1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
how two spel
3,036 Posts
Hmm, I really hate to be the one to suggest a higher priced item but you see I can't stand to see an SSD be almost if not entirely filled up by the OS alone. If your budget cannot stretch any further, you should go with one of the Vertex series drives you linked because they have the indillinx controller in them and do not have the stutter problems associated with the JMicron controller. I can't speak for the agility series, I don't know anything about them. Otherwise, if your budget can stretch about 100 bucks, I say go with the 80gb Intel X25-M Generation 2 drives which support TRIM. I think it is a much better use of your money because you can install your OS along with your main applications and games and see a huge performance increase on those and anything else you install on the SSD. Ultimately it is up to you but I say if you are going to take the plunge, better to go with something that leaves room for possibility.

About TRIM, I know it is supported on the Intel's but not sure about OCZ drives.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's so far.

Anyways @ Lysdexik. I've got win 7 and all my main programs loaded now and I'm only at 27gb. I also found this guide that is supposed to reduce the size of Win 7 by a fair bit. I understand where your coming from though.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=913
Also MalVeaux (the 2nd post) had a great suggestion to keep the size down.
http://www.overclock.net/hard-drives...-tomorrow.html

So I think 30gb is just enough, besides I got a X25-M for a few games. It looks like it is between the Agility and Vertex, any preference for one over the other?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAtOCing
View Post

So I think 30gb is just enough, besides I got a X25-M for a few games. It looks like it is between the Agility and Vertex, any preference for one over the other?

If you do a little digging, you'll find that the Agility series have changed NAND chips and are faster than the Vertex. The Agility used to be much cheaper and the 120 gb SSD sold for $259, but once the secret got out, the prices jacked up $100. Anyways, go over to the OCZ forums and read up. You'll find a lot of Agility versus Vertex threads.

• Rep+
Reactions: NewAtOCing

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
The Agility and Vertex only differ in the Flash ICs used. Vertex uses Samsung while Agility uses Toshiba. The Agility was slower but small margin. However, Toshiba upgraded theirs ICs so new Agility SSDs are faster.

• Rep+
Reactions: NewAtOCing

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I guess the OCZ forum would a better choice than google for research. I'll head over there now.

So does newegg probably carry the new Agilitys then?

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAtOCing View Post
Yeah, I guess the OCZ forum would a better choice than google for research. I'll head over there now.

probably, newegg would be one of the first to get a newer revision ssd, so i would think so
might wanna check tho first on the ocz forums.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAtOCing
View Post

Yes
That's also why the price increased quite a bit. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing the 120 gb version when it was at $259. I literally had it in my shopping cart, but decided to wait.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
Yes
That's also why the price increased quite a bit. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing the 120 gb version when it was at $259. I literally had it in my shopping cart, but decided to wait.
Wow, thats no good. Think of it this way, you saved money!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts