Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to say this site is awesome! lol I have been learning from it for a few years now and figured it was about time to start being active(ish)
rolleyes.gif
I saw BOINC on here and started reading about it and it seems like a pretty cool thing so I wanted to try it out.

1-I really just want to make sure I am doing it right and contributing to the OCN team, when I picked each project and it shows overclock.net as my team so I am assuming I did it right?

2- Are there any projects I should be focusing on for the team? I am going to have this thing running almost 24/7... the only thread I found about picking a project to focus on was from 2010ish and it said to focus on [email protected] and I tried that one but after about 30 hours I had received 0 "work" from them

3- is there any good software to go with boinc for monitoring your total work done? I just started it yesterday and didnt have it going for a while as I was working on my rig and I did about 400K from what I see

4- stupid question but are there any badges or anything for member that do BOINC?
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance for any help
thumb.gif

The beast-
skylake 6700K @ 4.6ghz right now
Asus Maximus VIII formula
2 EVGA titan X 12gb hydrocoppers
G skill 64gb DDR4 @ 3000 mhz
4 samsung EVO 1TB in RAID0
XSPC cpu waterblock
XSPC dual bay res with D5 pump
Aquacomputer Aquaduct 720XT external radiatior with enheim 600 pump
Hailea HC-500A water chiller

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Welcome to the team and welcome to OCN.
:D

Quote:
1-I really just want to make sure I am doing it right and contributing to the OCN team, when I picked each project and it shows overclock.net as my team so I am assuming I did it right?
Assuming your BOINC username is randy, then it looks like you are all signed up and on the OCN team for Collatz, PrimeGrid, Asteroids, Einstein, SETI, and MilkyWay

Quote:
2- Are there any projects I should be focusing on for the team? I am going to have this thing running almost 24/7... the only thread I found about picking a project to focus on was from 2010ish and it said to focus on [email protected] and I tried that one but after about 30 hours I had received 0 "work" from them
We do concentrate on a few projects every month in our POTM. You can crunch those if they are interesting to you, or you can just crunch the projects that you like. March POTM

Quote:
3- is there any good software to go with boinc for monitoring your total work done? I just started it yesterday and didnt have it going for a while as I was working on my rig and I did about 400K from what I see
For monitoring/managing BOINC clients, locally or over a network, check out BOINC Tasks. For stats you can see up-to-date stats at Free-DC Stats or BOINC Stats. I personally like Free-DC stats. The stats on Free-DC update more frequently, and the Free-DC stats admin provides the stats data for our monthly BOINCers Gone Bonkers events.

Quote:
4- stupid question but are there any badges or anything for member that do BOINC?
tongue.gif
We have badges for participation in the BOINC Pentathlon, which is a once a year competition between many of the top BOINC teams. Link to last years Pentathlon thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1550034/6th-boinc-pentathlon-may-5th-19th-2015/0_50

There is also a BOINC postbit. You can follow the instructions in this thread for information on how to get your postbit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1417880/the-boinc-postbit-is-here/0_50

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank you for the quick reply!! yea I wasnt very creative with my name on BOINC lol! I will check out the Free-DC and start watching the POTM thread
smile.gif

EDIT- Free-DC is exactly what I was looking for, thank yo!! and I am signed up for 2 of the 3 POTM projects, cant seem to find distributedDataMining one on the list?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgeek12 View Post

Awesome, thank you for the quick reply!! yea I wasnt very creative with my name on BOINC lol! I will check out the Free-DC and start watching the POTM thread
smile.gif

EDIT- Free-DC is exactly what I was looking for, thank yo!! and I am signed up for 2 of the 3 POTM projects, cant seem to find distributedDataMining one on the list?
Welcome to the team! Not all the projects get listed when you go to add a project through the BOINCmanager. If you go to the project web page it will usually have a URL that you can paste into the boincmanager when you go to add the project.

dDM has instructions on this page: http://www.distributeddatamining.org/ddm_pc

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Sweet another Pentathlon, my CPU and RAM is better this year but my GPU is worse. Should do good on the CPU and RAM heavy projects.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome
smile.gif
I do have one more question actually, this computer is my everyday computer that I game on when I have time lol (new baby) is it ok to leave it running with the cpu set to 100% and a slight overclock on both the cpu (6700k @ 4.6) and the gpus (evga Titan x hydrocoppers with +50 core and + 250 memory) I do have a water chiller that I keep set to kick on when the coolant hits 82F, which keeps the CPU at 60C and both GPUs at 28-31C, I really don't want to shorten the life on everything by to much lol!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It should be fine. I think I can speak for most of us when I say we overclock and run 24/7. Temps are good and if it's just a mild overclock you should be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts