Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I just bought a ASUS P5E64/WS/EVOLUTION LGA775 mobo for 20usd because its broken.

The problem is that the guy i bought it off was making some extreme oc on it, and must somehow have burned something. but after the oc he used it normally for around one year, and now it suddently stopped working correctly. its not all dead, because about 1 out of 5 times it starts and then it works like it should, but the rest op the time nothing happens.

Any idea what it could be, and if its anything that can be fixed? because it would be a major upgrade from my old ASUS board.

-Ridick2602

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Not sure what would cause it but can you rma the board. Asus is good about rmas as they don't need an invoice or anything just the motherboard as they go by the serial number for warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardly
View Post

Not sure what would cause it but can you rma the board. Asus is good about rmas as they don't need an invoice or anything just the motherboard as they go by the serial number for warranty.

Well i dont know, because i dont really know how old the board is, and if its over 2 years (and i think it is) then i cant get anything anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridick2602
View Post

Well i dont know, because i dont really know how old the board is, and if its over 2 years (and i think it is) then i cant get anything anyway.

1. See if it's still under warranty: http://livesupport.asus.com/serialnumbers.html

I don't think solid-caps bulge when they go bad, but I'd check all the capacitors b4 doing anything aswell.

2. If it's not still in warranty I'd take the heatpipe assemblies and any mounted heatsinks off the board, clean the contact surfaces(may have to use acetone(nail polish remover) to dissolve the stock TIM), re-apply a non-conductive TIM(Artic Silver Ceramique, or any generic silicone paste that came w/ a cooler would be my recommendation, fancy isn't needed), remount, and see if that helps. If the snap-pins wear-out, bend, or break you might be able to go to your local hardware store and find some screws and nuts small enough, but you have to make sure you use a rubber washer or something to keep the underside from coming in contact w/ the metal nut. Or, just be really careful when taking those snap-pins out.

3. If that doesn't help it any either I'd strip the board of all cooling devices again, take out the CMOS batt. and bake it like you'd bake a graphics card. It's possible in the extreme OCing something overheated and melted a solder-point or few. The baking will reflow the solder on the BGA chips and such.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat
View Post

1. See if it's still under warranty: http://livesupport.asus.com/serialnumbers.html

I don't think solid-caps bulge when they go bad, but I'd check all the capacitors b4 doing anything aswell.

2. If it's not still in warranty I'd take the heatpipe assemblies and any mounted heatsinks off the board, clean the contact surfaces(may have to use acetone(nail polish remover) to dissolve the stock TIM), re-apply a non-conductive TIM(Artic Silver Ceramique, or any generic silicone paste that came w/ a cooler would be my recommendation, fancy isn't needed), remount, and see if that helps. If the snap-pins wear-out, bend, or break you might be able to go to your local hardware store and find some screws and nuts small enough, but you have to make sure you use a rubber washer or something to keep the underside from coming in contact w/ the metal nut. Or, just be really careful when taking those snap-pins out.

3. If that doesn't help it any either I'd strip the board of all cooling devices again, take out the CMOS batt. and bake it like you'd bake a graphics card. It's possible in the extreme OCing something overheated and melted a solder-point or few. The baking will reflow the solder on the BGA chips and such.

hmm, but if it was any of this, would'nt the card be totally dead then? because this one works some times?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts