Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble installing my printer via USB Cable: Brother MFC-J451ODW

I cannot even use the Brother Firmware Update Tool, because it says it does not recognize a device.

I am installing the software properly, and still no luck:

I cannot get my computer to recognize my printer, because when it comes to the installation screen it asks me to plug in my printer and then click next but the "Next" button never appears.

The worst part is, the printer use to work wireless but now that my new motherboard has no bluetooth option I have no choice but to get this to work with a USB cable.

*I have tried different USB ports, and I will try a different USB cable as well*

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wonder if I should try attaching the computer to another computer and seeing if I can do a firmware update...hmm.

·
InstantAli3n
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xquisit View Post

I wonder if I should try attaching the computer to another computer and seeing if I can do a firmware update...hmm.
I'm getting a Brother printer soon so I might as well start troubleshooting ahead of time. lol Damn printers!
rolleyes.gif

Try Device Remover first.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_remover_543c.html
1. Change the Display Mode drop down on top to Show only Hidden/Detached Devices.
2. Select all devices, then uncheck everything to do with printers as shown so you don't uninstall your printer that's off - if you have issues with printer drivers you might want to use this as a nuke and start over.
3. Click Remove all Checked on the bottom right.

4. Finally, click Remove all Devices in the windows that pops up.

It's a really powerful version of Device Manager. Extremely handy. Works on WIndows 10 too.
thumb.gif

Don't worry about making backups, that's only if you are messing with devices that are installed or present. This part isn't very risky at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to do a lot of Brother repairs, and I've come across this a couple of times in the past but for some strange reason on some models (and I don't know if this applies to yours) they turn off the NIC or USB port depending on the first configuration. It's also possible if WiFi is enabled that the USB will automatically be disabled so you can try disabling WLAN on the device first.

Failing that to save yourself a bunch of time, plug in a network cable, assign the network to configure via DHCP, browse to the webpage of the printer on the IP address it gets and look in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts