8500 Core 2 Duo Wolfdale
ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard
8800GTS 640mb Video Card EVGA
OCZ DDR2 800MHz 4-1G sticks
Coolermaster 550W power supply 2 rail I believe

150GB Raptor
300GB 7200RPM WD HDD
SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
No overclocks just running stock everything.
Drivers all up to date and to 64 Bit.

64 Bit Vista Ultimate

Thats my setup and basically I have been having some weird issues. It will BSOD and just restart at random (Restart as if I just hit the restart button). It does not have to be doing anything I have had a restart just running Firefox and BSOD anywhere from firefox to running a game. Also I get a BSOD when I try to confirm the performance agreement in Ntune, but rivatuner works fine. Superpi mod will get random errors and will stop working as will Speed fan. When I try to open 3DMark06 I get the error message "This application has failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix the problem." I have reinstalled and downloaded from different sources. The bar that pops up when starting windows that has the green thing slide across freezes in the same place every start up and it takes longer than normal for it to turn on.

This is basically what I have been having as far as issues go. This is a fresh copy of windows :swearing:. Could this be my power supply or does it seem like something else?

I ran 13 passes of memtest86 V3.5 with 0 errors and orthos for 14 hours with no issues.

I have had problems like this for a while over 2 different ASUS motherboards!!!!! coincidence? or not?

Please help me I am getting very annoyed with this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Have you run a virus scan? I recommend AVG Free or Avast for anti - virus/spyware/adware. Other than that, or a bad CPU/GPU/MOBO/PSU, I cannot thing of anything else that could be causing these errors.

If what I just said fails, try a fresh install of windows and a disk format.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebster
View Post

Have you run a virus scan? I recommend AVG Free or Avast for anti - virus/spyware/adware. Other than that, or a bad CPU/GPU/MOBO/PSU, I cannot thing of anything else that could be causing these errors.

If what I just said fails, try a fresh install of windows and a disk format.

I have had the problems just after I reinstalled windows before it was even connected to the internet. The install was after a disk format.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It may have been a bad install, very VERY rarely, something gets incorrectly copied from the install disk and doesn't get picked up by the windows install. Like I said, only re-install as a last resort, but it might be the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlasov_581
View Post

have you tried uninstalling ntune?

I did.

Quote:

View Post

It may have been a bad install, very VERY rarely, something gets incorrectly copied from the install disk and doesn't get picked up by the windows install. Like I said, only re-install as a last resort, but it might be the problem.

I am going to try a reinstall. I was wondering if there could be a hardware issue. I am hoping this fixes it haha

·
Registered
663 Posts
Indeed, If it DOESN'T fix it, then I would say its a hardware error. If you haven't started the windows re-install yet, I would recommend googleing the BSOD code. It might give you a clue as to what is causing them.

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
i've noticed that you are using 4 x 1GB sticks.....try running just 2 x 1GB and switch them around if the problem persists.....might be a bad ram stick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

View Post

Indeed, If it DOESN'T fix it, then I would say its a hardware error. If you haven't started the windows re-install yet, I would recommend googleing the BSOD code. It might give you a clue as to what is causing them.

Is there a log for those errors somewhere in windows or do I need a pen and paper handy for when it happens?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

View Post

memtest MIGHT have picked up an error if there is one, but sometimes MOBOs and CPUs have wierd issues with a full RAM bank. (4x1, 4x2, 4xwhatever)

ahh I will try this. Pray for me!!

Quote:

View Post

so all the parts are new and none were used from a previous setup?

Mother Board and processor are new. All the other parts are about 1-2 years old.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
how about NOT adding the sound card. see if that helps, and nuke your HDD and reinstall windows again.

all drivers should be stock and 64bit compatible

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

View Post

how old is the harddrive?

Both drives are maby 10 months old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lokster
View Post

how about NOT adding the sound card. see if that helps, and nuke your HDD and reinstall windows again.

all drivers should be stock and 64bit compatible

Why should I not add the sound card?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts