Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've oc'd my 7800gt to 508mhz and never had a problem. Games and 3D apps have been running fine. However yesterday I started getting BSOD crashes for no reason when I was using 3DS max. I couldn't even run FEAR either, it would crash as soon as it was loading. The GPU temp at that moment was 43 degrees. I dropped the OC to 495 and it worked fine again.

I didn't change anything yesterday so why would it suddenly crash like that? When playing a game the temp goes up to 64. Is the card damaged from heat, although I know 64 degrees isn't that much.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Isn't 3D Max a 3D designing program that's heavy on video cards, RAM, and the CPU?

If so, then that might be the reason. Your card wasn't stable in the first place, but sure it ran games fine. BUT as soon as heavy load started coming, the card couldn't handle it.

That happened when I was ocing. I was running the CPU fine overclocked, then as soon as some benchies or even [email protected] started running, the CPU couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
u meen 64 degrees celcius lol? because that is pretty hot but that shouldnt hurt and graphics card... you never know it could be possibly flawed make sure all your drivers etc are up to date... as usual and if you dont get the error after you backed down the clock then thats the problem and you solved it yourself.... It's weird how graphics cards act tho even if they are cool they can still mess up for some odd reason.. that probably no one knows about to well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

Isn't 3D Max a 3D designing program that's heavy on video cards, RAM, and the CPU?

If so, then that might be the reason. Your card wasn't stable in the first place, but sure it ran games fine. BUT as soon as heavy load started coming, the card couldn't handle it.

That happened when I was ocing. I was running the CPU fine overclocked, then as soon as some benchies or even [email protected] started running, the CPU couldn't handle it.

Well it ran 3DsMax and games fine before with the same OC settings. That's what I find weird, it was stable at these settings for the whole week. I was using 3DsMax for over 4hrs but the temps never went higher then 43 degrees celsius. FEAR would crash right away.

Driver's are up to date too.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Although it seems related to your Vcard--I would suggest thinking back if there are any other changes to your system--did you install any SW, update any drivers, add or recable any HDWR, or otherwise alter your system? The wierdest things can cause an IRQ issue or some other communication disorder in the OS...just a thought.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Heat=STOPPAGE
Did you think of the fact that the room temperature could have been a few degrees lower last week...it only takes a few degrees to pass the threshold...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No changes in hardware, software (I only installed Doom3 since last week), I even ran MemTest86 thinking it was my RAM but it passed. So yeah it is a bit weird.

As for room temp, it's actually lower then last week too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE

strange events....hmmm

Strange events indeed.

I'll check tonight if it does it again, maybe it's one of those things that happen once and you'll never see again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.