Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so currently I'm dual booting FC11 and XP.

Grub is the boot loader.

if i need to boot another linux distro lets say ubuntu.

how would i go about doing this?

would i just install ubuntu on an open partition and grub will do it's thing or what?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx
View Post

you can either have ubuntu install it's own grub menu automaticly or you can tell it not to install grub at all and edit your menu in fedora to add the ubuntu option.

i think i'd rather leave grub and add the ubuntu option.

do you think you could tell me how?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you want to go the second route, just edit your /boot/grub.conf following the pattern that's already there. The title can really be anything you want, but you have to point to the root of the right partition. If you have 3 and only one disk it'll be 0,2.

Title = Ubuntu
root = (hd0,2)

The kernel and other stuff might vary.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by esocid
View Post

If you want to go the second route, just edit your /boot/grub.conf following the pattern that's already there. The title can really be anything you want, but you have to point to the root of the right partition. If you have 3 and only one disk it'll be 0,2.

Title = Ubuntu
root = (hd0,2)

The kernel and other stuff might vary.

alright sweet.
where would i see the option where i could not install the boot manager while installing ubuntu?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

Why not just use a virtual machine?

vmware is great. but what it doesn't work with what im using this for.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I don't know when it will prompt, but I'm sure it's there. I know the option is there during the Fedora install.

If you have to do this in the future, look at your fdisk output, and find the disk and partition. sda=hd0 sda1=hd0,0
sdb=hd1 sdb2=hd1,1

etc...

It gets annoying when you have a lot of disks. For example, mine goes to sdg1 with 12 partitions mixed throughout

·
Premium Member
8,661 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by this n00b again
View Post

alright sweet.
where would i see the option where i could not install the boot manager while installing ubuntu?

If I remember correctly it should be in an advanced options dialog somewhere near the end of the installer options... like on the last page before you confirm your choices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts