Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Quote:

One of the most common rumors about the availability of GeForce GTX 480 series was that the problematic yield would only result in 9,000 boards available worldwide. Sadly for some, truth is completely different.

During the past few weeks, we tried to find out the launch volume of GeForce GTX 470 and GTX 480. Bear in mind that our conversations with nVidia's own partners didn't end well for the Graphzilla of Silicon Valley. In our talks with various company owners and high-level executives it was well, obvious that the situation is just not good for nVidia's ecosystem as a whole.

Getting back to the subject of nVidia's allocation and how come it has more than 2:1 ratio with Cypress GPU at launch, we learned that there is quite a good reason why nVidia's GeForce GTX 480 will come with 480 cores, as we first reported here. According to the sources at hand, nVidia was only able to produce a lowly board figure with 512 cores enabled [low 10s of thousands], thus there was a situation with potential shortage and a media and market backlash. The company acted upon the situation at hand and limited the number of cores, radically increasing the amount of functional GF100 dies. As a result, there should be more than 50,000 Fermi boards [this may not be the final figure, as we could not contact all AIC vendors and OEMs] available in the first 10 days of sales. According to our sources close to heart of the company, nVidia wants to overtake the number of Cypress GPUs [both Hemlock and Cypress, i.e. 5800 and 5900 Series] by the end of this summer. This does not include the mainstream parts of Evergreen family, to which AMD is steadily approaching the number of three million shipped dies [the three million mark should be hit very soon, if not hit already].

We also learned that nVidia shifted allocation of its 40nm wafers from lowly DirectX 10.1 parts into big-die Fermis - those numerous 40nm DX10.1 GPUs weren't only nVidia's plan to capture those 80% of Arrandale designs, but also to keep the highest possible allocation of 40nm process node for itself, and appropriately shifting the allocation from cheap DX10.1 GPUs to high-end Fermi dies. In any case, a clever strategy.

All in all, regardless of you being Green or Red, this will be a good two weeks for graphics. If you chose to acquire Red cards, there will be a series of "adjusted pricing" across the board, while Green cards will show their teeth and show themselves among numerous e-tailers and retailers.

Source

·
Registered
732 Posts
I hope so. It will be good for everyone. But the proof is in the pudding. I wonder how B&M stores will do with inventory?

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious_fishes
View Post

misleading title is misleading.

How is it misleading? It's the same as the source and they talk about availability in the article.

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
The title is kind of vague and as such a little incorrect. It should say '' Fermi more available than 5800 Series at launch''

The title as it stands is kind of vague because if you want to get picky you could respond to that title with '' But the 5800 series has been out ages before Fermi so availability wise 5800 has done better''

Meh that's what came across my mind.

·
Banned
3,579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

The title is kind of vague and as such a little incorrect. It should say '' Fermi more available than 5800 Series at launch''

The title as it stands is kind of vague because if you want to get picky you could respond to that title with '' But the 5800 series has been out ages before Fermi so availability wise 5800 has done better''

i thought it meant that fermi's yields are higher than 5800's. more available = more produced.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
I know many won't like this, but this is exactly what I got out of the article:

"We were having problems with availability, so we gimped the card to sell more."

I wonder if the 512 core will become available in small quantities or if it will show up when they improve the 40nm process as the 485.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What about the prices ? more cheaper than ATI 5800 Series ?

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicious_fishes
View Post

i thought it meant that fermi's yields are higher than 5800's. more available = more produced.

Agreed.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTurk
View Post

not likely...

Agreed. ATI and the vendors have been making a killing on the 5800 series. The list price on the 5850 is $269. I haven't seen them priced near that since launch. They can easily drop back down to that, and then probably further as well. The smaller dies on the ATI GPU's are more easily produced and they can fit more per wafer.

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

View Post

Fair enough, I'll edit it to make it more clear.

·
Banned
3,579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx
View Post

I know many won't like this, but this is exactly what I got out of the article:

"We were having problems with availability, so we gimped the card to sell more."

I wonder if the 512 core will become available in small quantities or if it will show up when they improve the 40nm process as the 485.

it'll be the 485. same as once it improves there will be a 475 like the 216 core 260 was.

485 will be 512 cores and they'll stick some faster ram on it, maybe up the core/shader clock speed as well. it's pretty predictable.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

View Post

have to agree with this, but then again, it's the source's title, so we can't blame Openyoureyes.

thanks for the post

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
There SHOULD be more available at launch than the 5800 series. They've had 6 months to catch-up and plan their counterattack. Although they've less experience with 40nm

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
@OP

Pretty obvious subject and conclusion. Nothing in the recent history of video cards was every as bad as the yields at the launch of the Radeon 5k series. Nvidia wins this battle by default. Even if Nvidia still has some small shortages, it will not come close to comparing the low ~20%-30% wafer yields of August through December 2009. Since ATi had this misfortune, speculators are still assuming Nvidia will experience this same fate.

Myths and bad information around the IT community spread fast and seem to last forever.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts