Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post...

OK, this is really starting to bug me. I've been getting this BSOD randomly for about a month now, but more frequently recently. Last weekend, I was overclocking and keeping track of what changes to the BIOS I made, what worked, what didn't, all that jazz. I would run 15 minute OCCT runs before moving on to the next 'level', and if I got a BSOD then, I would increase volts, or whatnot. Things seemed to be normal for OCing(meaning that I know that BSOD's will happen during overclocking, usually meaning instability of some sort), but then I started getting them for no apparent reason. I turned off the Windows instant reboot when it crashes, so I could look at the codes.

The 0x00000124 seems to be prevalent. So I searched the web for info. It varies from post to post, website to website. Some say it's an nVidia driver issue, and since I just got the latest drivers, I thought that might be it. Some say it's an issue with onboard sound, but since I didn't get the Supreme FXII thing with my open-box Rampage, and it's disabled in the BIOS, I figured it wasn't this. However, I have also been experiencing random crashes that seem to stutter on the last nanosecond of a sound from a game I'll be playing (City of Heroes, Crysis, HL2), and freeze the screen, but no blue screen.

I thought it might be related to my overclock, so for simple testing purposes, I put everything back to default, including my 9800GTX. I'm tired, I've had a long day, and since the doc just told me today that my blood pressure is a bit higher than it was(and it was already a bit high), I just don't have it in me to really do anything more tonight.

So what I ask of my fellow OCN users is some suggestions. If reverting things back to normal doesn't pinpoint it as an OC issue, what are some of the other things I can do to try and figure this out? Has anyone else experienced similar things with some similar hardware? I'm willing to try most anything.

So I leave it in your good hands, brethren! Don't let me down!

• Rep+
Reactions: bigal1542

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
124 = One of many symptoms of an unstable OC.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what do think is my weak point? These are the settings I just changed in my BIOS:

CPU Voltage: 1.3500v - Reads: 1.336v
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.50v - Reads: 1.568v
NorthBridge Voltage: 1.33v - Reads: 1.328v
DRAM Voltage: 2.20v - Reads: 2.224v
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40v - Reads: 1.312v
SouthBridge Voltage: 1.075v - Reads: 1.088v
SB 1.5 Voltage: 1.50v - Reads: 1.52v
LLC: Enabled

Do things look ok? Anything in particular I can play around with? I'm lost...heh

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I needed a slight bump to the PLL voltage on the Rampage Formula (to 1.52 setting) and a bit more FSB termination voltage than that, to get a 450 FSB stable.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
I needed a slight bump to the PLL voltage on the Rampage Formula (to 1.52 setting) and a bit more FSB termination voltage than that, to get a 450 FSB stable.
OK, I'll see what that does. How much higher can I go with the FSB term voltage? Just a few notches? As long as the setting still stays green in my BIOS, am I safe? I don't want to crank it as high as it can go...but I assume that the color coding of my MB is there for a reason?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Green is fine, yellow is get better cooling, red is fried chip temperature.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
YOu could take a looksie at the event viewer -- and see what was happening right before the BSOD in the system events-- it might give you some added info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts