Overclock.net banner
8121 - 8139 of 8139 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
So this latest used 6950x was stable and great since I got it, but it died on the 15th while just sitting idle overnight. I was on default bios settings since I was playing with memory timings a few days prior and failing at it. My eventlog showed a hardware error reported at 350am and when I woke up and got down to my PC at 9am to work, it was powered off and wouldn't post. Bios Q-Code was reporting "00" and the machine would shut off after failing to post.

I reseated the CPU a few times, but no luck.

I swapped back to my old 5930k, that's working fine and am seeing if the seller has any other chips.

Not sure why it's so hard to get a good 6950x :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure why it's so hard to get a good 6950x
I got my 6950X from AliExpress couple of months ago, from a recommended seller, and the thing has been rock stable since. I don't know if it is a top overclocker, but I keep it at 4.3GHz and 1.25v on air -- it could probably run at even lower Vcc, but haven't spend time for it yet. The mobo is ASRock X99 Extreme 6/3.1

·
Zostacular
663 Posts
Does not look like windows 11 will support our processors.
That doesn't mean it won't install on our hardware. Feature-set speaking, broadwell-e has everything necessary. The question is if your motherboard has a TPM header so you can stick a TPM2.0 module on it.

Just to further drive the point home, the i7 6950x is NOT supported by the latest version of Windows 10 (21H1) but it still installs and runs just fine:

·
Registered
184 Posts
That doesn't mean it won't install on our hardware. Feature-set speaking, broadwell-e has everything necessary. The question is if your motherboard has a TPM header so you can stick a TPM2.0 module on it.

Just to further drive the point home, the i7 6950x is NOT supported by the latest version of Windows 10 (21H1) but it still installs and runs just fine:
It does have a TPM header. But the TMP module prices have sky rocketed. My motherboard takes a 20 pin module. I hear a cpu with PTT is compatible with W11.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Realized I needed to install all the intel server chipset drivers to properly get every part of the 6950x recognized in windows 10. Will have to re-visit my previous overclocking attempts now that windows knows what it is.
@acquacow For the life of me, I cannot find a working set of chip drivers, the official ones refuse to install on Win10pro 21H1. My device manager looks exactly like your before image. Any tip/links to working drivers?

Thanks in advance :)(y)

·
Zostacular
663 Posts
@acquacow For the life of me, I cannot find a working set of chip drivers, the official ones refuse to install on Win10pro 21H1. My device manager looks exactly like your before image. Any tip/links to working drivers?

Thanks in advance :)(y)
Chipset is Intel C610 series.
You'll need to also install xeon e7 v4 cpu drivers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So this latest used 6950x was stable and great since I got it, but it died on the 15th while just sitting idle overnight. I was on default bios settings since I was playing with memory timings a few days prior and failing at it. My eventlog showed a hardware error reported at 350am and when I woke up and got down to my PC at 9am to work, it was powered off and wouldn't post. Bios Q-Code was reporting "00" and the machine would shut off after failing to post.

I reseated the CPU a few times, but no luck.

I swapped back to my old 5930k, that's working fine and am seeing if the seller has any other chips.

Not sure why it's so hard to get a good 6950x :(
My 5930 just died today. I swapped it with a 6950x. I hope it doesn't do the same thing. Did you ever figure out what killed the CPU?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Nope, and the ebay vendor ghosted me, and I haven't purchased another. I have been looking for other good vendors to purchase from see-ic is not one of them.
They worked fine for me, got 2 from them last year and had no issues. Both are better than my old "retail box" 6950x so I'm pretty happy. If you want my old one shoot me an offer in pm I can send you pictures.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,499 Posts
If you can deal with only 8 cores, e5 1660 V3 or 1680 Xeon chips are the bee's knees.

Mine does 4ghz at a measly 1.09 volts. Hammered it with all sorts of stress tests, didnt give up one bit. Even while running 3500mhz cache and Samsung ECC ram at 2666 CL17 (default CL19)

Been running my 1660 at 4.5ghz and 1.22 volts nowadays. SLowly cranking it up. At 1.22v and a Noctua D15 dual fan, it does not hit 80*C

Been playing some modded games recently, and while X99 has always provided awesome bandwidth (at 3500mhz cache and my Samsung ECC ram sitting at 2666 CL17 overclocked), I get nearly 64gb/s memory bandwidth. Write performance is just over 54gb/s and around 64ns latency. Not bad at all for very loose ram

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope, and the ebay vendor ghosted me, and I haven't purchased another. I have been looking for other good vendors to purchase from see-ic is not one of them.
Same thing. I got mine from eBay. It was a while ago though so I can't really claim any warranty or anything like that. I did buy a 6950x from a vendor, brand new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 6950X from AliExpress couple of months ago, from a recommended seller, and the thing has been rock stable since. I don't know if it is a top overclocker, but I keep it at 4.3GHz and 1.25v on air -- it could probably run at even lower Vcc, but haven't spend time for it yet. The mobo is ASRock X99 Extreme 6/3.1
Super good chip if your getting those clocks at that voltage, I still to this day use the i7-6950x CPU and it has been an outstanding CPU paired with the Gigabyte Designare EX board.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So I'm back on another 6950x and things have been good for a few months on stock speeds. Decided to pump that up a bit over the last two days.

Started with:
x42 @1.28v with x35 cache
DRAM at stock 16-16-16-39s speeds @2400
~12800 on cinebench R23 @85C max

I did have a USB 3.0 drop-out so rather than increasing voltages/temps more, I'm down to:
x41 @1.248v with x37 cache
DRAM now at 15-15-15-35 @2666
Still ~12800 cinebench R23 at 80C max

Will see how the week progresses. I can probably push the DRAM to 3000 at these speeds based on other results I've seen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Went through last night with HWINFO and was re-verifying all of my voltages and noticed cache/uncore was at 1.4V, so I went back into bios and dropped cache to x35 and manually set the voltage to 1.30

not sure if I can do x37 at 1.30, I had tried to manually dial that in previously earlier in my overclock and the system didn't post, so changed multiplier and voltage this time. I can try to notch it up again later.

8121 - 8139 of 8139 Posts