Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have an EVGA x58 mobo, which has dual 1GB LAN cards. I have bridged the two cards and I'm currently running my old box off one, with the other going to my router for internet. The internet on both boxes works fine (I use static IPs btw) but I can't get the port for uTorrent forwarded properly. uTorrent is running off the old box. I'm not sure how the forwarding and bridging works together, and I'm a little shaky on how bridging works in the first place, though by the way I had to assign a separate static IP to the bridge and another to my old box, its my understanding that both appear through the one cord as 2 different addresses, however, setting my router to forward the right port to one IP or the other results in the port still not being open. My router won't allow the same port to be forwarded to both IPs, citing that the rule has already been created. Can anyone shed any light on how I could get the forwarding to work properly on the bridged connection? If you need any other network config info to figure this out, just ask and I'll post it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Why would you go through the effort of bridging your cards when you can just run another CAT5 to the router to the second computer, I know the length is shorter with you running from the router>computer>computer, but you can order the length you need pretty cheap and evade this whole situation.

Also, I think your computer is specifying the IP address to the bridged port not the router, so the router doesn't recognize the ip being shown through the bridge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by heathmcabee
View Post

Why would you go through the effort of bridging your cards when you can just run another CAT5 to the router to the second computer, I know the length is shorter with you running from the router>computer>computer, but you can order the length you need pretty cheap and evade this whole situation.

Also, I think your computer is specifying the IP address to the bridged port not the router, so the router doesn't recognize the ip being shown through the bridge.

Because I only have one 100ft cable that runs from downstairs upstairs to my room, and its only temporary while I'm home on spring break. Though up at college it would be useful as well since we ran out of ports on out router there.

And yes, the computer is specifying the bridged port address, because I use statics, the router has DHCP turned off....

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
When you bridge a connection in Windows, the MAC address will change into something most likely like:
02:00:00:00:00:00

And the IP address will be whatever you assigned it, there will be only one IP address assigned.

Now, for port forwarding:

Make sure the Torrent box is set to a static IP aswell (you already said it was), then go into your router (which is?), look for something called NAT, Port Forwarding, Security, etc.
Put the Program Name as:
Torrenting

IP address:
The IP you assigned your torrenting box

Port Number:
The port number you specified in the torrenting program

Then click the box that enables the port forwarding, then click Apply.

That is as detailed as I can be without more information.

EDIT:
I may have understood this wrong, you are wanting to open connections on your New Computer or your torrenting box?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0 View Post
When you bridge a connection in Windows, the MAC address will change into something most likely like:
02:00:00:00:00:00

And the IP address will be whatever you assigned it, there will be only one IP address assigned.

Now, for port forwarding:

Make sure the Torrent box is set to a static IP aswell (you already said it was), then go into your router (which is?), look for something called NAT, Port Forwarding, Security, etc.
Put the Program Name as:
Torrenting

IP address:
The IP you assigned your torrenting box

Port Number:
The port number you specified in the torrenting program

Then click the box that enables the port forwarding, then click Apply.

That is as detailed as I can be without more information.

EDIT:
I may have understood this wrong, you are wanting to open connections on your New Computer or your torrenting box?
Yeah, the bridge has 192.168.0.135, the torrent box has 192.168.0.136. The router is a D-link DGL-4300. I had the forwarding rule set before I made this post (I was trying a few things) and it is as you described. I ran utorrent's port checker from the torrent box on the port and it says its not open. I tried www.canyouseeme.org and that returned connection refused.

To explain better, the new x58 box with dual LAN is the one with the bridge and is not used for torrenting. the old box is the torrent machine and is the one that needs the port to be forwarded for. On the new box, I also have windows firewall disabled, and I'm not running any other firewalls. Windows firewall is also disabled on the torrenting box and it has no other firewalls either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It still won't say open when a site like canyouseeme is used, but I had a friend port scan me, and apparently its open. utorrent goes from "no incoming connections, there might be a problem with your network" to "your network is working like it should". I'm guessing its just doesn't always have an incoming connection open or w/e.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Why dont you buy a 5 port switch and plug the line from the router into one port and the other 2 machines into 2 other ports, problem solved, and they only cost about $25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.