Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got very interested in Linux just a while ago, and I was wondering if anyone is booting Linux off of a flash drive? If so, what flash drive should I get? What size would be the best for it? I was thinking about a 16GB one or maybe larger. This looks like fun, so I want to be able to carry Linux all over the place and then learn how to maneuver through it too.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I think the minimal size is 2GB flash drive (for Ubuntu), but if you'd like to save your changes and you don't plan on having any huge programs, I'd say you would be okay with a four or eight GB flash drive. Be careful though, some flash drives do not allow you to boot from them. Just google it before you buy it.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually plan to save stuff on it.

I was looking at the 16GB patriot one. People said they can run linux on it. I wonder are there better flash drives. I don't really like how it's design.

·
Premium Member
14,362 Posts
I run Backtrack 3 off a regular SanDisk Cruzer Micro. Works well for me. I have also used a Memorex TravelDrive. The faster the flash drive, the better performance you will get. I haven't seen any problems with mine. It is sure nice to have when I botch the boot record or need to take a 3rd party look at one of my drives.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
I'd go for a 4gb or an 8gb if I were you. The larger the size, the slower the drive will be.

Anyway, I have an OCZ Rally 8gb, and it's pretty fast. Just go look up some flash drive benchmarks.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really want at least 16GB carriable though.

I guess I'll have to determine it myself then. I'll see what else i can dig up.

edit:
The rally looks like it's not carriable. I want it to be part of my keychain or something like that. And I heard the light is insanely bright. I don't realy want to have noticeable light either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227272
This is the only things I can find.

I wish there were cooler flash drives. Where I can wear something and old the flash drive. I saw a very cool flash drive in this Japanese drama.

edit2:
Where's error10 lately? I thought he'd have something to add?

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Any of those 3 you chose should be fine.

I personally love the bright orange light on my rally2.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Redmist is there anyway you can take a picture of the Rally?

Now that I think of it, I can actually mod the flashdrive to make it into something cool to hold on to.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
I always here good things about the Voyager's design being very durable (perfect to carry around in your pocket with keys, phone, etc)

I Personally run CrunchEee on a 2Gb Kingston, but you should look into one of these.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not really looking into an Anime design, but more of a "cool" design. They have to be able to boot Linux or else it kills the point too.

The voyager looks very awkward to mod though. They are all carriable, but so hard to choose the right one.

edit
I wonder if they made a replica of the usb flash drive the main character in Bloody Monday..I wanted that one.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
You want me to help you choose a flash drive?!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha! I mean for Linux.

I thought you'd have any advice for booting linux on a flash drive.

I think I might go with the OCZ Rally2. It's the thinnest one out of the others too. But then the reviews freak me out because a lot of them said it was high failure rate, but I don't relaly trust them either since they are kind of clustered.
Can't wait to get it and try it with linux.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts