Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i was in my case today and being a bit heavy handed i broke the connector (im sure you've heard this a million times...) anyway

i went in the tool shed and got out my pair of side cutters and some electrical tape..yeah.

ive kinda ended up in the situation where i need a new pcb (is that what you call it).. does anybody know where i could get one from? or even someone or somewhere that would fix it.. theres some important data on there..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubernoobie
View Post

buy a new drive, transfer the platter to the new drive

Thats funny.

Also, I had heard from my good friend that PCB replacements are near impossible for a HDD since it requires it was made on the same week at the same place same year but thats just what I heard.

·
Bigger is Always Better
1,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectrixPC View Post
hi guys, i was in my case today and being a bit heavy handed i broke the connector (im sure you've heard this a million times...) anyway

i went in the tool shed and got out my pair of side cutters and some electrical tape..yeah.

ive kinda ended up in the situation where i need a new pcb (is that what you call it).. does anybody know where i could get one from? or even someone or somewhere that would fix it.. theres some important data on there..
How bad is it broken? Can you post a pic? Also, I wouldn't try swapping the platter with another drive. Those are assembled in clean rooms for a reason, or was Ubernoobie joking?

A better idea is to get another drive and swap the pcb from that one to yours. That might work. Good Luck!

edit:

For the $60-70 that it would cost, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As long as its the same model and firmware you should be fine transferring the PCB. I'd give it a go, what can it hurt?

BTW as mentioned just above me do NOT remove or handle the platter. He is right - any dust, oil, grime, etc will ruin it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No. Buy a new spinpoint F3 and try switching PCBs. I believe the PCB includes the connectors, meaning thats what you'd wanna transfer. Just dont open the HD enclosure itself.

On an added note: I've met someone in the past that does this for people with older drives with bad PCB's. He just switches the PCB (Printed Circuit Board, btw...), pulls the data and gives it to them on some other media. The idea of a manufacturer changing things in their design every week, let alone every quarter, is pretty far fetched - and in my opinion very unlikely. There are surely different revisions and different firmware, but the actual hardware it interfaces with will remain the same. If anything it'd probably perform better, but my bet is that it will surely interface given that you buy the same model.

Manufacturers that make hardware like this follow specific guidelines to be CE (Copy Exact) meaning that the first and the 1000th part on a manufacturing run will be EXACTLY the same. Again, software firmware updates aren't necessarily considered, but it is the hardware which remains the same.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i got my new hard drive, i swapped the pcb over and it wont even load to bios
do i need different firmware?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by bios i mean loading to the very first screen you get when it starts up, or it does it VERY slowly, the second i remove the drive it becomes normal speed, if i leave the drive in to do it slowly it gets to the "insert boot media" screen...

i really dont want to have to wipe the drive..

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
Have you changed boot device priority to the drive you have the operating system on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts