Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty, i know, the questions are many...

so if my loop looks like this, does it hurt me in anyway, or is it on the other hand ,a really good loop

100-125 g/hr pump -> 80mm rad -> res -> block -> 300-320 g/hr pump (hydor L30) -> 80mm rad #2 -> back to 100-125 g/hr pump

all with 1/2 OD tubing - my main question is, with 2 diff. pumps in the loop, will the system be less or more efficient?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Why do you need a second radiator?

Are you mintoring your water temps?

If your water is reaching room temp, then a second radiator woulden't do anything..

Although either way, i'd recommend just going with a double heatercore...

What size hoses are you running? if not 1/2", I wouldne't get a second radiator thats only 3/8 or 1/4"

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
^ werd. you're not gonna get any lower than ambient temperature anyway. the only thing it would be good for is if you ran a 2nd radiator cuz the 1st one was inefficient or something. and besides... all this ^ and you're only cooling the cpu block? simple solution -> get a dual heater core and slap some 120mm fans on it and ditch the 2nd pump and those 80mm radiators.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I'm kind of wondering something, wouldnt one pump restrict the other one since their flow rates are very different???

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I'm kind of wondering something, wouldnt one pump restrict the other one since their flow rates are very different???

that was my first thought....the second pump is gonna pull all the water thru it and run dry before the first can put enough thru it to keep up. 2 pumps is ok if they are the same flow rate.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa190

that was my first thought....the second pump is gonna pull all the water thru it and run dry before the first can put enough thru it to keep up. 2 pumps is ok if they are the same flow rate.

And even I would gess then you would have to T them up... If you put them one after the other, you would still be pushing the same gph as if you had one.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Quote:

And even I would gess then you would have to T them up... If you put them one after the other, you would still be pushing the same gph as if you had one.

what about useing a "y" insted of a "t"?

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by remote_username

what about useing a "y" insted of a "t"?

That would work as well :shades2:

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Here comes Bindu with more water tips (these may be in the guide, but I have never read it as I am still an air head):

Pumps: For "optimum" conditions, the rated GPM/GPH of your pump at the head height of your highest feature in the circuit should match the GPM/GPH of the block. Any larger pump will only waste energy and add heat to the case as it will experience extra resistance. Also make sure that the ratings are based on the smallest ID in your circuit...1/2" ID hose probably goes on fittings sporting a 3/8" or 7/16" ID which can also reduce the GPM (even the little steps from the OD to the ID on the fittings can reduce flow since they disrupt the flow and can cause pressure...crazy stuff).

So, in your case Newbieocer, what you could do, if you have the room and if it is set up this way, is to add a smaller pump to the circuit hight than the middle of the head. Let's say your head is 10" (don't go there guys!!!), put the pump around the 7-8" mark. What this will do for you is remove some of the pressure the main pump sees pushing the head, thus increasing your GPM/GPH. How much? Could give you numbers if I tried...to many variables...but it will help ONLY if your head hight GPM/GPH for the master pump is lower than the GPM/GPH for your block (likely the most flow limiting item in the system). Only if you had a really tall head height would I think two additional pumps in the up-hill segment would help. Then the spacing would be that the highest pump would be located slightly below the head height rated for the GPM/GPH you are looking to move. Understand?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Here comes Bindu with more water tips (these may be in the guide, but I have never read it as I am still an air head):

Pumps: For "optimum" conditions, the rated GPM/GPH of your pump at the head height of your highest feature in the circuit should match the GPM/GPH of the block. Any larger pump will only waste energy and add heat to the case as it will experience extra resistance. Also make sure that the ratings are based on the smallest ID in your circuit...1/2" ID hose probably goes on fittings sporting a 3/8" or 7/16" ID which can also reduce the GPM (even the little steps from the OD to the ID on the fittings can reduce flow since they disrupt the flow and can cause pressure...crazy stuff).

So, in your case Newbieocer, what you could do, if you have the room and if it is set up this way, is to add a smaller pump to the circuit hight than the middle of the head. Let's say your head is 10" (don't go there guys!!!), put the pump around the 7-8" mark. What this will do for you is remove some of the pressure the main pump sees pushing the head, thus increasing your GPM/GPH. How much? Could give you numbers if I tried...to many variables...but it will help ONLY if your head hight GPM/GPH for the master pump is lower than the GPM/GPH for your block (likely the most flow limiting item in the system). Only if you had a really tall head height would I think two additional pumps in the up-hill segment would help. Then the spacing would be that the highest pump would be located slightly below the head height rated for the GPM/GPH you are looking to move. Understand?

negative!!!

lets stick to the trading...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

not nocessarily.. Depends on how much resistance he has..

If he has a very high resistance, and his current single pump rated at oh say, 300gph, can only pump 30gph.. If he doubles pumps, maybe he'l get a extra 15gph, possibly up to 30gph extra..

I think the Y idea would be REALLY bad, since unless he uses the EXACT same blocks on his CPU and GPU, then one of the blocks would get more flow..
Not to mention, if you did decide to use the Y idea, you'd wanna use like 5/8" hose Ying into 1/2" hoses or somthing, that way you can keep the flow up..

I'd say FIRST check your water temps.. I monitor my temps, and with my homemade radiator I had 10f above room temp water temps...
So I built a bong, now I get room temp water.. There is NO use in me using a radiator, or adding anything to mysetup, unless I remove the bong...
Same thing with yours, if your getting room temp water, or 1-2f above room temp, dont worry about a second rad.

If your water temps are higher, i'd suggest buying the 77 boneville radiator, possibly upgrading pumps..

Do a test and see how much water you flow.. Get a 5 gallon bucket or somthing ,adn time how long it takes to fill that bucket, and see how many GPM or GPH your getting.. Then you can decide if you need a new pump..

Personally I use a chitty Via Aqua 1300 pump.. I was thinking of ways to upgrade without just scraping this pump, at first I thought, i'l just buy a second and use it inline..
Now however im thinking of buying a really nice pump and use it ONLY on the CPU and GPU
then use the via aqua 1300 on a second loop for the chipset, video card ram, hard drive, and possibly ram.

My $0.02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts