Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

i have a XFX hd radeon 6770 1gb GPU.

yesterday i was trying to figure out a way to place an fan around the gpu so that i cools the vrms.

but i was doing that while the pc was on
doh.gif

well,i was careless enough the let the edge of the fan i was about the place touch the gpy heatsink fan blades and 2 blades fell off.

i removed the fan and used those super glue adhesives.i did it very carefully and to the best of my abilities.

now the fan doesnt seem unbalanced i.e. i dont see a 'wobble' while the fan is running.

also running the gpu on full load(kombustor and gpu folding) and fan at 70%-80%,i am not feeling any extra vibration form the card,there is little vibration,but it was there even b4 i damaged the fan.

so now is it safe to let the card run this way?

XFX wont just give me only the fan.i will have to buy the whole HS+fan and i will have to pay for it.

should i simply disconnect this broken fan and stick a new fan on the HS?

after fixing the fan blades,my temperatures ar exactly the same.

61C during the day while folding.48C at idle.

57C at night while folding,43C at idle.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
as long as you're sure it won't come off while it is on, then i don't see anything wrong with it.

• Rep+
Reactions: breadcrums

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Hmm, if you are running the card for very long hours, I wouldnt just glue it tgt. the turbulence of the air though it would not cause any problems now, will eventually cause the glue to weaken and cause the fan to snap and probably send the blades flying into the GPU chipset area, creating an even bigger problem.

I guess you can see how the fan works and probably just attach another fan in, considering the 6770 isnt that hot anyway. If not, just replace the entire thing.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If i was you i would replace the heatsink if i loved my card. If not, i would run it to death then buy a new card.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agenesis View Post

It'll fall apart sooner or later taking other blades with it. Just buy a replacement heatshink now and get it over with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi View Post

as long as you're sure it won't come off while it is on, then i don't see anything wrong with it.
Well,the adhesive is something like super glue.once stuck,its pretty hard to take it apart.even with a solvent.so i am pretty sure it wont come off soon.

i will search for a replacement fan once i get the time.i think i saw an Accelero S1 Rev 2 here on OCN market place.

thanks for the input :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe123 View Post

Hmm, if you are running the card for very long hours, I wouldnt just glue it tgt. the turbulence of the air though it would not cause any problems now, will eventually cause the glue to weaken and cause the fan to snap and probably send the blades flying into the GPU chipset area, creating an even bigger problem.

I guess you can see how the fan works and probably just attach another fan in, considering the 6770 isnt that hot anyway. If not, just replace the entire thing.
thats what i think i should do.i believe the glue i used will hold it for atleast a few weeks.

i know this cause i have used is on a 120 mm case fan blade which i broke(yes,i am that careless!!damn me!) and its been running fine since the past few weeks.taking into account the amount of heat and rpm a gpu fan moves,i give it a couple of weeks.by then i will decide on an alternate cooling medium and install it :)

thanks for the input :)

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
It will come apart sooner than later that been said I don't think it would do much damage when the blades fly off the second time. If I where you I run it with the glue repair while you look for a more permanent fix like a new fan or cooler.

Edit: seems I'm a bit late with my post. Oh well
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by invena View Post

If i was you i would replace the heatsink if i loved my card. If not, i would run it to death then buy a new card.
a broken blade is not the ultimate damage that can happen and in no way going to result in a dead gpu!replacing a fan will work too.fixing a high cfm fan may even work better than the stock fan!

any 1 of these.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2418/fan-10/Vantec_Tornado_80mm_High_Output.html?tl=g36c15s699

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11668/fan-754/Evercool_Long_Life_80mm_x_38mm_High_Speed_Fan_-_671_CFM_EC8038H12BA.html?tl=g36c15s699

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6453/fan-397/Cooljag_Everflow_80mm_x_38mm_Fan_-_5666_CFM_F128038BU.html?tl=g36c15s699

PS-i had done a similar thing for my cpu stock heatsink during the foldathon.dropped my temps by 5C!simply stick a bigger,better fan over the stock fan(unplug the stock fan first tough :p )

and I LOVE MY CARD!
wubsmiley.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

It will come apart sooner than later that been said I don't think it would do much damage when the blades fly off the second time. If I where you I run it with the glue repair while you look for a more permanent fix like a new fan or cooler.

Edit: seems I'm a bit late with my post. Oh well
biggrin.gif
nvm man.thanks for the input :)

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
I broke many fan blades and to fix it I used Epoxy instead of Super Glue. Epoxy will give me enough time to adjust by rotating the fan to find its balance. Otherwise, out of balance will vibrate and will not last very long until you need to find a replacement or the whole HSF.

Alternately, try to talk to XFX nicely, they might send you one.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
difficuilt fix, you must be acurate or your fan will be un-balanced which could lead to more probles... replace what you can now is the best option
thumb.gif

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

I broke many fan blades and to fix it I used Epoxy instead of Super Glue. Epoxy will give me enough time to adjust by rotating the fan to find its balance. Otherwise, out of balance will vibrate and will not last very long until you need to find a replacement or the whole HSF.

Alternately, try to talk to XFX nicely, they might send you one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

difficuilt fix, you must be acurate or your fan will be un-balanced which could lead to more probles... replace what you can now is the best option
thumb.gif
i first used very little super glue so that if i mess up,i can correct it.once in position,kept the blade firmly in place and added more glue :)

wrote a nice email to xfx.

will have to ask the mods if i can create a 'wanted' thread in the ocn marketplace.dont have 35reps yet :(

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadcrums View Post

i first used very little super glue so that if i mess up,i can correct it.once in position,kept the blade firmly in place and added more glue
smile.gif

wrote a nice email to xfx.
will have to ask the mods if i can create a 'wanted' thread in the ocn marketplace.dont have 35reps yet
frown.gif
i hope xfx will help you out as perfectly balancing a fan is no an easy task! doesnt mean you cant cant do it
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Help more people, you will get there in one day.

Check this section and help where you can
thumb.gif

http://www.overclock.net/forum/newposts/filter/unanswered

But don't expect that all you help will Rep you. Some of them have the courtesy to do so to appreciate your help and some think it's provided from tax payer's money
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If you want to be totally safe and don't mind ghettoing it a bit, just glue another fan or something.

After disconnecting the gpu fan ofc.

• Rep+

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

i hope xfx will help you out as perfectly balancing a fan is no an easy task! doesnt mean you cant cant do it
smile.gif
i have mad skills bro
biggrin.gif

Quote:

thumb.gif

i do that almost every time i am on ocn :D

not many threads i can help,but i do what i can :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepejovi View Post

If you want to be totally safe and don't mind ghettoing it a bit, just glue another fan or something.

After disconnecting the gpu fan ofc.
i wrote in one of my earlier posts that i was gona do that if the superglued blades come off b4 i get a new fan/HS.

thanks man :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
i would use this as an excuse to replace the fan with a crazy CFM delta fan.
tongue.gif

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadcrums View Post

Quote:

thumb.gif

i do that almost every time i am on ocn :D

not many threads i can help,but i do what i can :)
Yeah, I have seen you around helping people. Don't expect everyone that you help will Rep you. Some have the courtesy to say thank you or simply Rep you for the help you have given them. Most senior and old members will have that courtesy.

And some old and new members think the help you give them is provided from Tax Payer's money
tongue.gif
and sometime they make you feel bad for helping them
tongue.gif

Don't be dissapointed, they are all parts of the diversified community
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Z0R View Post

i would use this as an excuse to replace the fan with a crazy CFM delta fan.
tongue.gif
thumb.gif
if the price is right ;)

Quote:

Yeah, I have seen you around helping people. Don't expect everyone that you help will Rep you. Some have the courtesy to say thank you or simply Rep you for the help you have given them. Most senior and old members will have that courtesy.

And some old and new members think the help you give them is provided from Tax Payer's money
tongue.gif
and sometime they make you feel bad for helping them
tongue.gif

Don't be dissapointed, they are all parts of the diversified community
biggrin.gif
yeah man,u win some n u loose some ;)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
found a used Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 in the marketplace.

hopefully things go well :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i never learn :|

placed another fan parallel to the original fan.turns out it increased the temperatures as it was simply recirculating air in the pci slots area.

placed the fan like this.

DSC03980.JPG

as it increased the temps,removed it.again without switching off the computer.and again broke the previously fixed blades.and another one this time!!

total 3.

The following for me is a way to vent out my frustration and talk about how i went about fixing the results of my carelessness.

PS-Do this only if buying a new fan seems difficult.as in my case fans for graphic card HS arent easily available.If u brake,damage or hurt your PC or yourself,its cause you were clumsy or plain unlucky.i take no responsibility.

For anyone who wants to fix broken fanblades can follow this too.if you come across a better method.PLEASE do let me know.i dont think this was the last fan i have broken!

here is how:

so removed the card.got the superglue.took a deep breath.and got back to work.

here are photos of the fixed blades.

took me time to set it up properly i.e. the minimum vibrations possible and alignment to the best of my abilities.

to check this i fixed the fan base on my table and kept two vertical boards at 90 degrees just touching the unbroken/correct blades(the axis of the 'just touching' blades making a 90degree angle too.)the horizontal axis of the boards and the touching fan blades will make a square.i dont have photos of it,but will upload a sketch if any 1 didnt get it.

apply very little superglue,so that it dries quickly and u can test the alignment.if its off balance,u can gently remove it with a drop of solvent.rubbing alcohol works fine(only for very little superglue).

once you have found out the proper alignment,add a few drops of super glue over the joint of the fixed blades.on both sides.dont move anything until it is completely dry.

test for alignment again.

I went through all this cause a new fan wasnt available and buying and ordering a new HSF will take time.

final result photos.

DSC03984.JPG

DSC03990.JPG

DSC03988.JPG

Let me say it again.do this only if replacing the broken fan is not possible and u HAVE to fix the fan for your pc to work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts