Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a copy of windows xp for my new computer off ebay. When i try to run it however it comes up with the msg 'press enter to boot...' and when i do it just reappears. The CD is a CD-RW is this a problem?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume i was ripped off then
Luckily i didnt pay much but i will try to get my money back all the same!
What type of disk does it need to be? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
it needs to be a liscensed version of windows xp from microsoft. a cdrw means the seller burnt a copy. threaten the seller that youll report him to microsoft and ebay. they will likely just refund your money and avoid the hassle. i may be wrong but i dont think youll find a good copy of windows xp for much less than $75-80.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
k thanks. Shame i was looking forward to having my comp set up today since its my birthday
Oh well things never go to plan. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick question on this. Does it use a special type of disk then or is it just cdrw that wont work?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
it should just be a regular disc. actually i have used a cdrw when i add sp2 and various drivers to install my original copy of xp. a cdrw can work it is probably something the guy you bought it from did wrong, or something your supposed to do to make it work that you dont know about. either way you shouldnt be getting a cdrw as a windows xp install disc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
They come on regular CDs that look like this (or similar):

EDIT:
The entire front of the disc has a hologram effect and the center ring on the bottom also has this effect. It should say VALID over top of a weaved looking thing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe yeah mines nothing like that! Its just plain with CD-RW on it as well as Tesco's name....Cant imagine where he got it!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazino

it needs to be a liscensed version of windows xp from microsoft. a cdrw means the seller burnt a copy. threaten the seller that youll report him to microsoft and ebay. they will likely just refund your money and avoid the hassle. i may be wrong but i dont think youll find a good copy of windows xp for much less than $75-80.

Do what they said and you should at least get your money back. I think it retails for between $85 & $110...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts