Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a budget rig for myself with the income tax rebate (yay for having a kid).....anyways I have read everything I can possibly find about OCing my AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Brisbane 3.1GHz CPU. Not much luck finding anything on it b/c everyone else seems to have bought the 3.0GHz model.

I can't find any documentation that will tell me the voltages that this CPU can handle and I don't wanna fry it yet.....I'll wait for July and have my wife buy me a new one for my b-day.

I have the Antec 300 case with an Antec 500 NeoPower 500W PSU, an Evga 730a Mobo with the above mentioned CPU with an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler crammed on top of it. 4 Gigs of G-skill ddr2 800 and all the other normal crap that goes into a budget pc.

I've never messed with voltages before but was able to get my rig up to a 3.4GHz stable....every time I try to go to 3.5 I BSOD during Vista boot.

I'm open for suggestions on how to OC this thing

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
have u tried increase the fsb, and droping your ram speed at 3.4ghz,drop ur ram speed to ddr2 400 then try increasing your fsb again. if that does not work use a diff multiplier

·
Registered
381 Posts
64 Bit operating system stress the processor more than 32 Bit. Probably the reason why I can't get my PhenomII over 3.9GHZ. BSOD is almost almost always a Voltage issue, but not necessarily CPU voltage. I'm not familiar with your board but have you tried upping the NB and HT voltages slightly?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any option for a FSB......if thats the multiplier of the CPU you are referring to the I have dropped it to 15 14.5 14 and 13.5 and still can't get over 3.5Ghz

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Sadly you've basically maxed out the overclocking potential of that CPU. the 6000 really wasn't a good overclocker and was already at its max when it was released.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The older AMD chips do not overclock well i have tried to oc this chip even with a zalman and no such luck unless you have the new 65nm chip istded of the 90nm but i have only sceen only miner incroments in overclocking headroom.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have the new 65nm one.....just tried upping the voltage again and OCing to 3.5GHz heard some clicking noises and BSOD.....guess I'll just throw this thing back to stock and wait for some more cash to buy a quad core

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hey Ooler, how's it going?.... Welcome to OCN!

What's the max vcore you've tried?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
1.45 is the max i would go on that chip. not really a good oc'er. try dropping the ram divider and loosening ur timings. bump ur nb voltage. and up ur fsb a little at a time til u bsod or no post. then back off a little and stress test it. hope that helps

·
Banned
3,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastertrixter
View Post

1.45 is the max i would go on that chip. not really a good oc'er. try dropping the ram divider and loosening ur timings. bump ur nb voltage. and up ur fsb a little at a time til u bsod or no post. then back off a little and stress test it. hope that helps

It's not the worse overclocker ever, it's actually pretty fun for suicide runs.

1.45 V max? Are you kidding? I've had mine at 1.525V

Well of course that was a suicide run, but for 24/7 clocks I say 1.475 - 1.5V is max, depending on your temps.

He should try adding raising RAM voltage by a notch, perhaps it will work.

Or, he can try overclocking with a program once he gets into Vista and tell if works.

·
Registered
455 Posts
well at 3.4ghz, unless u have crazy cooling or have a freezer for a room, thats gonna be the point where it will become unstable. The architecture of brisbane cores dont allow it to go past 3.9 i do believe. You might be lucky to have obtained a good chip, but i do say 3.4 would be the best u can do for a 100% stable oc. And for suicide runs, u can run way past 1.55Vcore. I would have tried to get my BE to around 3.6-3.7 if i had a better mobo and more voltage lol.

but yah, thats wut i think as brisbanes are really stable past the 3.2-3.3 mark unless u can keep the temps really low.

cheers,
S1L3Nt

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
rule of thumb for good pratice, with good cooling is 15% over stock voltage. so if stock was 1.35 your max voltage would be 1.55 v.
most of the amd chips, besides the phenoms max out around 3.4-3.6.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
3.4 GHz is a good OC for a Brisbane, but you have way more voltage room. 1.55v is a good limit to set for yourself, as long as you watch your temps.

Brisbanes may not OC well, but they're built like tanks!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T3hFurious1
What are your settings to get your 6k+ to 3.5, and is it stable? Been fiddling with mine and can't get it stable past 3.2ish.
Are you using a Windsor Or a Brisbane. The Brisbane's have smaller die cast and overclock better. While the Windsor can handle More Voltage and have Twice the L2 cache. I am Also under the impression that brisbanes like low temps better than voltage.

I set my HT at 1000 and my ram at 400, at set my mobo to Overclock Profile 10% I am at 3.41ghz stable right now. Any higher I have Trouble. I Have a Brisbane, in My sig rig vvvvvvvv

·
Registered
97 Posts
i can get mine to 3.3-4 stable as well, dont really want to push it much past that though as temps fly up quickly! also i dont push voltage to much past 1.5, best bet is to do what im going to buy a 965 phenom then you can have some fun!! 6000 brisbanes are good tho mines quite gd for gaming etc, tiger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts