Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just upgraded my build and I've gotten 3 or 4 blue screen errors in a time period of about 7 hours since I put the new items in today.

These were the errors on the blue screen...

1. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (Occurred while starting a game of Rainbow Six Siege - Did Memory Scan and it said it was fine.) - Overclock was on 4.9 GHz and cache 4.4 GHz

2. WIN32KBASE.SYS (Occurred while browsing on Chrome - Used CrystalDiskInfo and HD and SSD were GOOD) - Build was on 4.7 GHz and cache 4.4 GHz

3. SYSTEM ERROR (Occurred while installing Battlefield 1 and watching videos) - Build was on 4.5 GHz and cache 3.7 GHz

Down below is exactly what has been replaced and kept the same.

CHANGES

- Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz > to > Intel i7 8700K 3.7 GHz

- Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Mobo > to > Gigabyte Z370XP SLI LGA 1151 Mobo

- Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 > to > Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz

OTHER

- CRYORIG H7 COOLER > > SAME

- EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8B > > SAME

- Antec 620W 80+ Bronze Power Supply > > SAME

- Windows 10 Home > > SAME

- Apevia X-SNIPER2 ATX Case > > SAME

- Seagate 1TB HD and Western Digital 500GB SSD > > SAME

Can anyone please tell me what might be going on and steps to prevent this? Do I need a solid speed and voltage or something maybe? The cooler isn't the best for this CPU.

UPDATE

My next reply down a couple comments!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Is your overclock not stable? - Maybe start with the base frequency, with BIOS settings ALL standard and see if the machine is rock steady or not.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ive literally 2 weeks ago finished my 8700k /Gigabyte Auros 5 build
and yes, it was unstable out of the box
I am confident it was due to the stock bios settings on the
it got better once i disabled IGpu and VT-d but still wasn't rock solid
it has got a way lot better since i got involved and overclocked it

i suggest you run realbench and check if it shows instability

·
Registered
891 Posts
So it is down the the platform newness which will improve as the BIOS releases improve the platform - I hope

·
Registered
746 Posts
My first thought is unstable overclock. Try running the setup for a couple of days on default clocks to see if you still get the blue screens.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive literally 2 weeks ago finished my 8700k /Gigabyte Auros 5 build
and yes, it was unstable out of the box
I am confident it was due to the stock bios settings on the
it got better once i disabled IGpu and VT-d but still wasn't rock solid
it has got a way lot better since i got involved and overclocked it

i suggest you run realbench and check if it shows instability
Did you happen to install the Intel Quick Tuner setup? I installed that and the Gigabyte Apps program but one seemed to want to overclock to one setting, and the other to a different one.

I uninstalled the Intel overclock program, and left the Gigabyte Apps OC Tuner on Default, went into the BIOS and put them on everything on Default, except for the RAM which I raised to 3000 MHz manually, because the damn Intel program would continuously reset it.

Also, I did a couple Windows Updates after, and was able to launch Battlefield 1 and get pretty damn high quality video recording at Ultra with no issues. I'm hoping there are no more blue screen issues.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did you happen to install the Intel Quick Tuner setup? I installed that and the Gigabyte Apps program but one seemed to want to overclock to one setting, and the other to a different one.

I uninstalled the Intel overclock program, and left the Gigabyte Apps OC Tuner on Default, went into the BIOS and put them on everything on Default, except for the RAM which I raised to 3000 MHz manually, because the damn Intel program would continuously reset it.

Also, I did a couple Windows Updates after, and was able to launch Battlefield 1 and get pretty damn high quality video recording at Ultra with no issues. I'm hoping there are no more blue screen issues.
no, i only used the rgb fusion software.
all of my settings were stock in the bios to start with
make sure you have manually set your memory timings to manufacturers spec or to an xmp profile, in fact, double check the profile anyway

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first thought is unstable overclock. Try running the setup for a couple of days on default clocks to see if you still get the blue screens.
Check out my reply directly above this with an update. I'll try it again when I'm home and have a few hours. If everything runs smoothly, do you think it would be wise to get a decent liquid cooler so I can safely OC the CPU?

So it is down the the platform newness which will improve as the BIOS releases improve the platform - I hope
I'm hoping this was the case. Feel free to check out my update directly above.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, i only used the rgb fusion software.
all of my settings were stock in the bios to start with
make sure you have manually set your memory timings to manufacturers spec or to an xmp profile, in fact, double check the profile anyway
Might be a dumb question, but how do I go about double checking? Last night I just went into the BIOS, clicked Memory, and changed the value from 21 (2133) to 30 (3000) and left everything else on auto.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got home from work and got 3 blue screen errors and one weird trouble where I booted it up when I first got home, logged in and it was just a black screen. Had to restart, and then it immediately blue screen like 2 minutes after each start up to those listed below.

1. DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

2. Critical Process Died

3. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

These are while the clocks should be at default. There was a small Windows update, but it was for Defender. I also deleted the Gigabyte Apps which had the Overclock Tuner which I don't think was changing it upon startup, but I wanted to do it anyways.

After doing this, it's been like 15 minutes and everything has been okay.

Would a fresh install stop this from happening or is it still probably some weird interactions between the new hardware and old hardware? Is the PSU powerful enough? 620W

EDIT and another one just happened like 25 minutes after.

SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION

·
Senior OCN Member
39,837 Posts
Your PSU in more than powerful enough so wattage is not the problem
But with that being said the PSU might be dying and since its an old group regulated design you might want to think about getting some that uses DC-DC

·
Registered
371 Posts
No
dont re install anything until you are certain the bios is configured correctly
in the memory section, there will be xmp profiles, select one of those profiles which should configure the memory timing as per manufacturer.
i have no idea what settings will be used for your ram if you just bump up the speed and leave the timings on auto..
once you have an xmp profile loaded it should show the individual memory timings, you can check this against the manufacturer spec

for example, if this is your ram
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengea...00mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15
the timings are at the bottom of the page (tested latency)

once you are happy the ram is set to manufacturers spec you can then investigate further

·
Registered
746 Posts
Check out my reply directly above this with an update. I'll try it again when I'm home and have a few hours. If everything runs smoothly, do you think it would be wise to get a decent liquid cooler so I can safely OC the CPU?
Nothing wrong with getting a new better cooler whether air or AIO, but I think that ultimately depends on what temps you seeing.

I got home from work and got 3 blue screen errors and one weird trouble where I booted it up when I first got home, logged in and it was just a black screen. Had to restart, and then it immediately blue screen like 2 minutes after each start up to those listed below.

1. DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

2. Critical Process Died

3. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

These are while the clocks should be at default. There was a small Windows update, but it was for Defender. I also deleted the Gigabyte Apps which had the Overclock Tuner which I don't think was changing it upon startup, but I wanted to do it anyways.

After doing this, it's been like 15 minutes and everything has been okay.

Would a fresh install stop this from happening or is it still probably some weird interactions between the new hardware and old hardware? Is the PSU powerful enough? 620W

EDIT and another one just happened like 25 minutes after.

SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
When you swapped over to the new parts did you do a fresh install of Windows?(apologize if I missed that somewhere in the older posts) If all else fails, I would definitely give that a try. You could always clone your boot drive and if a fresh install of Windows didn't fix the issues. You can just re-clone your old image back to your boot drive.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
If the PC is not stable with the BIOS set to optimized default you need to run tests to isolate the components that are not working correctly. I would start with memtest86 also RealBench stress test.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No
dont re install anything until you are certain the bios is configured correctly
in the memory section, there will be xmp profiles, select one of those profiles which should configure the memory timing as per manufacturer.
i have no idea what settings will be used for your ram if you just bump up the speed and leave the timings on auto..
once you have an xmp profile loaded it should show the individual memory timings, you can check this against the manufacturer spec

for example, if this is your ram
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/vengea...00mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15
the timings are at the bottom of the page (tested latency)

once you are happy the ram is set to manufacturers spec you can then investigate further
I did a fresh install of Windows 10 this morning, because I didn't have much on it anyways. It was installed, all settings were on default, RAM 2133 MHz, CPU 4.3 / 3.7 GHz not overclocked. Hopped on computer after work, played Sea of Thieves, made a video, stopped playing, played again, in a span of 2 and a half hours. Then it blue screened with SYSTEM_MEMORY error. Ran a Memory Diagnostic and it said something failed and I should contact the computer hardware provider, so no clue if it's RAM or what. Computer restart, I started playing Sea of Thieves again and then an hour later I got blue screen RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED.

I'm honestly at a loss. I don't know what to do and it's making me upset because I spent $700 to have a nice working machine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing wrong with getting a new better cooler whether air or AIO, but I think that ultimately depends on what temps you seeing.

When you swapped over to the new parts did you do a fresh install of Windows?(apologize if I missed that somewhere in the older posts) If all else fails, I would definitely give that a try. You could always clone your boot drive and if a fresh install of Windows didn't fix the issues. You can just re-clone your old image back to your boot drive.
I just reinstalled Windows 10. And see above for recent issues that happened.

·
Facepalm
8,588 Posts
You were asked to run Memtest86 (UEFI boot version) but you haven't done that. Why? :/ You seem to be doing anything under the roof except what wingman told you to do.
The problem is almost 100% defective RAM, otherwise a defective CPU. Defective memory is MUCH MUCH more common so start there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your PSU in more than powerful enough so wattage is not the problem
But with that being said the PSU might be dying and since its an old group regulated design you might want to think about getting some that uses DC-DC
I unfortunately don't know what DC DC means.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You were asked to run Memtest86 (UEFI boot version) but you haven't done that. Why? :/ You seem to be doing anything under the roof except what wingman told you to do.
The problem is almost 100% defective RAM, otherwise a defective CPU. Defective memory is MUCH MUCH more common so start tehrre.
I'm looking it up now. Will update.

EDIT I don't have a USB drive. Is there an alternative?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I'm looking it up now. Will update.

EDIT I don't have a USB drive. Is there an alternative?
Memtest86 on CD or Windows 10 administrative tools memory test, also Mem Test.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts