Overclock.net banner

8101 - 8120 of 8122 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Just 2 weeks ago i upgraded my 6800k system to a amd 3900x and love it so much faster for me in everything even got a nice boost in games my 6800k was a crap clocker only 4.2ghz.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here's an odd one. I just picked up a 6850x and it runs great stock. I clocked in adaptive with a max turbo vcore of the following:
x40 @ 1.248
x41 @ 1.28 and
x42 @ 1.35
(Yeah, these voltages are about 1 multiplier higher than they need to be, just roughed them in to verify functionality/stability).

Those all run fine and I can run prime95/cinebench/etc with temps topping out at 75C on water.

The problem is that the system hangs often when it drops back down to idle.
Idle is x12 @ .833 to .946

Are there any specific voltages I should look at monitoring other than vcore for the transition back down to idle?
I tried adding in an offset of 0.02 to push idle voltage up a bit, but that hasn't helped...not sure if I need more non-turbo voltage or not...

I should note, it runs fine on full auto on x35, x38, and x40 multipliers for all core. Auto vcore at x40 is 1.1 something. I know we aren't fans of auto vcore due to asus boards frying things, which is why I want to get adaptive working correctly.
I need to try x41 and x42 on full auto, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Board is an Asus x99 Deluxe on the latest 4901 bios.
I previously had my 5930k in here running stable at 4.5GHz the last 5 years no issue (1.28v adaptive).

Thanks,

-- Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Heh, apparently I left prime95 running all night. Came down and the CPU was at 65C, flatlined... Guess it's at least long-term stable at x40 and auto voltages.

Gonna try to figure out why adaptive isn't working... I already nuked the mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file, so that shouldn't be messing with anything.

·
Wandering & Wondering
2,500 Posts
The mcupdate file hasn't affected my OC for several updates now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
May have to adjust LLC and voltages a bit so you hit your desired load but idle is a bit higher.
I tried LLC 3-7 with no changes.

I set the adaptive offset as high as 0.1 with no change either...

Not sure what other things to tweak.

Thanks,

Dave

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Realized I needed to install all the intel server chipset drivers to properly get every part of the 6950x recognized in windows 10. Will have to re-visit my previous overclocking attempts now that windows knows what it is.

The only driver/device that isn't installed is the turbo boost max 3.0 thing. Not sure I want to install that, as I don't plan on using a dedicated app to lock apps to cores/etc.

Before:

After:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-- Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nope, this thing is still crashing with all bios defaults/etc... it idles better, but crashes under load after a few minutes.

Guess the chip is fubar.

·
2,512 Posts
Have you tried running this after doing a full CMOS reset (not just BIOS defaults) and on a fresh install of windows?

Don't mess about with adaptive below 40x multiplier, the stock voltage tables scale up to 40x, adaptive is actually worse up to 40x. Use a multiplier of 40x with "Offset Voltage" set to offset +0.001V, make sure XMP is disabled, DDR4 is set to 2133 or 2400MHz. Set VCCIN to 1.90V, and LLC to Level 5 out of 9.

Do NOT overclock / over-volt the CPU Cache - this breaks Broadwell-E chips.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I reset the CMOS a few times due to instabilities. I did not reinstall windows. I was having some issues even on my 5930k, but this seems to be resolved now that I updated from Windows 10 2004 to 20H2. 2004 must have been pretty buggy, as even my software audio devices were having issues on that update, and PUBG wouldn't run longer than 15 mins w/o a hard lock-up/reset of the system.

That's all resolved now, and I have a different 6950x coming in two weeks to re-test again.

-- Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
So I returned the 6950x I had and grabbed another off ebay that shipped from Hong Kong. Took 4 days to arrive via DHL, amazingly.

So far everything is super stable, no issues at idle/etc.

Only oddness is that when I swapped my 5930k out with default bios settings and dropped the 6950x in, I see CPU-Z has the multiplier set at 40x and this chip is running at 4GHz under peak workload.

I'm not sure if my bios somehow remembers settings per CPU that is installed, but I need to go in and see if I have any multipliers still set in there. It should have all been auto...

·
2,512 Posts
If everything else but the multi is set to Auto then the board will use excessive voltages on the chip, best to do a CMOS reset before continuing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If everything else but the multi is set to Auto then the board will use excessive voltages on the chip, best to do a CMOS reset before continuing.
I've heard that, and it's why I went full manual for my 24x7 4.5GHz 5930k overclock, but while rough-testing the previous chip, I never saw any voltages out of spec in hwinfo when overclocking.

I've heard nightmare stories of vcore going to 1.5v for folks, but I've never seen that on this asus x99 deluxe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aah, found it.

CPU Core Ratio was set to Sync All Cores, but with all the core speeds on auto.

Setting it back to Auto removes the core speeds options and brings the max multiplier under load to x34 instead of x40.

Interesting that it chose x40 as the max on auto. It even picked a proper vcore of 1.24, which is just enough for x41 based on other results I've graphed.

Gonna try x41 and x42 this weekend and see how that goes.

Thanks,

-- Dave

·
2,512 Posts
6950X Turbo Boost algorithm scales up to 40x, use offset Vcore when tuning up to and including 40x multi, you can use offset or adaptive at 41x or higher.

Also turn off "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement", it will conflict with Windows default CPU scheduler for little performance gain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have any of you had issues with USB 3.0 dropping out on asus x99 boards when clocking these chips up? This was something that happened with my 5930k, and now with this 6950x. I wonder if the onboard USB ports aren't getting enough power, or are getting too much when overclocked, not sure how to troubleshoot.

I was running at 42x and the chip/benchmarks were perfectly fine, but then my keyboard stopped responding and I found both USB 3 ports non responsive on the back of the board. I swapped to usb 2 ports and things are fine.

This has happened on two different asus x99 deluxe boards. I worked around it previously by disabling xHCI in the bios and forcing them to be usb2.0 ports instead.

Thanks,

-- Dave

·
2,512 Posts
Yes, I haven't had this occur on the front panel USB 3.0 ports yet though, give those a try. I still haven't figured out what causes it, but hazarding a guess it may possibly be PCH voltage. Interestingly enough, it only seems to affect my mouse, not any other USB 3.0 devices. It isn't worth disabling xHCI as USB 3.0 is much faster, try plugging the devices into a USB 2.0 port instead. Here's a chart showing roughly how much Vcore you need per multiplier for Handbrake AVX2 encoding stability:

BW-E Voltage Scale.png

• Rep+
Reactions: acquacow

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, I haven't had this occur on the front panel USB 3.0 ports yet though, give those a try. I still haven't figured out what causes it, but hazarding a guess it may possibly be PCH voltage. Interestingly enough, it only seems to affect my mouse, not any other USB 3.0 devices. It isn't worth disabling xHCI as USB 3.0 is much faster, try plugging the devices into a USB 2.0 port instead. Here's a chart showing roughly how much Vcore you need per multiplier for Handbrake AVX2 encoding stability:

View attachment 2472999
Heh, I actually made a similar graph based on some known good configurations I found. I didn't bother to perfectly fit the line though.

8101 - 8120 of 8122 Posts