Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm at a loss on what to do here. I was updating my video card drivers when my computer decided to freeze on me. I waited forever and eventually decided to restart my computer only to find the bootmgr missing notification. The first thing I did was attempt a startup repair but that didn't do anything. After looking in BIOS, I didn't even see my SSD listed. I've tried switching ports and reformatting but the drive isn't showing up at all. Is my SSD a goner? In case anybody asks, I was trying to install the 320.49 WHQL driver for my GTX 460. I'm about to go to sleep but any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbondPDX View Post

Hey guys I'm at a loss on what to do here. I was updating my video card drivers when my computer decided to freeze on me. I waited forever and eventually decided to restart my computer only to find the bootmgr missing notification. The first thing I did was attempt a startup repair but that didn't do anything. After looking in BIOS, I didn't even see my SSD listed. I've tried switching ports and reformatting but the drive isn't showing up at all. Is my SSD a goner? In case anybody asks, I was trying to install the 320.49 WHQL driver for my GTX 460. I'm about to go to sleep but any input is greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue except i accidentally disabled my os drive.. lol i tried all the repair stuff and like you my ssd didnt show. dont worry your hardware is totally fine, you just have to reinstall windows and reformat the drives you have issues with. its a pain but i was happy my hardware is fine. Just throw in your os install disk and start over.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by willll162904 View Post

I had the same issue except i accidentally disabled my os drive.. lol i tried all the repair stuff and like you my ssd didnt show. dont worry your hardware is totally fine, you just have to reinstall windows and reformat the drives you have issues with. its a pain but i was happy my hardware is fine. Just throw in your os install disk and start over.
I tried reformatting but my computer doesn't recognize that the ssd is plugged in so I don't have anywhere to install to. I think I might try connecting it to my htpc tomorrow and see if it gets detected.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What sort of SSD are you running and what is the drivers?

I had a OCZ Vertex 2 running sandforce drivers and after a hard reset bricked itself. they are prone to doing that when they are hard reset. I paid $299 aud for mine and its a worthless paperweight now

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
What brand/model is your SSD? Was it on the latest firmware? Did you try swapping cables? Try to get it detected on your HTPC as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: mbondPDX

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post

What sort of SSD are you running and what is the drivers?

I had a OCZ Vertex 2 running sandforce drivers and after a hard reset bricked itself. they are prone to doing that when they are hard reset. I paid $299 aud for mine and its a worthless paperweight now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbomba View Post

What brand/model is your SSD? Was it on the latest firmware? Did you try swapping cables? Try to get it detected on your HTPC as well.
It's a 64gb Crucial m4 and it is not on the latest firmware. 040H was the last update I did. However, I installed the SSD in my HTPC it showed up right away. I decided to throw it in my rig again just to see what happens and it's working just fine. What the heck? Regardless, thanks for the help everybody.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:

It's a 64gb Crucial m4 and it is not on the latest firmware. 040H was the last update I did. However, I installed the SSD in my HTPC it showed up right away. I decided to throw it in my rig again just to see what happens and it's working just fine. What the heck? Regardless, thanks for the help everybody.
The Patriot SSD in my HTCP does the exact same thing sometimes.
Usually after any time I go in to BIOS I get the bootmgr missing message. I usually have to power off the system and wait a couple of minutes and the drive will reappear and work as normal. I have no idea why it does this, I've just learned to live with it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Quote:

Hi, there is a known bug with m4s, which causes the drive to stop functioning (PC freezing, issues after restart) from time to time, after the drive has reached 5000 hours.

Fix is to update to latest firmware.

Had the same thing on my 128gb m4.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post

Hi, there is a known bug with m4s, which causes the drive to stop functioning (PC freezing, issues after restart) from time to time, after the drive has reached 5000 hours.

Fix is to update to latest firmware.

Had the same thing on my 128gb m4.
This bug was supposedly fixed by firmware 0309.
But updating to the latest probably won't hurt.

Quote:
However, I installed the SSD in my HTPC it showed up right away. I decided to throw it in my rig again just to see what happens and it's working just fine. What the heck? Regardless, thanks for the help everybody.
This might just be a loose sata cable connection.
Have you checked your drive's SMART report? Try using CrystalDiskInfo for this.
Or running windows scandisk?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradTP View Post

This bug was supposedly fixed by firmware 0309.
But updating to the latest probably won't hurt.
This might just be a loose sata cable connection.
Have you checked your drive's SMART report? Try using CrystalDiskInfo for this.
Or running windows scandisk?
Thanks for the info on that bug. I plan on updating the firmware and checking the SMART report when I get home from work. I had tried multiple sata cables in multiple ports but my main rig refused to detect it until I put it in my HTPC. I'm just glad it isn't dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts