Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer has been really loud lately as soon as I boot it up, and then the sound dies down about 3-5 minutes after starting it up.

Could this be cause for worry for concern of a computer part dying? Should I get the fans replaced? Or could it also be the power supply making this noise?

I know it's hard to say, but the fans are stock since I purchased the computer case, and my power supply should probably be upgraded somewhere down the line anyways to allow for a better GPU too..

Anyways, just wondering if this extra loud bootup is "normal" with any other PCs? Or if there are any suggestions for quick fixes on it?

Thanks!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
If it's dying down 3-5 minutes later, then it's probably the optical drive(s).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My DVD drive is brand new, less than a few months old and I clean the inside of my computer case quite regularly with canned air, so I don't think dust is the issue either..

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimiter;13050483
My DVD drive is brand new, less than a few months old and I clean the inside of my computer case quite regularly with canned air, so I don't think dust is the issue either..
But still, disconnect the DVD drive just as an experiment.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roweyi7;13050482
In my old system, the rear exhaust fan would rattle when i powered it up, then stop rattling as soon as it booted into windows; It's a funny world.
thats probably because once windows loaded it would take over control of the devices with fans plugged in to them.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I should probably take a good listen with my ear next to it to determine where the noise is coming from next time I boot it up.

I don't have any discs in my DVD drive, but it sounds different from that anyways.. like a lawnmower or a weedeater
tongue.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revlimiter
View Post

Yeah, I should probably take a good listen with my ear next to it to determine where the noise is coming from next time I boot it up.

I don't have any discs in my DVD drive, but it sounds different from that anyways.. like a lawnmower or a weedeater

Maybe there's a fan hitting a cable or something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Probably fans, possibly your GTX 465 fans. Update to the latest drivers on your video card and dust off the case fans.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revlimiter
View Post

I had a 9800GTX+, it rev'd up somewhat, similar to a jet turbine for a bit when I first turned on the system.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckol1;13050592
I had a 9800GTX+, it rev'd up somewhat, similar to a jet turbine for a bit when I first turned on the system.
Yeah, but his system sounds like a thin cable is hitting a fan somewhere or something. I mean, he's describing it with words like "lawnmower", or "weed eater".

Kinda like how a bicycle sounds with a playing card attached so that it hits the spokes to make it sound like a motor bike.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Yeah, but his system sounds like a thin cable is hitting a fan somewhere or something. I mean, he's describing it with words like "lawnmower", or "weed eater".

Kinda like how a bicycle sounds with a playing card attached so that it hits the spokes to make it sound like a motor bike.

You're dating your self with that comment,
Good times until my uncle noticed his baseball card collection was dwindling down.

OP check your fans for obstructions, if none try unplugging fans, then the drives if the fans are good

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Could be the optical drive, or the GPU fans. Sometimes they start up at 100%.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly
View Post

You're dating your self with that comment,
Good times until my uncle noticed his baseball card collection was dwindling down.

OP check your fans for obstructions, if none try unplugging fans, then the drives if the fans are good

Nah, I was doing that yesterday. I saw a YouTube video of someone doing that with their bicycle, and so I copied them.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
it'll be the GPU fans - there isn't anything else that fits the description.

Many motherboards will run fans at full speed on boot, but then they slow down to more manageable levels as the boards posts - so that would be a few seconds of noise only.

It can't be anything stuck in the fan blades as the noise wouldn't stop after 5 mins.

GPU fan speeds are controlled by the drivers - so they often run at high(er) speeds until Windows boots fully and the drivers slow the fans down.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast
View Post

it'll be the GPU fans - there isn't anything else that fits the description.

Many motherboards will run fans at full speed on boot, but then they slow down to more manageable levels as the boards posts - so that would be a few seconds of noise only.

It can't be anything stuck in the fan blades as the noise wouldn't stop after 5 mins.

GPU fan speeds are controlled by the drivers - so they often run at high(er) speeds until Windows boots fully and the drivers slow the fans down.

Yeah, but would a GPU fan keep spinning at full speed 3-5 minutes after Windows has loaded the driver?

This is why I think it's the DVD drive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts