago i realized it had gone, do you guys think it would have fooked my other
comonents too ?

I was Prime tressing a 4.36ghz i7-920 .. temps were fine as im water cooled

Iv ordered a CM Scout + CM 750 power supply but ill cancel it now if theres any chance my CPU and mobo is fooked too

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Winpower? There is a solid chance it might have taken something else with it. How did it die? With a bang, or just quietly?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Winpower? There is a solid chance it might have taken something else with it. How did it die? With a bang, or just quietly?

i was upstairs.. so dont know how it went.. nothing is physically blown on the motherboard but the PSU stinks.. Are winpowers known to take out components with a bang ?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJWarden
View Post

i was upstairs.. so dont know how it went.. nothing is physically blown on the motherboard but the PSU stinks.. Are winpowers known to take out components with a bang ?

Well they're more likely to kill something if they go quietly, but in general yes. Winpower is not a very good brand. Hook up another PSU and see how the system works.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey:)
View Post

DO yoiu have a other PSU u can hook up to it, to see if your cpu/mobo are still intact?

Nope..
ill get my new case and psu tomoro from ebuyer and try it.. if anything else has gone ill sell the case and psu on ebay seperatly.. get a laptop and never overclock again, this'll be the 2nd mobo iv killed in 4 weeks

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mayhem-pc
View Post

When my 2 4870x2 's took out my ocz 600 , It did not take anything with it , thank goodness ! .....hope yours goes the same !

Thanx.. iv never had a problem with using lower brand PSU in the 9 years iv been building PC's

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Nope..
ill get my new case and psu tomoro from ebuyer and try it.. if anything else has gone ill sell the case and psu on ebay seperatly.. get a laptop and never overclock again, this'll be the 2nd mobo iv killed in 4 weeks

You don't need to stop overclocking. The problem is you chose a completely ****ty power supply, so it was bound to happen eventually. If you pick a good unit this type of thing will never happen, even if you keep it for ten years.

Brands I recommend:

Corsair (all)
SeaSonic (all)
Enermax (all)
Antec (no Basiq, everything else is currently good)
PC Power & Cooling (good, but noisy and inefficient)
Zippy/Emacs (rare, excellent voltage stability, but noisy and inefficient)
CoolerMaster Real Power Pro and Silent Pro (no eXtremePower)
Thermaltake Toughpower (avoid TR2 or PurePower)
OCZ Z series (the rest are mediocre, avoid)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just ordered this CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU *Special Offer Bundle* was only £136 delivered tomoro.. wanted that case anyway.. so nows the time to buy it

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have built plenty of PC's using lower brand PSU's with no problems ......However , Once I got into some pretty Pricey hardware , I wanted to be more safe then sorry ! So , off to corsair I went , and Honestly I couldnt be more happier with it's performance !

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanx.. iv never had a problem with using lower brand PSU in the 9 years iv been building PC's

It's luck of the draw when it comes to lower tier PSUs. It's highly likely that it wasn't putting out rated power.

When you say building pc for 9 years...do you mean for personal use? and have you stressed the different PSUs? I mean that was a hefty OC for a mediocre PSU at best.

Stay away from PSUs that come with cases, I'm sure you know this.

lol don't know how many times i mentioend psu

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by exileschild
View Post

It's luck of the draw when it comes to lower tier PSUs. It's highly likely that it wasn't putting out rated power.

When you say building pc for 9 years...do you mean for your personal use? and have you stressed the different PSUs? I mean that was a hefty OC for a mediocre PSU at best.

Stay away from PSUs that come with cases, I'm sure you know this.

lol don't know how many times i mentioend psu

Personal and Friends gaming PC's .. This PSU was a seperate buy thought 800watts with 4x 12v rails would be ok but at £30 guess i was wrong
just been looking at the Bundle deal im getting delivered tomoro and the PSU is a single 12v rail at 50A.. just hope all my stuff still works
if not ill have to pimp out the misses to raise more funds

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Poor power supplies can cause more damage than just when they fail. High noise and ripple levels can wear on electrolytic capacitors, causing a higher failure rate of motherboards and graphics cards. Poor voltage control can also cause issues... Just a little out of spec on the +5V and suddenly you don't have a hard drive anymore. If the +5VSB gets too wonky you can kill your motherboard. Too low on the +12V rail can cause instability, and too high can damage components. PSUs can even cause overheating; a guy I helped replaced his Cyberpower 800W with a SeaSonic S12D 850W and his GTX285's core temp dropped by 20*C! Still have no clue why, but I've seen and heard this several times.

So you're wearing on your components more, risking damaging or killing them outright, possibly causing overheating, and suffering from a loud fan and poor efficiency... and the POS hasn't even failed yet.

Really, there's no excuse for not getting at least a decent power supply. Winpower, Coolmax, Raidmax, Logisys, Dynex, Diablotek... Let 'em burn. If you don't buy their crap they'll go out of business and no one will have to put up with this garbage anymore.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by exileschild
View Post

heh Hope it didn't take any other component out in a last ditch effort.

me too mate but time will tell

1 - 20 of 26 Posts