Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of Infinity 3-way bookshelf speakers from my school.

The foam surrounds on the midrange and bass drivers have completely rotted away, and the edges of the speaker cones are mouldy and crusty.

The bass drivers are probably blown because when I push them in, they sound scratchy and make this grinding noise.

Worth saving?

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
I would look at how much it would cost to save them; I've got some old Inifinities from the 80's and I love them. I recently replaced the cones on them to give them a new sheen and life.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If the enclosures are still in good shape they may make a decent home for new drivers. Obviously replacing the surrounds is an option as well, but the woofer it sounds will need to be replaced all together.

Parts express is your friend

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The midranges probably need replacement too.

The dustcaps are pretty much bashed in so much that even the tape trick doesn't work.

Or my tape is just gay.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
The midranges probably need replacement too.

The dustcaps are pretty much bashed in so much that even the tape trick doesn't work.

Or my tape is just gay.
Do you have any shops you can take them to, to just get an estimate on costs for replacements parts?

Look how much it is; versus how much a new speaker setup would be.

Infinity made some great speakers, but obvious if it's going to cost you $500 each Box, then it's not worth it.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The enclosures are so-so.
All 4 corners on both speakers have apparently met a wall at some period in time.

@Tator: I'm not sure what the model of those are. Picked them up from school but because I'm 17 and car-less, I left them in a filing cabinet. The AV guy there told me he'd keep 'em there for me till I take them.

I'll only be going back there (I work part time there as a technician) next week. Only then can I get some pics and a model, then get a quotation from a local speaker store.

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
I had 4 of their car interior speakers and 4 subwoofers that were Infinity and all the surrounds seperated from the cones. Sounded great when they worked, but I'll never give Infinity the time of day again.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KOBALT View Post
I had 4 of their car interior speakers and 4 subwoofers that were Infinity and all the surrounds seperated from the cones. Sounded great when they worked, but I'll never give Infinity the time of day again.
This is old school home or pro audio. The quality that Infinity built their name on unfortunately doesn't at all translate to their newer products. Especially car audio.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

@Tator: I'm not sure what the model of those are. Picked them up from school but because I'm 17 and car-less, I left them in a filing cabinet. The AV guy there told me he'd keep 'em there for me till I take them.

I'll only be going back there (I work part time there as a technician) next week. Only then can I get some pics and a model, then get a quotation from a local speaker store.
I'd say report back when you've solid info; that'll make it easier to judge.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A'ight. Will do.

But does the fact that the speaker cabinets have received damage make it less worthy to use?

I don't plan on selling these. I'll want to keep these for my own use.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Since the speakers and drivers are shot, have a good look at the cabinet. If the cabinet is solid and not some entry level shoe box, keep em. One good thing about Infinity was the crossovers they put in their speakers. Then start looking for some decent drivers and rebuild them. You can always get some laminate and grill cloth to make them look new too.
Chances are though, if you cannot find a plate or label with a model number on them, they are probably some entry level speakers that came with an old turntable or something, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
Quote:

A'ight. Will do.

But does the fact that the speaker cabinets have received damage make it less worthy to use?

I don't plan on selling these. I'll want to keep these for my own use.
Well it depends on how much damage the cab's have taken.

If they're cracked, broken, ect; then it's not worth it. But if it's only external cosmetic damage (like rounded off corners, and a few nicks here and there) then I would stick with them.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, no cracks.
And I believe it uses binding posts and a metal model panel.

It's been walled, taken lots of abuse but its rock solid.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
get some new surrounds from PartsExpress and fix them!

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We do have a local speaker repair store in the PC parts mall.

But what they do is rip good parts out of other peoples' broken speakers and then put it in yours.

Well, better than nothing, but it sure costs more than like, 5 bucks a driver.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts