Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new home and I'm Looking to get a 5.1 system set up. I really don't know much about what's good, I've just used boxed theater systems in the past.

Im looking at 7.1 receivers because they can handle my outdoor speakers. There are already rear surround speakers in the ceiling.

So I need a 7.1 receiver, front speakers (floor tower or bookshelf), a center, and a powered sub. Up to $1500 but hopefully less.

Can anyone give me suggestions?

·
Registered
299 Posts
well the good news is recievers are really not that bad. you can get a nice one depending on what you want. (i personally like yamaha) just have to decide what watt output and what kind of media you want it to support (dts, atmos,ect) also what is going to be connected through it (like is the hdmi going to run through it and such and how many items).
all im saying is anyone can recommend something but you need to make a list for yourself what you need, want, expect it to do theres alot more to one :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found good pre-owned recievers on Amazon and ebay, and that's ok with me. I'm really looking to see what speakers I should get.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I'd recommend going to frys for the receiver. If you're signed up to there mailer, they usually have a denon model for about half price. Just about every week it's a different model and some weeks they have more than one. In my area, the sunday ad shows the denon x4400h for $888, regular price around $1500. That wouldn't be what I'd suggest, I'd wait for the x2400 which usually goes for around $400, regular price of $800. That would leave you with around $1k for fronts, center and a sub. Speakers comes down to what sound you like. THe sub really depends on room size and budget.

I was going to suggest something similar to this, but then realized you didn't need all 5.1 speakers. LIke them, there are several other online brands that sell good speakers. SVS is well known for their subs, but later started selling speakers too.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite-5-1

If you would like, you could also buy some klipsch speakers at frys. For a while know, they've included the RF-82 towers in their weekly ad for around $200 each and the matching center for around that price. They also have a sub for $200 every week, but I'm not a fan of it. The klipsch sound is very much personal preference. Some like it, some hate it.

·
Mmmm donuts.....
637 Posts
I'd recommend going to frys for the receiver. If you're signed up to there mailer, they usually have a denon model for about half price. Just about every week it's a different model and some weeks they have more than one. In my area, the sunday ad shows the denon x4400h for $888, regular price around $1500. That wouldn't be what I'd suggest, I'd wait for the x2400 which usually goes for around $400, regular price of $800. That would leave you with around $1k for fronts, center and a sub. Speakers comes down to what sound you like. THe sub really depends on room size and budget.

I was going to suggest something similar to this, but then realized you didn't need all 5.1 speakers. LIke them, there are several other online brands that sell good speakers. SVS is well known for their subs, but later started selling speakers too.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite-5-1

If you would like, you could also buy some klipsch speakers at frys. For a while know, they've included the RF-82 towers in their weekly ad for around $200 each and the matching center for around that price. They also have a sub for $200 every week, but I'm not a fan of it. The klipsch sound is very much personal preference. Some like it, some hate it.
+1 for Klipsch, i dont have RF82s just 52s but i absolutely love em. I even took em with me from the US to my move to France just haven't bought a receiver yet. I also have a velodyne sub that i got brand new for dirt cheap, Velodyne Impact 12. My 2 front Klipsch RF52 and RC52 ran me about 1100$ though.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a Denon x1400h for $299 on sale at best buy. I'm going to get the Monoprice monolith 10" sub. Still unsure which front and center speakers I should get. I'd like to spend no more than $500 on them.

·
Loosing Vision
1,889 Posts
I think one thing to address is the room size and whats going to be in it. I mean do you need a 8 inch SW or a 10" or a 12"? for many given rooms a 10" sub may be tighter but again placement. x2 10" in time may work better then a 12".

Speakers are all a mix bag of tricks. Klipsch can work great to as they have a series of lower end to the Reference. Also stay away from those package deals that have the small speaker system that is included with the receiver/amp. Get separate components so you don't need a special connector or amp to run it.

Be sure your room is proper grounded as well.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts