Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
read the spoilers :) , you need too unpack it and open it with right mouse button with admin rights
click on load config,select the extreme 1 anta config in the bin file,from the tm5 directory
I accidentally said I had no errors but that was when I ran the memtest at default. Right now I'm running it using Extreme 1. How long does it take?

·
Premium Member
10,252 Posts
It is old but not 7 years old. The thing is, wouldn't I see issues in games if it was the PSU?
Sure seems like what logic would dictate, however I seem to remember the early RTX 30 series having some odd power draw spikes defying that logic.

Nvida recommends 750 watts for the 3080 is what I am seeing on some sites - my 3090 / 5800X will regularly draw 700 + in gaming or benching firestrike. I have a 3070ti, which might be more comparable but I've not put a meter to it yet.

I'd have HWINFO log your voltages etc during normal use and see if there isn't some droop on the 12 volt readings. Not sure where you live in the world, where I live it is warming up , maybe temps have something to do with it? I think that PSU has a silent mode too, is that enabled?

At any rate, it's just a thought - hope you get it sorted out .

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
If the PSU was not big enough it would just shut down it would not BSOD
I found out my RAM was messed up a few weeks ago and the RAM needed to be RMA´ed so i know a lot about random crashes and BSOD´s because of bad RAM

Download memtest86 to a USB device and fellow their guide on how to make it bootable and then put it in a USB port restart go into your BIOS and boot from the USB device
16 GB of RAM takes about 3 and half hours to finish testing and 32 GB taking twice that so let it run over night or something if you have 32 GB

To me this sound like a RAM and not a PSU problem

If your RAM has gone bad it will corrupt the OS until its f´ed up beyond repair and any file you have open during a BSOD also risks getting corrupted so if you dont check your RAM you risk having data lost to corruption

If the test come back and report errors replace your RAM thankfully its one of the easiest parts to swap and DDR4 is still easy to find and somewhat affordable

·
Old and Crochity
5,288 Posts
turn off hardware acceleration in the options of the browsers, it's likely it's trying to access the video card and either your PSU or something else in the system doesn't like it.

Alternatively you could take the minidump created by the BSOD and use WINDBG found here - Download Debugging Tools for Windows - WinDbg - Windows drivers

Run !analyze -v

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If the PSU was not big enough it would just shut down it would not BSOD
I found out my RAM was messed up a few weeks ago and the RAM needed to be RMA´ed so i know a lot about random crashes and BSOD´s because of bad RAM

Download memtest86 to a USB device and fellow their guide on how to make it bootable and then put it in a USB port restart go into your BIOS and boot from the USB device
16 GB of RAM takes about 3 and half hours to finish testing and 32 GB taking twice that so let it run over night or something if you have 32 GB

To me this sound like a RAM and not a PSU problem

If your RAM has gone bad it will corrupt the OS until its f´ed up beyond repair and any file you have open during a BSOD also risks getting corrupted so if you dont check your RAM you risk having data lost to corruption

If the test come back and report errors replace your RAM thankfully its one of the easiest parts to swap and DDR4 is still easy to find and somewhat affordable
Thanks for your response. I agree with your opinion. I would think it the ram before it being the PSU. I also hope of its anything, it's the ram as you said, it would be the easiest to replace. I also wonder if it's the Samsung nvme drive. Any idea how I can check that?

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
turn off hardware acceleration in the options of the browsers, it's likely it's trying to access the video card and either your PSU or something else in the system doesn't like it.

Alternatively you could take the minidump created by the BSOD and use WINDBG found here - Download Debugging Tools for Windows - WinDbg - Windows drivers

Run !analyze -v
Have you used the WINDBG tool before? How were the results?

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I ran the debug tool and this is what I got:
Font Parallel Number Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Chrome-based browsers have caused me no ends of headaches on many systems; it usually comes down to the hardware acceleration option as Darkpriest667 said.

Another possible software culprit could be drivers if you've updated recently; I've had particularly poor luck with nVidia drivers in Windows over the years, so I now tend to find a driver which is stable and only update when either a) a new game manifests an issue which is fixed in a different driver or b) publication of major security flaws.

I've also had issues with the recent raft of Windows updates, one system really didn't like the last Patch Tuesday.

Eliminate software options before looking at hardware (although RAM is an easy check). That said, until recently Event 41 was always a PSU issue. I say, "until recently" because my new Asus AMD Edition laptop needed a BIOS and VBIOS update to stop randomly rebooting when switching off the dedicated 6800M GPU. OK, that was power related in it's own way, but a system that was previously OK (for years, it seems) would mean either sometime changed in the software or a component went bad...

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Chrome-based browsers have caused me no ends of headaches on many systems; it usually comes down to the hardware acceleration option as Darkpriest667 said.

Another possible software culprit could be drivers if you've updated recently; I've had particularly poor luck with nVidia drivers in Windows over the years, so I now tend to find a driver which is stable and only update when either a) a new game manifests an issue which is fixed in a different driver or b) publication of major security flaws.

I've also had issues with the recent raft of Windows updates, one system really didn't like the last Patch Tuesday.

Eliminate software options before looking at hardware (although RAM is an easy check). That said, until recently Event 41 was always a PSU issue. I say, "until recently" because my new Asus AMD Edition laptop needed a BIOS and VBIOS update to stop randomly rebooting when switching off the dedicated 6800M GPU. OK, that was power related in it's own way, but a system that was previously OK (for years, it seems) would mean either sometime changed in the software or a component went bad...
Wow. This is a lot of information. I just updated drivers to eliminate that issue. I also disabled hardware acceleration on Chrome. I also ran a couple of instances of TM5 memory test with no errors. If I get another error, I will try a new PSU.

·
Old and Crochity
5,288 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
I also wonder if it's the Samsung nvme drive. Any idea how I can check that?
Hard Drive Sentinel has a free version and you should install it in any case since it keep taps on your drives
In fact i would recommend you buy it since the paid version has a number of extra tests and checks

If rolling back to an older driver and disabling hardware acceleration does not fix the problem its probably RAM so use memtest86 it tests outside of the OS so its much better
Also one thing Event 41 has never been a PSU issue it just means the system has not shut down like it should

I have had a lot of problems with my PC other than the RAM i had to RMA and i finally found why it was shutting down at random even after buying a new PSU RAM and SSD

The vibrations from the six hard drive in my system had shaken the screws in some of the case stand off´s just lose enough that the motherboard would short on the case and i got tons of Event 41´s because of that

I sent an email to Fractal Design asking for new case stand off´s and screws which i got last week

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. This is a lot of information. I just updated drivers to eliminate that issue. I also disabled hardware acceleration on Chrome. I also ran a couple of instances of TM5 memory test with no errors. If I get another error, I will try a new PSU.
I had this issue on my last pc what i had to do was clean the ram chip ( with an eraser) and if that didnt work i just had to replace the ram chip its a ram problem since you had things loaded

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Said you have had the PC for years. Think hard, is there anything NEW that you installed Hardware/Software?
When you say you had a similar issue, what do you mean? Same errors?

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Overclocks without enough voltage. Led to shutdowns at idle. sometimes after owning a CPU for years it can degrade slightly and require more voltage. It could explain what you had going on. Maybe not.
Only overclock I have is the XMP settings. Have a link to tge latest memtest with instructions? I might try that.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So last night I ram Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Firs I ran two default passes and no problem. Then I ran 15 passes of the Extended version and it got stuck on the 4th pass. I needed to do a hard reset. So for now Im thinking its the ram but I want to run a ream Memtest to make sure. Can someone provide me a link with instructions on how to use memtest?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,702 Posts
So last night I ram Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. Firs I ran two default passes and no problem. Then I ran 15 passes of the Extended version and it got stuck on the 4th pass. I needed to do a hard reset. So for now Im thinking its the ram but I want to run a ream Memtest to make sure. Can someone provide me a link with instructions on how to use memtest?
There are instructions in the file you download from the memtest86 website or at least it had them when i downloaded it

Its not the easiest thing in the world to figure out but what you need is a USB device with no files on it and the program you download will change the USB device to make it bootable

What you then do is restart the PC and go into the BIOS and boot from the USB and memtest86 will start up instead of the OS

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There are instructions in the file you download from the memtest86 website or at least it had them when i downloaded it

Its not the easiest thing in the world to figure out but what you need is a USB device with no files on it and the program you download will change the USB device to make it bootable

What you then do is restart the PC and go into the BIOS and boot from the USB and memtest86 will start up instead of the OS
Thank you very much!!! I will run it this weekend and report back.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts