Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from a 5770 to a GTX 570 and am extremely disappointed. I have tried running World of Warcraft and Skyrim on High settings but both games are giving me 30 FPS in the more demanding areas, with tons of frame skipping when I rotate the camera. Believe it or not, my 5770 ran much cleaner. I am really baffled right now.

Here's a photo of what my CPU, RAM, GPU, and temperatures look like when running around in Orgrimmar on High settings with 30 framerate + choppiness:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7652/gtx570performance.png

Here's a photo of my settings in World of Warcraft (which aren't very high mind you) along with the disappointing framerate in the corner. Keep in mind I get frame skipping when rotating the camera which makes this a lot worse than just 30fps.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9827/wowframerate.jpg

Any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinnocent View Post

half of your pic is cut off....is your cpu overclocked?....what are your clock settings on gpu
I figured I was showing all that was important.

I am running stock on both, but once again both aren't even near hitting their limit.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
well your GPU usage is really low.

before we dive into the bottleneck zone, did you make sure you wiped ALL your AMD drivers off your HDD? use a program called Driver sweeper (do it in safe mode) and then install the latest Stable Nvidia Drivers (NOT BETA) and turn Vsync off if that's on

You should be seeing up to 3x the FPS you were getting with the 5770 across the board and there is no break in period for a GPU.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Also, what drivers are you using?

Skyrim is a beast and appears more sluggish than it actually is in most cases. Typically a vsync issue.

WoW is pretty badly optimized, I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
a cpu overclock will help performance alot...i don't see an aftermarket cpu cooler listed so you will be limited but will still be able to oc enough for a significant gain

turn up aa as far as possible and see if the gpu load increases

·
WaterCooler
4,854 Posts
I went from crossfired 5770's to a GTX 570 for a while. The performance increase with the GTX 570 was very noticable, and Skyrim played just fine in Ultra settings. Wish I still had that card
frown.gif
The only game where it felt like the 5770's were better was probably Deus Ex:HR.

I'd follow the tips psoted above and see if that doesn't help you, because the GTX 570 is a solid card and should definately be a good, noticable upgrade from a 5770.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
TESV Layer mod helps with FPS in Skyrim.

My FPS in Skyrim is pretty sweet and I'm only on a 5850. Are you updated to update 1.3 on Skyrim? It should have the 4GB mod. If not, download the 4GB mod, helps a TON.

If you already have all that then..it's definitely a driver problem.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yep, drivers.
thumb.gif

Wipe, reinstall and, after that, I strongly recommend you to reinstall the games as well regardless of the hassle: directx and physx instructions change radically if you swap an amd card for an nvidia one so you might have game crashes or poor performance cause the game installation is configured for a card you don't have anymore and it's not working well with the new one.
Any 570 will be about trice as fast as your old 5770 in all games (although you obviously won't see that in games that a 5770 could max
rolleyes.gif
, like deus Ex HR or that AMD rally game that I always forget the name and that's pretty good).
I don't think CPU bottleneck will be an issue in most games.
Anyways, good luck!

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
I would just format and reinstall windows but I'm picky about having fresh OS installs with new hardware. Eliminates issues like this one....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same issue. I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled everything on top of doing a Driver Sweep.

I installed the 285.62 drivers but my framerate is still the same. I am clueless on what to do next...

I'd reformat but I have an immense amount of stuff installed. I really don't want to go that route to just end up in the same spot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybutcher View Post

Load up MSI Afterburner and see what your clock speeds are set to. You may be experiencing the dreaded 405mhz stick.
Yes this is the next logical step make sure the card is performing clock speeds correct? is the PCI Express slot running @ x16 x8 x4 ?? (use GPUz or CPUz)

Try run a very common benchmark such as 3d mark Vantage on defaults and see what your GPU score is like compared to others if the above are OK. It should achieve around 22-23,000

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, after some testing I've noticed a few things. I tried playing Metro 2033 on High settings and it ran perfectly. I had smooth framerate and the game looked outstanding. World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic on the other hand have run like crap, with less than 30 FPS in populated areas.

What I noticed that's interesting is that in Metro 2033 my GPU usage goes up to 98%. In World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic my GPU usage is less than 18%.

Does anyone know why my GPU would be used so little in only a few games? I notice really bad texture pop-in within these two games.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Reinstall one of the games at least, before attempting a full system re-install or even checking hardware issues.
I'm telling you man, I went from a 5850 to 480gtx and got a lot of problems in almost all my installed titles. I could only fix it by reinstalling the games (reinstalling only directx also worked for some games).
wink.gif

Give it a try!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittster View Post

Yes this is the next logical step make sure the card is performing clock speeds correct? is the PCI Express slot running @ x16 x8 x4 ?? (use GPUz or CPUz)
Try run a very common benchmark such as 3d mark Vantage on defaults and see what your GPU score is like compared to others if the above are OK. It should achieve around 22-23,000
It's running at 732 core clock, 1464 shader clock, and 1900 memory clock. Appears fine to me in that regard.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBigBoss View Post

Okay, after some testing I've noticed a few things. I tried playing Metro 2033 on High settings and it ran perfectly. I had smooth framerate and the game looked outstanding. World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic on the other hand have run like crap, with less than 30 FPS in populated areas.
What I noticed that's interesting is that in Metro 2033 my GPU usage goes up to 98%. In World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic my GPU usage is less than 18%.
Does anyone know why my GPU would be used so little in only a few games? I notice really bad texture pop-in within these two games.
Try reinstalling either WoW or The Old Republic.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.