Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: /bsn*

Quote:
It's a bloodbath out there indeed. So last week in less than six weeks from its launch, Microsoft killed its two first phone models and the whole handset project known as Kin. And before we have had time to even digest and understand all the undertones of that bizarre end to a 'strategy' we now see another death in the smartphones space.

GOOGLE NEXUS ONE IS NEXUS LAST
The CEO of Google, Eric Schmidt announced earlier this week that there won't be another Nexus. No Nexus Two. So their first attempt at making a 'superphone' ended a superdud. And rather than try to learn and make it better [something Apple managed tremendously well where its original iPhone 2 was not being accepted internationally], Google decides to end its line of superphones. This is no doubt welcome news to all the 30 or so manufacturers who are committed to the Android platform, to see that Google is not going to compete with them. That initial launch of Nexus One with its 'proprietary' gains to the OS seemed very unfair at the time. But as we ponder how poorly Google managed its smartphones on the Android platform, consider HTC here next.
so whats the next best android-GSM phone now that the nexus is dead?

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Not surprised. They wanted to shove the platform in our throats, not the phone

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
The Nexus did its job.... encourage Android smartphone adoption.

Google (like Microsoft) is not a hardware company.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I thought the Nexus one was a GREAT idea. In fact the BEST idea for a phone. completely carrier unlocked and for all carriers? Who would not want that? But alas it was just an idea that never worked out. The fact is that the only peole that bought the nexus one were hardcore android geeks or friends of android geeks. It was a super fantastic phone but the only way to buy it was to order online? Lame. They have to realize that no amount of awesomeness is going to sway customers from walking in to a store and buying an android phone from the plethora of selection that already exist. I mean how can it compete with the iphone, htc evo, droid, droid incredible, mytouch slide and all the others when you cannot buy it the traditional way. Oh well. Its sad because I liked the phone, just not the method.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

+1. Intel did the same with Moorestown. As soon as adoption exists, they will drop the smartphone making stuff

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Don't care, Nexus was and still is an amazing phone. With so many Android phones coming out from HTC/Motorola there's really no need for Google to have their own models. The Nexus was really just the first really high-end Android phone to encourage everyone else to step up their models' specs, and it did its job; HTC brought the EVO and Motorola brought out the Droid X. Pretty reasonable point of view, a Nexus 2 would really be the same thing as a Droid X/EVO, and Google's practice of selling the phone only directly through them was somewhat a failure...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Yes, and I doubt HTC is going out anytime in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
Don't care, Nexus was and still is an amazing phone. With so many Android phones coming out from HTC/Motorola there's really no need for Google to have their own models. The Nexus was really just the first really high-end Android phone to encourage everyone else to step up their models' specs, and it did its job; HTC brought the EVO and Motorola brought out the Droid X. Pretty reasonable point of view, a Nexus 2 would really be the same thing as a Droid X/EVO, and Google's practice of selling the phone only directly through them was somewhat a failure...
Agreed. The Nexus One was the baseline for the great phones of today, including the iPhone 4 with it's dual-mics inspired by the Nexus One.
It's the current platform for Google to show off what they can do with Android, as well as an overall stellar smartphone. I admit it was a failure sales-wise, but it's the reason we have such great phones out in the market today; a direct push from Google to boost Android handset sales and feature lists (Other companies would think that this is the feature-list Google themselves are willing to offer for a great Android experience. If we exceed this, we'll have it sell by the boatloads).

It's sole purpose was to give Android a boost as well as a sketchpad for Google to be their show-what-they-can-do-with-Android phone.
It achieved that beautifully. I own one.
Besides, Nexus Two doesn't sound as cool.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhythmeister
View Post

HTC Desire FTW! Obviously I'm not just saying that cos I have one... 1GHz CPU in my pocket, mmm.

Nexus One has the same processor, what's your point?

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
achilles heels of the nexus one was the TMO network. what the point of a 3g enabled smartphone if i am on a crap network. if the nexus one was sold in stores at say....verizon or att it would do as well if not better then the DRIOD incredible

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhythmeister
View Post

HTC Desire FTW! Obviously I'm not just saying that cos I have one... 1GHz CPU in my pocket, mmm.

its the same phone, just different shell.....

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mz-n10
View Post

achilles heels of the nexus one was the TMO network. what the point of a 3g enabled smartphone if i am on a crap network. if the nexus one was sold in stores at say....verizon or att it would do as well if not better then the DRIOD incredible

My AT&T Nexus One would like a word with you..

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

I disagree there completely. The problem with all the other Android phones is that once the Android OS is available, you still have to wait for the bloody carrier to customize it and release it for your phone. Hell I'm still waiting for Android 2.1 from 1.5 from Motorola. If they could make it so that Google could just make a default Android that has all the drivers to run any phone and you can just install it from them, I'd be super happy.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
lol HTC isnt going out anytime soon...
HTC made the Nexus One for Google.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
I disagree there completely. The problem with all the other Android phones is that once the Android OS is available, you still have to wait for the bloody carrier to customize it and release it for your phone. Hell I'm still waiting for Android 2.1 from 1.5 from Motorola. If they could make it so that Google could just make a default Android that has all the drivers to run any phone and you can just install it from them, I'd be super happy.
True. I found it pretty weak that the G1 got NOTHING past 1.5. Luckily, XDA and Cyanogen were there to bring us 2.1 to the G1.

I have an HD2 and I'm dying for XDA to fully crack Android onto it already. Not joking. DYING. I HATE this crap that is Windows Mobile.

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

True. I found it pretty weak that the G1 got NOTHING past 1.5. Luckily, XDA and Cyanogen were there to bring us 2.1 to the G1.

I have an HD2 and I'm dying for XDA to fully crack Android onto it already. Not joking. DYING. I HATE this crap that is Windows Mobile.
Yea, it's a shame they haven't made a native Android version of the HD2. GSM version of the Evo is what I'm looking for

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so you guys are telling me the smartphone ecosystem is nowhere near the pc yet?
i thought i could just download android and install it myself as long as i have an android-compatible phone?

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuttz
View Post

so you guys are telling me the smartphone ecosystem is nowhere near the pc yet?
i thought i could just download android and install it myself as long as i have an android-compatible phone?

Doesn't work like that
You'll need to write your own kernel extensions to support the hardware found on your phone

1 - 20 of 42 Posts