Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running on nVidia 290.53.

What i did was:

1: I left my PC on for the past 5 days, cooling is good, maintaining at 50-60 degrees celcius.
2: Came home not a few hrs ago, started to watch some animation using MPC
3: Nvidia driver starts to acts up, kept saying "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, version 290.53 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
4: This went on a few times as far as i can see MPC is being used.
5: BSOD.

This symptom has been like this regardless if i am dual-monitor or single. Running on 2 x GeForce GTX 460 1GB, SLI mode. Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 is used as well.

Wondering if there is a conflict between these two?

Anyone had this occurrence and has a solution to it? This recovery business is getting on my nerves because i am stuck like this.

EDITED: Reverted back to 285.62, still having same problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok problem occurs when i activate SLI, the Voltage seems to be staying at the safety range as you mentioned. Could i access that it might be second GPU faulty or something else about it?

·
Banned
1,132 Posts
This happened to me, then my system started hanging at the log in screen. However it would be fine if drivers where not installed. Even the older whql drivers. I tested with cards seperately, and discovered I had a fauly gpu. Neveer even ran it oc`d, had plenty of air flow. It just happens it seems. Hopefully not the case with you but get it rma`d if you can.

Infact my system started failing to post and everything after discovering the gpu was at fault, started hearing funny noises coming from the psu, so I replaced it BAM and it fired up straight away. It could be that the old psu went and fried my card who knows. Good luck

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thus far, idling is ok, but playing anything that has to do with making both cards running cause the problem. Weird, really.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had that same problem with my 580. Drivers kept crashing whenever I wanted to start playing a game.

Later then I (out of curiosity) used both separate pci-e cables for the 580 (one for the 8pin and the other for the 6pin) and that fixed the problem. Looks like this PSU can't handle that power in each PCI-E cable.

When I SLI i'll also have to buy another PSU

·
Registered
684 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me with my old card 9800 GTX, it was the beginning of the end. The ram on the card went bad and after a a couple of weeks with the BSOD my card died.
redface.gif

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by experience333 View Post

I had that same problem with my 580. Drivers kept crashing whenever I wanted to start playing a game.
Later then I (out of curiosity) used both separate pci-e cables for the 580 (one for the 8pin and the other for the 6pin) and that fixed the problem. Looks like this PSU can't handle that power in each PCI-E cable.
When I SLI i'll also have to buy another PSU
Recommended solution? So i have to use different power cables instead of using the split ones?

EDITED: My both GPUs are running fine for the past month till recently, guess might be the GPU problem.

EDITED 2: I also found out that I already supplying more than enough power supply (750W Antec PS) And that running on one works ok.

EDITED 3: I swapped the top with the bottom and the same for the top GPU; and sprayed some contact cleaner and put a RAM fan just near the top GPU to cool it down as much as it can. Awaiting results to see how this runs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I really think it may be your gpu's.

You did reinstall drivers completely right? Deleted registry, all folder and stuff?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye, it seems to work fine as of now because i let it rest after usage for the day, guess might be overheating of the cards or driver problem, that i won't know. This might only be a temporary solution though. Swapping over the cards seems to work fine... for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts