Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am using vista 64 Ultimate and I have just reinstalled Windows. I got a digital box because of the digital switch and now I can't set up my HVR 1800, I keep getting BSODs. It used to work fine before using the box. Analog come back....... anyway....
So I called Hauppauge and tried getting their help. The guy wanted to see the error message and he wants me to use the Small Memory dump or minidump or whatever it is.
He showed me where it was, which was at C:/Windows/minidump. I am in a little over my head as far as what this will show, but this should help him diagnose my issue so he said.
So After I set Windows to save this message I went through the set up again so I could get the BSOD so I could show him the message. I got the BSOD and restarted and went to look for the message. I can find the file, but I can't open it to see the error. I get the error message " Windows can't open this file....." I did a little research and found this and I thought I could use this to read the file. What I don't know is: this is a command line utility, can I look at this Windows file using it? If so how? If not how do I open this file so I can find the error? It has a .dmp extension, that is why I assume I can't read it. Is this really why or is it something else? It is a Windows utility, shouldn't Windows be able to open it's own files? Am I missing something from when I reformatted that I need?
I found plenty of places that think I should run their registry scan for free, then i imagine they will want to sell me their wares. I haven't found anywhere how I can open this file. Can anyone help? As you can see, I am pretty dim when it comes to Windows.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just to make sure, did you install the drivers after the reformat?
Here is the link to the driver page (its at the bottom of the page)
It says you only need the driver for it to work with Windows Media Center.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I tried several drivers from that page. The guy from hauppauge said it shouldn't be a driver issue, that's why he wanted to see what the minidump file said that I can't get access to.
I am still stumped as to why Windows can't access it's own file. It is like a Windows record of what happened right before, or what caused the BSOD and Windows can't open the file. Strange.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts