Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just looking for some suggestions on a build since there's some great Boxing Day special going on right now in Canada. Casual gaming like fallout 4 but used more for surfing and watching movies. Budget, well mid range I'd say. I have always used AMD in the past. I don't need an OS. Just the case and guts. I usually have 8gigs of ram but maybe 16 gig now is better nowadays? Video card, I fine with either rad or nvidia Running a regular monitor at 1920x1080? I think my current VC is a 6870 radeon and a phenom 955 so a few years old for sure lol.

I'm simply not up to date on current mobo-ram-video card matchings. Do I go 6 core or the 8 core? I see DDR4 is not worth it so stay with DDR3 I guess? I have no desire to OC anything or tinker too much, stock is fine.

Probably a WD black drive 1TB. Case I dont care about LEDs etc, it's all sitting under a computer desk hidden from eye.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh several hundred or so would be great, it's pretty loose but like 1200 is way to much because it's casual gaming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not to educated on Intel stuff but duel core processor? I know AMD has 4-8 cores and that's about it. Would I see a big jump if I went 16 gigs of ram compared to 8?

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaBob View Post

I'm not to educated on Intel stuff but duel core processor? I know AMD has 4-8 cores and that's about it. Would I see a big jump if I went 16 gigs of ram compared to 8?
that will depend on what you would play if your games are highly multithreaded then the FX would be faster around 30-20%

But if you will play games that prefer singlethread performance skylake is 50%+ faster(without counting the OC you can do on the i3 6100),on fallout 4 you would need a 4.7GHz FX 8core you match an i3 4150 (5% slower per clock than an i3 6100)

if you plan doing multitasking and you plan to run many tabs of a browser while doing some task 16GB would be better but for just some tabs of a browser and some tasks 8GB is fine

If you want some lower price you could get an i3 4150 and a Z87/97 mobo(in case you want a cpu with K that can OC) else a H97/87/81/B85 mobo and i3/i5/xeon or an used i5 3570k and a z77 mobo(or a 4670k and z87/97) to save money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts