Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to overclock my system (not my sig rig, another one). It has a X2 3800 Brisbane and I want it to at least match my 4200 at it's stock.

What I really need is just a start off point. I hear that the Brisbane is much more flexable at overclocking that a windsor.

Here is the info

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Just up the bus speed by 5mhz, save, restart, save, and repeat.

You might also want to drop the HT link to 3x.

And, you could up the voltage to 1.4 or 1.45 and be safe.

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really wasnt sure about the voltage to be truthful. I guess 1.40 is safe then?

EDIT:
So lets say the cores at 250x9 at 1.24v? Not enough power then?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep. Perfectly safe. My Brisbane [sig] does 278x11.5 at 1.4.

BTW: Don't think that's a 3800. They run at 2.0 Ghz. Says it's a BE-2300.

EDIT: At 250, I hit a wall where I had to raise the voltage or no startup. You'll likely need more than 1.2x volts to get stable where you want to. What's wrong, stock cooler?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playapplepie
View Post

I really wasnt sure about the voltage to be truthful. I guess 1.40 is safe then?

EDIT:
So lets say the cores at 250x9 at 1.24v? Not enough power then?

Most likely not, if you are running a stock cooler, I would say don't go past 1.35 unless you have very low ambient temps. (room temps)

You can push most AMD CPUs (65nm ones) to 1.5 Vcore even. And while for intel that would sound like a suicide run, the AMDs can take them 24/7.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I live in BRISBANE.... its running at a nice 32degress today with a chance of late showers... HAHAHAHAH sunny Queensland !

hope this can help with your brisbane Oc drama.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playapplepie
View Post

So I want to overclock my system (not my sig rig, another one). It has a X2 3800 Brisbane and I want it to at least match my 4200 at it's stock.

What I really need is just a start off point. I hear that the Brisbane is much more flexable at overclocking that a windsor.

Here is the info

that's a BE-2300 not an X2 3800.

but that's a good thing. the BE-2xxx series clocks to 3ghz very easily. when they came out the BE-2300 was stable at 3ghz even (but I think the voltage was a touch high) and my BE-2400 was 24h prime stable at 3.1ghz with 1.5v (and stayed very cool at 45c load)

for these chips I'd say keep your chip under 50c load and no more than 1.55v

but this is with good air cooling.

I know that the BE-2300 clocks VERY well with stock voltage, so just keep bumping up the FSB till you get a no boot situation (or you hit where you want to be) then start stability testing it

·
Registered
267 Posts
1.4v is definitely going to be safe and probably also 1.45v.

Anyways, first you should try to find your max htt:

-lower ram multi to ddr400, losen timings
-lower cpu multi [so the cpu freq always stays at or below stock]
-lower ht multi [so it always stays below stock]
+up the htt in small increments [but you can probably start at 240mhz]
+test for stability with orthosblend test priority 10 20 min
+if stable go back to upping htt, if unstable go to the next step
+write down max htt

Finding max ht:

-put ht multi to highest [5]
+up the htt in small increments
+test for stability with blend test priority 10 20 min
+if stable go back to upping htt, if unstable decrease htt by 10, go to next step
+write down max ht [your max ht will probably be something between 1300-1400]

Find max cpu:

-lower mem divider to ddr400
+Just find the max cpu freq by using a ht as high as possible, if nescessary, lower cpu multi. if you surpass your max stable ht, lower ht multi...
+test with orthos small fft priority 9 20 min
+When finally unstable with max v you want to use, go down a few mhz and start an 8h small fft p.9 test

Find max:

If you want to you can also find your mem, should not be too hard, just lower cpu multi, ht multi, put ram divider to ddr800.......... testing with large fft, and in the end if you think you're stable memtestx86....

By oc'ing in that way you should be able to get around 3ghz with that cpu if you use a vcore of 1.45-1.5

Also try to oc your sig rig more, I bet it can do more (if it's not a Windsor F2)

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Most brisbane core X2's I've seen will hit 3-3.2GHz pretty easy. My 4600 hit 3GHz on 1.4v, and I ran it like that for almost a year... so I'd say that you're good to go. Just keep an eye on those temps, and try not to let them go over 55c under load.

Good luck

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moins
View Post

1.4v is definitely going to be safe and probably also 1.45v.

Anyways, first you should try to find your max htt:

-lower ht multi [so it always stays below stock]
+up the htt in small increments [but you can probably start at 240mhz]
+test for stability with orthosblend test priority 10 20 min
+if stable go back to upping htt, if unstable go to the next step
+write down max htt

Finding max ht:

-put ht multi to highest [5]
+up the htt in small increments
+test for stability with blend test priority 10 20 min
+if stable go back to upping htt, if unstable decrease htt by 10, go to next step
+write down max ht [your max ht will probably be something between 1300-1400]

Find max cpu:

-lower mem divider to ddr400
+Just find the max cpu freq by using a ht as high as possible, if nescessary, lower cpu multi. if you surpass your max stable ht, lower ht multi...
+test with orthos small fft priority 9 20 min
+When finally unstable with max v you want to use, go down a few mhz and start an 8h small fft p.9 test

Find max:

If you want to you can also find your mem, should not be too hard, just lower cpu multi, ht multi, put ram divider to ddr800.......... testing with large fft, and in the end if you think you're stable memtestx86....

By oc'ing in that way you should be able to get around 3ghz with that cpu if you use a vcore of 1.45-1.5

Also try to oc your sig rig more, I bet it can do more (if it's not a Windsor F2)

Nice. Thanks a bunch. +rep for you big time.

Btw when you meant Windows F2 what did you mean? The only thing in Cpu-z that has F2 is the revision. It's BH-F2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts