Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirmed good memory/psu.

I got a g3258 and this board from ebay both saying they are in working condition, but i cannot get into bios at all.

This is the screen i am greeted with 1/5 times, other four times its a cursor on top left with the number 99 on bottom right:

Ive tried resetting cmos, removing battery for half an hour, reseating CPU (pins look perfectly fine) as well as trying every combination of ram slots.

I have it on a bench right now nothing is plugged in besides cpu power/24 pin power HDMI cable and a PS2 keyboard. Can anyone suggest what else to try? Is there something i can enter on that scree that would let me get into the bios?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update: If i move the memory around enough i eventually get to a screen that says "new cpu or memory detected, press f1 to run setup or f2 for default and continue"

If i press either of those keys it just goes to a black screen and does nothing.....

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have suggestions? Id really like to get this thing working but ive run out of ideas. Both of the parts were stated as good when i got them, i just need a way to get into the bios to disable uefi booting (as far as im aware that is the problem im having).

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok ive made some progress, but would really appreciate some help on what to do from here.

By removing the battery and hooking up a hard drive from another PC that had windows on it i am actually in windows on this new PC, but what can i do in windows to ensure i can get into the bios on this rig to change UEFI options etc? Im not turning this thing off until i know what exactly to do lol.

Ok soooo, under CPU-z the bios version is listed as 10.2, but that isnt even a correct naming scheme if you go by MSI website:
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition

Would you guys suggest i download the MSI live update tool and try and flash bios from windows? Should i put the battery back in first or does that not matter (only way i am able to boot off hard drive was by removing battery in first place).

Update: There is apparently no option in MSI live update for bios, they removed this feature apparently? Bios version listed in this program is A.20 which is the correct naming scheme but its not listed on the MSI page, it goes from A1 to A3....

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To make clear my problem, from a fresh boot i either get a screen that i posted a screenshot of, a cursor with a2 or 99 code in bottom right hand corner, or if i move memory to a different slot i get a screen saying f1 to configure or f2 for defaults, either of those options result in a black screen. Basically i have no option to get into the bios

Now that ive removed the battery and installed the HDD i dont know what to do, i have a feeling if i reboot the system there still wont be a "press delete to enter bios screen" and i dont even know if ill get back into windows lol.

Edited for clarity.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
To make clear my problem, from a fresh boot i either get a screen that i posted a screenshot of, a cursor with a2 or 99 code in bottom right hand corner, or if i move memory to a different slot i get a screen saying f1 to configure or f2 for defaults, either of those options result in a black screen. Basically i have no option to get into the bios

Now that ive removed the battery and installed the HDD i dont know what to do, i have a feeling if i reboot the system there still wont be a "press delete to enter bios screen" and i dont even know if ill get back into windows lol.

Edited for clarity.
Don't worry about booting the HD, just try to get into BIOS setup screen first.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't worry about booting the HD, just try to get into BIOS setup screen first.
Well i did this to confirm the parts are working, and indeed they are. (bought a g3258 and this motherboard off ebay for super cheap)

I just dont know what to do from here, there is no option to enter the bios and i think the reason i keep getting the EFI shell screen is the bios is set to that as first boot option, removing the battery made it so i can bypass that setting and boot from this HDD.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will doing this force a bootup screen or is that option basically a restart?

The problem i think that is happening is two fold, the bios has incorrect boot order and i think i need to disable UEFI booting (not sure on that last one tho).

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you even need a bios battery lol? My goal with this PC is to have it as a backup/secondary PC that my cousin can use once WoW classic launches. I want to overclock the snot out of it but maybe i can just use intel xtu or some other software?

Advice/ideas lol? I have no clue why there is no "press delete to enter bios screen", maybe the fast boot option is turned on in there? But wouldnt removing the bios battery also bypass that setting?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Do you even need a bios battery lol? My goal with this PC is to have it as a backup/secondary PC that my cousin can use once WoW classic launches. I want to overclock the snot out of it but maybe i can just use intel xtu or some other software?

Advice/ideas lol? I have no clue why there is no "press delete to enter bios screen", maybe the fast boot option is turned on in there? But wouldnt removing the bios battery also bypass that setting?
Have you tried to just mash the delete key after power on? The BIOS battery keeps the settings you set in BIOS when the power from the wall is absent.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried to just mash the delete key after power on? The BIOS battery keeps the settings you set in BIOS when the power from the wall is absent.
Of course i have :) Not only that ive tried two different keyboards one being a old PS2 model. The only pre-windows pages i get is the one i posted a screenshot of, a screen with a cursor on top left with a a2 or 99 code in bottom right corner, or like i said if i move memory to different slots i can once in a while get the press f1 for setup or f2 for default settings (both of these options do nothing, just black screen).

I of course have also tried resetting cmos by removing battery for over an hour, and shorting the pins next to the battery for 30 seconds with a screwdriver.

I am simply at a loss on what to do next, but i am happy that these parts are at least functional i only paid 60 for the board and 30 for the chip :) Right now its hooked up to my TV and im playing youtube videos flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Of course i have :) Not only that ive tried two different keyboards one being a old PS2 model. The only pre-windows pages i get is the one i posted a screenshot of, a screen with a cursor on top left with a a2 or 99 code in bottom right corner, or like i said if i move memory to different slots i can once in a while get the press f1 for setup or f2 for default settings (both of these options do nothing, just black screen).

I of course have also tried resetting cmos by removing battery for over an hour, and shorting the pins next to the battery for 30 seconds with a screwdriver.

I am simply at a loss on what to do next, but i am happy that these parts are at least functional i only paid 60 for the board and 30 for the chip :) Right now its hooked up to my TV and im playing youtube videos flawlessly.
Have you checked the motherboard manual for what key to use to enter BIOS setup?

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ya i dont get it either.

The only option here must be that fast boot is enabled by DEFAULT on this bios version, as surely removing the battery for an hour will have reset the bios to its default right? I also followed the instructions for clearing CMOS in the manual, there is no jumper on this board only two pins so i assume you must use a screwdriver or something.

Should i download the MSI fast boot utility to try and restart to bios with that, or should i use windows recovery options like the video i linked on last page?

That still would not explain why this PC tries to boot to an EFI shell when no storage device is present, but maybe there is some option in the bios to disable that?

Bottom line, i need to get into this dam bios lol.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
All you need to do is unplug from the wall press the power button and short the CMOS pins for 3-5 seconds to clear user BIOS settings.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All you need to do is unplug from the wall press the power button and short the CMOS pins for 3-5 seconds to clear user BIOS settings.
Yup did exactly that (went a bit longer just to be sure) with a phillips screwdriver.

So that means fast boot must be a default setting on this bios, because there is no "press delete" for bios page at all, not even a MSI logo page.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update, tried booting directly to bios from MSI's 'fast boot' tool and nothing happened, black screen.

There is also NO option to boot to UEFI from windows.

Someone explain that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts