Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

CVG just posted an interview with Futuremark's CEO Jukka Mäkinen and producer of Shattered Horizon, Jaakko Haapasalo. The interview was mostly about Shattered Horizon and the future development of the company, but the inevitable 3DMark managed to sneak right in.

According to Jukka, the second part of Futuremark is hard at work on the next generation 3DMark. The team made a decision to go with DirectX 11-only approach, enabling the team to seriously push the graphics to fantastic levels. Unlike 3DMark Vantage and its somewhat lackluster first test, the "3DMark 2010" comes with several seriously breathtaking tests which remind us of a combination of one of James Cameron movies with the space test bearing similar resemblance to legendary action flick Armageddon from 2000 - in any case, comparable to a triple-Michelin Star feast for 3D connoisseurs.

There is no word when the benchmark could appear, but we take it should come to market in the next 12 months, as GPUs from both AMD and nVidia arrive on both desktop and the mobile front.

Source

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
now when can i have

·
Registered
220 Posts
With any luck they'll take the OpenCL route with the physics this time. I mean for gods sake you have OpenAL for the "audio" but a proprietary physics engine?

Vantage lost a lot of cred thanks to that (IMO for all the people that have to take an internet comment as an insult against their mother).

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I haven't even run Vantage yet, lol.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiaA
View Post

With any luck they'll take the OpenCL route with the physics this time. I mean for gods sake you have OpenAL for the "audio" but a proprietary physics engine?

Vantage lost a lot of cred thanks to that (IMO for all the people that have to take an internet comment as an insult against their mother).

What working OpenCL route for physics?

Hopefully, the new version will have a default setting that can be applied accross the board. Vantage made it annoying to compare cards apples-to-apples.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

What working OpenCL route for physics?

-Maybe they could work with the newly released DMM or not be lazy buttholes and code their own middleware without the aid of one of the companies they're supposed to be benching in the first place?

I mean, if you want to bench gpgpu capability it doesn't even have to be a physics middleware just code SOMETHING in OpenCL and let the card drivers sort it out from there.

A DC bench would be kinda nice too, if for no other reason than to test OCL against another GPU Compute API.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That's great news that they are supporting DX11 and making this 3DMark DX11 only. Perhaps sooner or later we will have DX11 support more in-games and making it more widespread.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just so this one isn't gimped by only using PhysX.

I may be excited for this!!!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiaA View Post
-Maybe they could work with the newly released DMM or not be lazy buttholes and code their own middleware without the aid of one of the companies they're supposed to be benching in the first place?

I mean, if you want to bench gpgpu capability it doesn't even have to be a physics middleware just code SOMETHING in OpenCL and let the card drivers sort it out from there.

A DC bench would be kinda nice too, if for no other reason than to test OCL against another GPU Compute API.
If they developed their own middleware... then would the benchmark be as informative since it isn't one that anyone else uses?

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiaA View Post

Again with the "lazy" myth. Just no.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I bought vantage but really didnt use it that much after i found my system's "sweetspot"

I would like if they had something like a "rental" copy that lets me use it for 3 days at a low price ($2-$3) but doesn't make me re-install it every run.

But with that being said, i'm still on DX10.1 so this isint for me

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I am still with Directx10.0, I'll probably skip Directx11.0 and upgrade around the time Directx12.0 is out you can still run Directx11 games under Directx10 you just don't get to use the Directx11 features

How ever it still is tempting to buy a Directx11 Card

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

If they developed their own middleware... then would the benchmark be as informative since it isn't one that anyone else uses?

- I was always under the impression that a benchmark wasn't simply a glob of middlewares pasted together to emulate an actual gaming environment but a piece of software designed to eliminate random variables for an apples to apples comparison (which could happen to be composed of a bunch of middlewares).

Does anyone take any Futuremark test as anything else but a futuremark test? You can compare two cards within futuremark, but you cannot say that card A is faster in 3Dmark so its going to be faster in any game that uses the same middlewares\\engine that FM uses.

Since FM is only really good at telling how fast card A or B are in FM and nothing else already, why not make the supposedly agnostic benchmark actually agnostic?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Sweeet!!!, since i got win 7 and a 3xxx gpu i can finaly do some proper dx11 benching
(lets see who takes that seriously... i dont even have a rig)
on topic: this should be intresting, i wonder what will be within the ibench's they alway amase me xD

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by not available
View Post

IN YO FACE to everyone that said dx11 was crap and not worth it.

IN YO FACE

cause of this benchmark???

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hope it comes soon before my arse of a friend leaves for college. I can say "so, what IS your 3dmark 2010 score for your GTX 295?" and he will probably give me the bird while I laugh

1 - 20 of 34 Posts