Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol. Is this enough to call a mod?

I bought a used Cooler Master cpu cooler for $5. What a rip. lol

It looks like a stock cooler, so.. whatever.

What if I take this cooler and zip tie it to my stock cooler? Will that make it any cooler? or maybe if I zip tie the two heat sinks together and but the fans on the side so it's like a homemade POS tower w/ fans on the side lol. Give me some input. I'm boreddd.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you try to stack the fans on top of each other , it will probably restrict the airflow and cause any air that does get through to only travel as fast as the slowest fan....

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i actually did that with a crappy antec heatsink i put a fan on each side, top and bottom, and got 2 degrees cooler so try but as mentioned above the fans should be rated for the same rpms and running constant but the problem is only one of your fans can hook to the cpu input on ur mobo . so on fan will be running at different speeds dependent upon heat factors with your cpu. i had mine running like that for like two weeks wiht no problems just keep your eye on it cause a dead cpu fan could lead to some serious problems you do not need

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i have one plugged into cpu fan and the other into sys fan. both running at same speed. I took the new one apart just to get the fan and a mount. I mounted it before my stock heatsink and fan. I'm down to 22degrees without an oc.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiagnosisDirt
View Post

If you try to stack the fans on top of each other , it will probably restrict the airflow and cause any air that does get through to only travel as fast as the slowest fan....

bull... it would go faster cause the fast fan would push more air then the slow one what will result into forced air. this would speed up de slow fan. now if you would put a slow ontop of an fast one then i think the airflow would slow down or at best be even...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I zip tied a Tt 120mm case fan to my stock AMD heatsink, works beautifully, and less noise, too. Just gotta get it centered and as close to the heatsink as possible (I used a modded 80mm to 120mm fan shroud to get the airflow directed all into the heatsink, and then dremeled the fan shroud down to fit the heatsink. 3 degrees less at idle, 2 less under load, I say it was worth it since the fan was laying around not being used, and the shroud was free from a friend.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright. I tried it. Here is a pic in paint cause i'm at school. Bah.

[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/WiThOuTtHeSpAcEs/****.jpg%5B/IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/WiThOuTtHeSpAcEs/****.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]

Edit: Maybe I should pop a hole into the case side and somehow make a fan tunnel like those old intels did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts