Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I just put together this rig for a friend of mines. I'm trying to install XP right now. However, it's loading the files and then all of a sudden I get a BSOD. Says here,

pci.sys address F748E0BF base at F748000, datestamp 3b7d855c.

Can anyone help me make sense of this? It's an E5200 on a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Make sure everything is plugged in and is compatible with everything else. Make sure your RAM is in the right slots and the power connections are right as well.

Have you tried to overclock at all? If so, go back to normal speeds.

Lastly, try resetting the CMOS.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
try to run a Ubunto system check for the ram

Are you atleast able to boot up?? And is your OS a hacked version, meaning not an actual versio, because there may be a problem there..

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure its a real version. It's just super old. Like, the disc was all yellow. I know I used it back in 03, and I had a newer installation disc, but I can't seem to find it. Is there any way I can get an .iso of Windows XP off of Microsoft or something? As for booting, I can do that at least. I can get into the BIOS and everything. I'm not going to overclock, seeing how much trouble I'm getting already. And what is this Ubunto system check for RAM?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerealk1ll3r View Post
I'm pretty sure its a real version. It's just super old. Like, the disc was all yellow. I know I used it back in 03, and I had a newer installation disc, but I can't seem to find it. Is there any way I can get an .iso of Windows XP off of Microsoft or something? As for booting, I can do that at least. I can get into the BIOS and everything. I'm not going to overclock, seeing how much trouble I'm getting already. And what is this Ubunto system check for RAM?
You don't have any problem with hardware!

Bet, (ok... I don't need to bet because of the pci.sys error your getting), your XP disk is an initial release, and doesn't contain any service packs.

The original XP disks won't install onto a computer that has a PCI-e slot thats enabled in the BIOS, without slipstreaming XP SP2 onto the install disk.

Do a search on the net to find the process of doing this (search for slipstreaming XP-XP SP2) , you will need the original XP disk, a copy of the SP2 files, a program to extract the SP2 files, a blank writeable CD, another computer with CD burning software to create the new install disk.

Good luck, but it's not really that hard.. you should find many websites with step by step instructions.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wow, thank you so much. Gonna get right on that slipstreaming.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, you were exactly right! My disc was Windows XP, no SP! Got SP3 slipstreamed onto there, it finally got to installation!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xandypx
View Post

See... now I learned something... usually slipstreaming with SP3 is hit or miss..

What do you mean by hit or miss?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean like, whats different from SP2 and SP3 slipstreaming?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerealk1ll3r
View Post

I mean like, whats different from SP2 and SP3 slipstreaming?

What I meant was sometimes SP3 doesn't like to install (integrate) directly into the the initial release of XP, and the install fails.... nothing more... If XP installed... then your good to go.

EDIT: I should also note... that by slipstreaming SP3.... You saved yourself a whole lot of time..... and disk space.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used some program (nLite) and it was a breeze.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts